Neymar Jr.

BarcaVillain

I'm an honest person and maybe butthurt fans or patriotic fans (Mbappé being french) will tell you otherwise but Neymar is by far the best PSG player. Then it is Mbappé and Verratti. Then the quality drops a lot and it would be Di Maria when he is hot with Marquinhos and Thiago Silva. The rest are not top players.

Edit : However, Mbappé is worth more and is more desirable because he is so young and you have to factor in he can still progress. Also he has not been injured like Neymar. Neymar despite his injury has the best ratio of goals and assists by game played in the whole history of PSG. This alone should tell you what you need when people say he is bad at PSG.

Being young does not guarantee that you improve. Look at Michael Owen. European player of the year, went to Madrid still young and could have been immense. Rooney arguably in the same bracket. Ronaldinho after he left.

Mitchell1978

All the talk about him being the 2e best player in the world doesn't change the fact that right now at age 27 (and a half) he hasn't lived up to expectations.

Based on talent he's perhaps the 2e best but certainly not based on performance last season.

serghei

All the talk about him being the 2 best player in the world doesn't change the fact that right now at age 27 (and a half) he hasn't lived up to expectations.

He's not the 2nd best player in the world. He is barely top 10 these days. He could be if he gets his shit together, but it's not likely.

Laplacian

Somebody doesn't understand that at Barcelona he was great against the best teams in the world, and at PSG he was great vs teams from cities known more for mustards and mayonnaise than football.

Neymar was better at PSG than at Barcelona biggest joke of the night. Give me one performance vs an elite team comparable to Neymar's game in the 6-1 vs PSG in the last two years lol.

See, that's better. Say it clearly next time, "yeah but it's just a farmer's league." At least like that you don't look like a disingenuous bloke. His individual ability is far better than it ever was for us, only way you could ever deny this is if you're blinded by your rage from the 2017 summer.

He's better, but he's playing in a poorer league. Glad we cleared that up.

Laplacian

No it doesn't, the first half of the 17/18 season with PSG he has was really good untill he got injured, but he hasn't returned to that level since.

Eh, because he played more as a creator/attacking midfielder under Tuchel. Under Emery he was more of a wide forward and was making far more runs behind defenses than he does under Tuchel, for the latter the goalscoring was left up to other players like Di Maria, Mbappe, and Cavani. He also attempts less take ons because his new position doesn't allow for the kind of recklessness he shows on the wings. When you watch him though, his burst of acceleration, agility, creativity and technique is actually better than his season under Emery. I haven't checked but I assure you his playmaking stats are just as good or probably better than his 2017/2018 season.

His reputation has declined, his stature as a footballer has declined, he is a laughing stock after the world cup...but physically he hasn't declined at all. I don't know how you can watch PSG regularly and conclude that he's declined, it's demonstrably false.

serghei

Whose better apart from Messi and FDJ ?

Salah and Van Dijk easily. Possibly Mane too. Sterling in the last 2 seasons. Cristiano Ronaldo easily.

Stupid to say Neymar is top 2 in the last 2 years when you have guys from Liverpool and City beasting it up setting up records and winning CLs, playing incredible football.

But... with the stat-tards everything is possible.

ebc_99

Neymar is a better player now than he was 2 years ago, I don't think there is much doubt about that, some people are letting their dislike of him cloud their judgement or know full well he is better but just won't admit it. With Ronaldo 34 now, I would say Neymar is the second best when he is fit.

He has had a pretty fantastic career, but compared to Ronaldo and Messi it looks like he has underachieved but his career is not over yet and at 27 he has another 5 years at the top if not more. The fact that he is not happy to sit in Paris and earn loads of money and win easy titles suggests to me he that he has realised his mistake and will make the most of his second chance.

Newcomer

Being young does not guarantee that you improve. Look at Michael Owen. European player of the year, went to Madrid still young and could have been immense. Rooney arguably in the same bracket. Ronaldinho after he left.

I agree with you but it is the reason why Mbappé is more valuable (the most valuable player). A 27 y.o. Mbappé with the same level than he has now is worth a lot less.

Imo, Mbappé will never be as good as Neymar but i can see him having a better career. Bit like CR7 is not a better player than Messi but he is still outstanding and so clutch in CL.

Riordon

I'm still waiting on you listing world class performances vs world class teams from Neymar in the last 2 years.

You are putting words in my mouth, relax a bit mate. I said that every stat nerd and data out there shows Neymar is clearly the better player than he was to years ago, or at least on the same level.

Newcomer

All the talk about him being the 2e best player in the world doesn't change the fact that right now at age 27 (and a half) he hasn't lived up to expectations.

Based on talent he's perhaps the 2e best but certainly not based on performance last season.

Hard to live up to expectations when you are injured half season. In CL, he scored 5 goals and gave 2 assists in the group of death with Liverpool the future winner in it. And he was in terrible form in the first half, especially at Liverpool, because he was still out of form from his previous injury.

Neymar couldn't have better statistics with the little amount of games played. Almost 1 goal by game, 1 assist every 2 games and so many chances created.

[tw]1158119344389447680[/tw]

People always talk about Mbappé scoring record and it is impressive. But people don't see the amount of times Neymar spoonfed Mbappé and Cavani goals and they missed.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans