Neymar Jr. - v5

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
These comments make it sound as if he played a terrible game. I disagree, I think he was pretty good overall. Some great runs, some great combination plays, and generally very involved and threatening.

However, it'd be wrong to dismiss his poor finishing today as 'bad luck'. There is a very clear difference between the Neymar of say the 14/15 season who looked like a very clinical finisher and the Neymar of now. He's direct and effective when dribbling down the wing, that's where a majority of his assists have come from and his most impressive dribbles. However, he is insanely indirect when he's trying to play up the more central areas of the pitch. His path to goal is often filled with very complicated maneuvers, crosses, passes and trying to draw fouls from the man at his back. His sideways/backwards dribbles play right into the objectives of the defense, just trying to crowding Neymar and shepherding him away from vulnerable areas and thus neutralizing his threat. All of these tendencies make him much less effective attacking through traffic than a player of his skillset should be. I doubt it'll be done, but I'd be very interested to see someone make a statistical breakdown of Neymar's effectiveness with passing/crossing/dribbling/goals/chance creation through plays in the middle vs on the wing. I think the disparity in the success of his actions between the two areas would be VERY staggering.

I don't know what this means for Neymar's future. I think one of the main conclusions is that, unless he can reinvent himself (which is entirely possible), we'll never build around Neymar playing centrally in attack during the post-Messi (or deep midfield Messi) era. The idea of Neymar playing as a CAM or as a false 9 or any central tending role seems entirely incompatible with the way he plays at the moment. If Messi doesn't end up moving to a 3 man midfield and doesn't play at RW (I doubt playing Messi on the wings be feasible even 1-2 years from now) then maybe we'll end up with some sort of 4-4-2 with Neymar as LM. Whatever it is, the next managers will have a big issue of finding a system that gets the best out of Neymar when he is the primary threat and the opposition start to shift most of their focus to defending him.

Meatball

With Mou's brain, this guy would be the GOAT!

Nope! Cuz even Mou's brain can't make his finishing any better nor help him think faster in situations requiring quick decision making! But if he puts on more works strengthening his weaknesses, he can get close to that!

Total-Football

I thought he did very well today .. we kept Possession thanks to his ball hog because the rest of midfielders can't enchain 3 passes together without Gomes fucking up or Rakitic giving t back to Stegen. Was unlucky in some of those too .. ( cursed ? ) i'm not superstitious but i know for a fact that Neymar is no Robinho .. Dude can shoot (psg free-kick) and can finish ( Brazil) .. It's just with Barca he can't for some reason. His constant looking for Messi doesn't help neither.. When we were up 3-0 you can clearly say he was trying to faint the defender and giving the ball to Messi on a silver plater .. That led to a Glitch in his mind and he consequently lost the ball.

Windhook

Okay now after having a couple of glasses of wine I can resume my work...:cheers:

In terms of being threat to Espanyol he was effective. The bad thing from tonight is the refs are probably going to overlook most of the fouls against him in the future, just like challenges on Cristiano. That's what you get for disrespecting officials and Neymar has to adapt to a more humble approach from now on. As I said earlier he needs to shoot more and seek Messi less inside the area - Neymar finds Messi, but the Argentine is surrounded by 2-3 players and 90% of his shots are blocked, obviously this is not working.

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
Okay now after having a couple of glasses of wine I can resume my work...:cheers:

In terms of being threat to Espanyol he was effective. The bad thing from tonight is the refs are probably going to overlook most of the fouls against him in the future, just like challenges on Cristiano. That's what you get for disrespecting officials and Neymar has to adapt to a more humble approach from now on. As I said earlier he needs to shoot more and seek Messi less inside the area - Neymar finds Messi, but the Argentine is surrounded by 2-3 players and 90% of his shots are blocked, obviously this is not working.

Drunk rambling.

just jk. Seriously he just needs to shoot more. He tries to be too creative sometimes. Needs to be more crude, deadly. Just find the hole, and fire a shot. He did it once tonight and it was saved by diego lopez. For a guy of his skill it is as easy as it looked. He needs to rack up some goals. Hopefully next season we'll see him beat this mental block or whatever it is. Its gotta be mental cus it sure as hell isn't his skill.

Paco as LW never ever had to drop that deep all the time (not that he'd be good at tit either).

I'm inclined to give Lucho a lot of credit for the flak i give Neymar.

El Barcelona

I understand the frustration that some people here have. I see a whole different Neymar when he plays for the brazilian NT and I don't get why.

Huge part of why is Lucho. It's telling that Neymar's best periods came in the first part of 2015, when Lucho's influence was weakest after the Anoeta fallout, and in the 6 weeks or so of Messi's absence, when the team obviously couldn't play by the usual Lucho tactics, whatever they are.

BusiTheKing

He's lacks the confidence that will put all the pieces in the right places. Still great at transforming a simple ball at his feet with an opponent in his back into a good attack as evident in Rakitic' goal.

mark1nhu

I don't think he was that poor, neither he was the reason the team was not that good in the first half.

Anyway, Raki goal started with him, if you look it a little more closer. He was the one playing very deep and hogging the ball until he finds Messi between the lines.

After that Messi did what Messi does.

Last edited:

gatsu

Despite his overwhelming talent Neymar biggest problem (not just this season) is his is never in the tempo. To achieve new height that's what he must learn. When to accelerate, when to pass,when to dribble, when to slow down in synchronization with other team members specially busquets, alba and Messi.

With a competent coach it might be possible.

Neymessi

Couldn't watch the game but saw his individual highlights and I have no idea how that game was terrible. He dribbled past players like fun. Just couldn't get an assist or a goal but a good performance still. Didn't have any clear cut 1v1 chance that should have definitely been scored. His decision making sucked though.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans