Nelson Semedo

Andresito

Staff member
Valverde should see the obvious and play Semedo against an attacking Liverpool next week. It's very logical.

FCBfan22

Every sane person with a IQ near the room temperature would've started him today if we intended to defend.

Again, he neutralised Mane in the 2nd half, but our defence was leaking from all sides.

xXKonan

Every sane person with a IQ near the room temperature would've started him today if we intended to defend.

Again, he neutralised Mane in the 2nd half, but our defence was leaking from all sides.
I mean is it really surprising?

We have seen this shit since we signed him. He can have a good game and will go back to the bench. If he has a bad game? yeah, he will get punished for it. I'm convinced if he was a Lucho era player, Valverde would look at him in a different light.

10Rivaldo

Hoy, mañana y siempre traductor
No.

Should have started.

I feel sorry for Semedo

Maybe...I didn't particularly disagree with the idea of subbing him in later in the game because he's shown before that he doesn't have the stamina to last a whole match, and given that we were thin on offensive options on the bench, a Semedo for Coutinho sub at HT/very early in the 2nd half in order to push Sergi up front seemed like a good way to shake up the game if it wasn't going our way. It worked very well in the first leg.

Arizona Scott

Maybe...I didn't particularly disagree with the idea of subbing him in later in the game because he's shown before that he doesn't have the stamina to last a whole match, and given that we were thin on offensive options on the bench, a Semedo for Coutinho sub at HT/very early in the 2nd half in order to push Sergi up front seemed like a good way to shake up the game if it wasn't going our way. It worked very well in the first leg.

I agree. I can see starting Roberto but with the way it went 1st half it was clear we could use him on the right side. Waiting until 3-0 was a massive mistake.

10Rivaldo

I agree. I can see starting Roberto but with the way it went 1st half it was clear we could use him on the right side. Waiting until 3-0 was a massive mistake.

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I was crying for a Semedo/Coutinho HT substitution.

I've honestly been on the fence about Valverde for a while. On one hand we basically play like how Athletic Bilbao would if they had Messi, but on the other hand we manage to squeeze out results in the league and in the CL (at least until we get to the latter stages of the CL). One of Valverde's few demonstrated strengths has been being able to analyze what we're missing mid-game and making the perfect substitutions. But both in this game and Roma 2nd leg, he failed to make a substitution until we were already in a losing position. Why in the world is that? I can't see the board not firing Valverde at this point, and it's probably for the best.

Arizona Scott

Yeah exactly my thoughts. I was crying for a Semedo/Coutinho HT substitution.

I've honestly been on the fence about Valverde for a while. On one hand we basically play like how Athletic Bilbao would if they had Messi, but on the other hand we manage to squeeze out results in the league and in the CL (at least until we get to the latter stages of the CL). One of Valverde's few demonstrated strengths has been being able to analyze what we're missing mid-game and making the perfect substitutions. But both in this game and Roma 2nd leg, he failed to make a substitution until we were already in a losing position. Why in the world is that? I can't see the board not firing Valverde at this point, and it's probably for the best.

Seem to be in over his head vs Klopp for sure, and two season defining slides he had no clue.

Don't know who to get though. Ajax man? Get Poch to reverse his thoughts about his Canaries (too bad they didn't get relegated) connection. This job is one few can handle, Enrique couldn't in the end either.

10Rivaldo

Seem to be in over his head vs Klopp for sure, and two season defining slides he had no clue.

Don't know who to get though. Ajax man? Get Poch to reverse his thoughts about his Canaries (too bad they didn't get relegated) connection. This job is one few can handle, Enrique couldn't in the end either.

Ten Hag feels like a natural match. There's also Jardim. I like Pochettino, but he doesn't seem interested.

10Rivaldo

Jardim was sacked this year in a Ligue 1 side, I know he was rehired but that doesn't seem Barca pedigre.

His best players are sold every transfer window and replaced with unproven talents. Sure, his CV is a bit more blemished compared to Ten Hag or Pochettino, but really not any worse than the likes of Enrique and Rijkaard who both had some awful stints before coming to Barca, and they were still relatively successful. At least Jardim has shown he knows how to get players to play attacking football, and win while doing it. That's good enough for me.

Arizona Scott

His best players are sold every transfer window and replaced with unproven talents. Sure, his CV is a bit more blemished compared to Ten Hag or Pochettino, but really not any worse than the likes of Enrique and Rijkaard who both had some awful stints before coming to Barca, and they were still relatively successful. At least Jardim has shown he knows how to get players to play attacking football, and win while doing it. That's good enough for me.

I don't know, Enrique certainly underachieved in the CL too--it really was only one great year (and even then we let the CL final almost get away from us). His last years were a lot like EVs two so far, except we also let Madrid pip us to the league too.

I don't want another Enrique or Ernesto, good managers for good clubs but not inspiring people who I think can shake up the vets and the schemes like they need to be.

10Rivaldo

I don't know, Enrique certainly underachieved in the CL too--it really was only one great year (and even then we let the CL final almost get away from us). His last years were a lot like EVs two so far, except we also let Madrid pip us to the league too.

I don't want another Enrique or Ernesto, good managers for good clubs but not inspiring people who I think can shake up the vets and the schemes like they need to be.

To be fair to Enrique, we were extremely unlucky with our chances against Atletico in 2016, and we were hands down the best team in Europe that season. Sometimes being the best isn't enough to win a knockout tournament, look at City this season.

Anyway, I agree that Jardim is more of a risk than the likes of Ten Hag and Pochettino, but realistically who is even available? He might be the best one available, unless we're comfortable with going after someone like Conte.

Home of Barca Fans