Nelson Semedo

JamDav1982

Why was he subbed off again? He wasnt the problem.

Because Atleti were sitting deep and narrow and allowing full backs time on the ball.

Semedo was doing nothing with that space in final third and Roberto was better on ball when came on which resulted in equaliser.

Good sub even though overall there were worse players than him.

Alik

It seems like he is the one who has to suffer to get Roberto to play. Meanwhile Gomes plays 90 minutes and Rakitic is a guaranteed starter.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Getting benched every other game and then subbed off in games like this is not going to ease his integration to the team and get him in sync with everyone.

Valverde need to grow a pair and bench Rakitic for Roberto or Denis.

In fact, Denis or Deulofeu at RW and Roberto in midfield with Iniesta.

I bet you we'll look like a better team then.

Givenchy

Getting benched every other game and then subbed off in games like this is not going to ease his integration to the team and get him in sync with everyone.

Valverde need to grow a pair and bench Rakitic for Roberto or Denis.

In fact, Denis or Deulofeu at RW and Roberto in midfield with Iniesta.

I bet you we'll look like a better team then.

maybe the penny finally dropped today regarding Raki, was suprised he subbed him off instead of Gomes tbh

Semedo should be starting every game hes fit to play, hes been one of our best players so far so benching him and subing him is getting tedious

Neeraj

Yeah, the whole 'not playing him to save on paying the extra money' theory does seem true with him. He's benched every other game, even though he's so much better than anyone we have in that position. Can't imagine how he'd get confidence going forward that way.

Valverde has been quite frustrating for me so far tbh, but the results have been in his favor, so the general opinion is okay. The minute decisions start going against us, and they are likely to with this team, Valverde is going to be burnt at the stake, unless he starts making some more obviously better decisions.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Because Atleti were sitting deep and narrow and allowing full backs time on the ball.

Semedo was doing nothing with that space in final third and Roberto was better on ball when came on which resulted in equaliser.

You have a point there. Don't think Semedo is that limited going forward though. When he got forward in recent matches he looked good.

henias

Tbh Semedo may have played bad, but in the end he found it hard to link up play with Gomes, who kept passing the ball back to Semedo or end up losing the ball. If it was Messi or Deloufeu on the right hand side, he wouldn't have endured such a tough night trying to link up. He was playing a bit cautious bcos his main role is to cover up defensively and track Carassco which he did a good job honestly. Alba is the main attacking fullback. But with Gomes playing extra cautious as well doesnt help him bcos he was ultimately trying to feed Gomes but he didnt do shit on the right hand side.

The sub off was a little harsh and ultimately its Valverde fault for playing Gomes on the RW which made absolutely no sense. Roberto did played alot better bcos Deulofeu did try to create something with him. Overall poor choices frm Valverde. Needs to really sort out his players choices.

He should be given more playing minutes as well. The random rotating of players to different positions doesnt do the squad chemistry well. Semedo had to adapt to so many different players like Deulofeu, Dembele, Gomes, Denis on the right hand side but not given enough starting lineups.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

You have a point there. Don't think Semedo is that limited going forward though. When he got forward in recent matches he looked good.

I don't think he is limited going forward either but in this game he was not really making any impact. He had a couple of really poor touches in final third just prior to coming off as well.

Was becoming fairly clear that atletico were leaving the Barca full backs time and space on ball snd better service and more to aim at was needed.

Thought atletico looked far more disrupted when had Roberto/Deu to provide more from wide and then Paulinho another threat to think about in box.

Semedo is good and will get better and in my opinion there were worse players than him but it was a good tactical sub that worked.

behindbrowneyes

Tbh Semedo may have played bad, but in the end he found it hard to link up play with Gomes, who kept passing the ball back to Semedo or end up losing the ball. If it was Messi or Deloufeu on the right hand side, he wouldn't have endured such a tough night trying to link up. He was playing a bit cautious bcos his main role is to cover up defensively and track Carassco which he did a good job honestly. Alba is the main attacking fullback. But with Gomes playing extra cautious as well doesnt help him bcos he was ultimately trying to feed Gomes but he didnt do shit on the right hand side.

The sub off was a little harsh and ultimately its Valverde fault for playing Gomes on the RW which made absolutely no sense. Roberto did played alot better bcos Deulofeu did try to create something with him. Overall poor choices frm Valverde. Needs to really sort out his players choices.

He should be given more playing minutes as well. The random rotating of players to different positions doesnt do the squad chemistry well. Semedo had to adapt to so many different players like Deulofeu, Dembele, Gomes, Denis on the right hand side but not given enough starting lineups.

Don't think that Gomes was the problem or that Semedo would've had a better night with Deu in front of him. It is just a difference if you start vs Atlético or you come in. They are one of the toughest sides to play against, even more when you're one goal down. Atlético has one of the best defensive sides you'll find in world football and Deu also had really bad games when he started. Fresh legs are the difference.

What I think Valverde is trying to do is finding player-pairings. Dembélé is injured so he has to find another partner for Semedo. Roberto-Deu is a pairing we've seen more often IIRC. I like the idea because it is a big difference if you just sub a winger or change the whole right side. We've seen the impact Roberto and Deu had yesterday. Hard for the opponent to deal with 2 fresh players who link-up well because they are operating well together.

henias

Don't think that Gomes was the problem or that Semedo would've had a better night with Deu in front of him. It is just a difference if you start vs Atlético or you come in. They are one of the toughest sides to play against, even more when you're one goal down. Atlético has one of the best defensive sides you'll find in world football and Deu also had really bad games when he started. Fresh legs are the difference.

What I think Valverde is trying to do is finding player-pairings. Dembélé is injured so he has to find another partner for Semedo. Roberto-Deu is a pairing we've seen more often IIRC. I like the idea because it is a big difference if you just sub a winger or change the whole right side. We've seen the impact Roberto and Deu had yesterday. Hard for the opponent to deal with 2 fresh players who link-up well because they are operating well together.

Still I think Semedo and Gomes made no sense. Roberto at RB still can be risky if there happens to be a counter attack. Roberto should have replaced Rakitic, not the RB position. I still think Semedo has much to offer, attacking wise.

Xaviniesta

Is he instructed to not put in crosses? I think I’ve seen him cross 1-2 times so far this season. Meanwhile Alba crosses the ball into outer space or at the opponent’s legs every chance he gets

henias

Is he instructed to not put in crosses? I think I’ve seen him cross 1-2 times so far this season. Meanwhile Alba crosses the ball into outer space or at the opponent’s legs every chance he gets

I would get the feeling so. His main priority is definitely his defensive duties. And get the ball in the near the final third, especially during a counter. He's more utilised for his pace and strength but not really direct crosses or square passes. Although I'm sure he's definitely capable of that.Probably doesnt favors Messi's left foot. But Im not really sure abt Valverde's tactics or real intentions. Alba is definitely the more likely one to provide those crosses and pullbacks to Messi.

Last edited:

Truthist

He's a victim of seniority culture becoming more and more prevalent at Barca. Rakitic won't get dropped but we have to accommodate Roberto. Let's find a sacrificial lamb and hes the easiest one to drop.

The same thing happened with Thiago and Grimaldo, same thing happening with Denis Suarez and probably the same reason why Alena will eventually realise he will never get solid game time here.

The politics within the club have been rotten since Pep left.

FinBarcelonafan

He's a victim of seniority culture becoming more and more prevalent at Barca. Rakitic won't get dropped but we have to accommodate Roberto. Let's find a sacrificial lamb and hes the easiest one to drop.

The same thing happened with Thiago and Grimaldo, same thing happening with Denis Suarez and probably the same reason why Alena will eventually realise he will never get solid game time here.

The politics within the club have been rotten since Pep left.

He is playing all the tough games. Not too worried. His contract might change situation as well, because they don't want to pay all bonuses they would have to pay, If he plays all games before contract renewal.

Home of Barca Fans