Nelson Semedo

MTL_Barca

Semedo is whatever to me, i wouldn't mind replacing him but i don't think it's that easy. We were linked to guys like Cancelo or Dest...not convinced of both tbh. Realistically who could be bought who's guaranteed to be better?

I looked up highest valued RBs on transfermarkt and while that isn't the best way to measure quality it shows that the situation on that position isn't so great right now, top 15 results:

TAA 110M
Hakimi 54M
Wan-Bissaka 40M
Pavard 40M
Semedo 40M
Carvajal 40M
Walker 40M
S. Roberto 40M
Cancelo 36M
Pereira 32M
Bellerin 32M
Kehrer 28M
Trippier 28M
Emerson 25M
Meunier 24M

Most of those guys would probably get shit on as much as Roberto and Semedo, i mean 3 already belong to Barca and we still talk about RBs all the time.

Compared to like prime Dani Alves Semedo is shit but if we look at what is available right now i'd say he's doing a decent job. His offensive output isn't amazing and overall he doesn't have many outstanding skills but i never had the feeling he is the weak point of the team or his replacement should have priority. For 35M he isn't a disappointment, but i guess it depends on the expectations.

I wouldn't mind testing Emerson or another young talent to maybe get a player with a higher ceiling but i wouldn't feel comfortable with just selling Semedo then because that might just result in Roberto playing every game like Alba does on the left side.

Last edited:

Porque

Oleguer better than Semedo? Now I heard it all.

He wrote a cool book, had a cool chant and become a cult hero. I get that, but football wise he terrible.

FinBarcelonafan

Semedo is whatever to me, i wouldn't mind replacing him but i don't think it's that easy. We were linked to guys like Cancelo or Dest...not convinced of both tbh. Realistically who could be bought who's guaranteed to be better?

I looked up highest valued RBs on transfermarkt and while that isn't the best way to measure quality it shows that the situation on that position isn't so great right now, top 15 results:

TAA 110M
Hakimi 54M
Wan-Bissaka 40M
Pavard 40M
Semedo 40M
Carvajal 40M
Walker 40M
S. Roberto 40M
Cancelo 36M
Pereira 32M
Bellerin 32M
Kehrer 28M
Trippier 28M
Emerson 25M
Meunier 24M

Most of those guys would probably get shit on as much as Roberto and Semedo, i mean 3 already belong to Barca and we still talk about RBs all the time.

Compared to like prime Dani Alves Semedo is shit but if we look at what is available right now i'd say he's doing a decent job. His offensive output isn't amazing and overall he doesn't have many outstanding skills but i never had the feeling he is the weak point of the team or his replacement should have priority. For 35M he isn't a disappointment, but i guess it depends on the expectations.

I wouldn't mind testing Emerson or another young talent to maybe get a player with a higher ceiling but i wouldn't feel comfortable with just selling Semedo then because that might just result in Roberto playing every game like Alba does on the left side.

Wow, those are the best guys? Talk about weak generation.

khaled_a_d

He wrote a cool book, had a cool chant and become a cult hero. I get that, but football wise he terrible.

Regardless of comparison to Semedo, Oleguer had very good season in 2006.
Sadly for him, his worst game that year was in CL final and it is the only game people remember for him.
PS: he said better defender in 2006

Messi983

Top 15 highest valued U21 RBs

1. TAA 110m - L'pool will never sell him
2. Hakimi 54m - as a RM player we couldn't get him. We might buy him from Inter in a year or two but don't know if RM still has some control over his future.
3. Emerson 25m - he's already ours and we apparently want to sell him. I would leave him at Betis for another year and then give him a chance.
4. R. James 22,5m - has established himself as a starter for Chelsea so we won't get him.
5. Aarons 20m - don't know him tbh but he plays for Norwich so should be available if ever considered good enough. Will surely end up at a bigger EPL club before we'll consider buying him though.
6. Dest 18m - he's probably the most realistic target and worth a risk imo
7. Dagba 16m - don't know how much PSG rates him but given our history with them he'd be hard to get even if they'd consider selling.
8. Tomiyasu 13,5m - never watched him play but he should be available as long as he's at Bologna. He's quite tall (1,88m) and can also play as a CB. Don't know how good he is but will probably be worth to buy even if just for marketing reasons.
9. Dalot 12m - we were linked to him recently. He seems to be injury prone so probably not the answer unless we look for someone to keep company to Dembouz and Umtiti in the hospitals. :D
10. Pedro Porro 9m - I've liked him at Girona and even suggested buying him (to loan him for a few seasons) before he went to City. They'll surely loan him, I've read he's close to Sporting CP which wouldn't be a bad move for him as I think Ruben Amorim would develop him a lot. Anyway, if he'll ever be good enough for City they won't sell and if he won't be then he's not good enough for us either.
11. Lamptey 8m - I don't know much about him. Chelsea sold him to Brighton this year. Don't know if he'll ever be good enough for a top team but if he'll be he'll move to a bigger EPL club before going abroad.
12. Tomas Tavares 7,2m - he was highly rated but still didn't make a full breakthrough to Benfica's first team. We'll see how he'll do next year. His clause is apparently 88m though so he won't be cheap if he'll start to play well for them.
13. Wague 6,7m - considered not good enough to even be a backup here so he'll be sold
14. Jayden Bogle 6,3m - he's playing for Derby in Championship but don't know him
15. Yan Valery 6,3m - squad player at Southampton, don't know him

And then at 23. Yan Couto 3,6m - the one that got away. I still like him but we'll see what plans City have for him.

So yeah, not exactly a lot of options even between those younger, less proven and cheaper players (besides TAA and Hakimi). But there are still some players to keep an eye on their development. And surely new players will emerge next season.

BBZ8800

Regardless of comparison to Semedo, Oleguer had very good season in 2006.
Sadly for him, his worst game that year was in CL final and it is the only game people remember for him.
PS: he said better defender in 2006

As Khaled said...

In attack:
Oleguer skills 1/10
Semedo 1.1/10

In defense:
Oleguer 8/10
Semedo 6/10

Maybe you forgot that we played with Belletti-Gio fulbacks in 2005 and got destroyed by Mou's Chelsea.
Then Rijkaard moved to something which Pep did later: one defensive fullback (RB Oleguer) and one attacking fullback (LB Gio).
And our defense with 3 Cbs (Puyol, Marquez, CB-RB Oleguer) managed to win a CL after 14 years, against the same Chelsea who scored 5 against us 12 Months earlier.

About that Gio-Puyol-Marquez-Oleguer defense by Rijkaard, we played:
Chelsea 2:1, 1:1
Benfica 0:0, 2:0
Milan 1:0, 0:0
Arsenal 2:1

In 7 KO matches, we conceded only 3 goals.
And now, HEAR THIS: we didn't concede a single goal from an open play:
Chelsea 2:1, Motta own goal after a cross (free kick) into our box.
Chelsea 1:1, Lampard a penalty in the 90th minute
Arsenal 2:1, Campbell header after a cross from a free kick.

So, a defense with Oleguer hasn't conceded a goal from an open play in 630 minutes of play.
Something which no Barca ever has managed (like Cruijff's Dream team or Pep's Barca).

Oleguer was horrible in attack, but at least (as a former CB), he was doing a very good job as a defensive RB.
On the other hand, Semedo is as equally as horrible in attack.
Yet in defense, he is nowhere near as reliable.
He is meh in the air, his positioning is meh, he often stays in attack and leaves gaps behind him.
His only good trait is pace, nothing else.
Oleguer was like Rakitic from 2015: always babysitting and keeping his position.

Btw, imo, we wouldn't win a CL in 2006 with Semedo.
Because we would have 2 attacking fullbacks.
And Chelsea and Arsenal would score 1-2-3 goals more after corners and crosses (like Roma against Semedo for 3:0 in Rome).
Just play crosses and counters, every little kid nowadays knows how to kill Barca in a CL.

mc_lovin

Btw, imo, we wouldn't win a CL in 2006 with Semedo.
Because we would have 2 attacking fullbacks.

Thats generous. People here usually defended him saying hes great in defense :p But I actually agree with you, for a defensive fullback hes not physical enough or good enough with headers.

Porque

Clearly swapping Oleguer for Semedo would be inconsequential to us winning the Champions League that year. The changes from 04/05 to 05/06 were more systematic than individual and our defense would have been better with Semedo as he is better than Oleguer at practically everything related to football.

Oleguer was a good hand who come up through the system and played above his level for a few seasons before returning to his normal level as La Masia talents tend to do. Damia, Oscar Lopez, Bartra, Bojan, Cuenca, Tello, etc. But overall he is one of the worst players to have graced our 11 in the past 20 years.

But no sort of revisionist history is going to change that he and Semedo are levels apart. You want more proof, check the teams who are were/are linked to both. Check the international games played by both. There is a clear level or two of difference.

The only way we don't win the 2006 CL with Semedo is because he plays better than Oleguer in the final and supersub Belletti doesn't come on to score the winning goal. But going back and picking incidents from different era's is also like saying with the VAR of 2020, we wouldn't have won the 2006 Champions League as AC Milan goal in the Semi final wouldnt have been disallowed.

We get it, you don't like Semedo. And we get it, Semedo is not an elite full back like Dani Alves. He and Roberto imo are similar levels with contrasting +/- but both are probably our best fullbacks since the start of the Laporta regime, after Alves of course.

Vilarrubi

We get it, you don't like Semedo. And we get it, Semedo is not an elite full back like Dani Alves. He and Roberto imo are similar levels with contrasting +/- but both are probably our best fullbacks since the start of the Laporta regime, after Alves of course.

You missed one out...

1. Alves
2. LORD Douglas
3. Semedo/Roberto

Birdy

Wait, Semedo is better than Belletti, Zambrotta and Roberto?

Well, at least you are a funny guy.
I'll give you that.

** You forgot that Oleguer and Sylvinho also played as RBs.

:lol:
Is it even worth answering when you include Oleguer in the discussion?
Probably not.
Look at the market value that people posted and where semedo ranks. It says it all.
Currently, if a club cannot have Trent/Hakimi, they stick with Semedo.

Just admit it's your personal biased view, because you don't like the way Semedo plays. Don't try to pass it off as something objective.

By the way, you should work a lot on your logic.
Typical example of flawed logic you use: You write "So, a defense with Oleguer hasn't conceded a goal from an open play in 630 minutes of play" Ergo 'Oleguer is a reason behind the fact that that defense hasn't conceded'

Most of your post are full of similar flaws that mask the weakness of your arguments (which are more personal opinions rather than arguments)

vegitot

Dont know why Birdy consider Semedo like prime Cafu or something. Semedo really has problem when it comes to offensive. Usually try to run and will lose the ball, limited passing abilities.

Both Valverde and Setien prefer Roberto over him as RB, only when Roberto is not available then Semedo will be the first choice.

Xaviniesta

Dont know why Birdy consider Semedo like prime Cafu or something. Semedo really has problem when it comes to offensive. Usually try to run and will lose the ball, limited passing abilities.

Both Valverde and Setien prefer Roberto over him as RB, only when Roberto is not available then Semedo will be the first choice.

Semedo is deceiving people because he?s one of the fast guys in a very slow team. Besides pace and shielding he?s below average in everything

FinBarcelonafan

Semedo is deceiving people because he?s one of the fast guys in a very slow team. Besides pace and shielding he?s below average in everything

He is a great dribbler actually. He just can't take any risks because nobody can cover for him. He has to cover himself. That's tough.

HanDW

Can't believe how low are the standards for this guy. Some flashy dribbles and pacey runs every once in a while doesn't make for the countless games of panicking with the ball, being detrimental to the buildup and showing negative IQ in the final third, not to mention his totally lack of defensive awareness and poor positioning (his pace allows him to cover this to a certain extent).

The bar is literally on the ground.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans