Nelson Semedo

Potroh

Everything you said is fine.
But, one thing is a problem:
If poor Semedo is alone on a right side and can't do anything, then how on Earth:
1. Roberto has 13 assists then in the same time,
2. from EXACTLY the same position,
3. with NO ONE around him,
4. with a bad coach,
5. in a static system where nobody moves, as you claim?

Okay my friend. Let it be:
1. I don't understand why you question Semedo being ALONE in the right. It's obvious, all you need to do is to watch or watch again a particular game.
He stops and turns around because there is nobody ahead of his position, occasionally Messi goes wide and he is there but manned by at least two defenders.

2. Your statistics are not flawless, but mere statistics never are. Statistics are the fleshless and rigid bones, not necessarily related to the actual FLOW of Play.

3. Assists are similar to goals, it matters HOW an assist happens, often an assist is just an assist because xyz player was the one touching it last before the scorer.
Those are indeed statistics - raw, rough and often meaningless numbers to cover the FLOW of ACTION, which tells something but covers less than the game implies.
Those statistics are for the forgetful spectators, who love the Gerd Mueller, CR7 and Levandovsky types of players, scoring a lot of goals from one meter. They are the ones who "somehow" are capable of pounding or sieveing a ball through the goal-line - and that's all. Messi is the living example of of how goals - and assists at the same time - also mean QUALITY.

- In my vocabulary there are clear goals which are the result of a well thought-over ACTION and there are "dirty goals", which result in the same quantity of points or trophies, but are lucky, unintentional or often accidental. Don't mix up the two types in the long run! The same stands for assists.

(When I used to play for my NT, there was a manager, who listed the goals of being 5 different types. Namely:
1. Penalties, given one point.
2. Accidental and lucky goals - two points.
3. Free-kicks or corners - three points.
4. Nice collective actions or goals scored followed by a well-thought-over action - four points
5. Individual or collective brilliance resulting in a goal - five points.

When the mere statistics give the same number of "points" to a penalty and Messi's genius finishing capabilities, then the problem is with the statistics that simply doesn't differentiate well enough.
You should ALSO differentiate when you analyze and see the weak and uniform nature of the dry statistics!

(The difference is that teams can thoughtfully PRACTICE the flow situations, while the lucky bounces and accidental, instinctive and unintentional moves cannot be practiced).

2. In EV's system, Roberto plays against weaker opponents. When defending is a must, even EV often prefers Semedo.

- The same stands for assists.
If Messi gets the ball 60 meters from the goal, in our own half, then he dribbles through 5 opponents and scores, the assist will be still given to the midfielder or defender, who passed the ball to Messi. So you should once again differentiate between types of assists too.

The last clear assist by Roberto that I recall, happened at the 0:4 game against RM, when Messi was absent and Roberto gave a nice ball to Suarez. The rest I don't remember, even if statistics tell you so. There are "assist masters" but Roberto is definitely not one of them.

- In EV's system, Roberto usually plays against weaker opponents, while Semedo starts when defense is needed more prominently.
- Roberto - being a generic midfielder - usually tries to cut to the middle, while Semedo is restricted to the line.
- When Semedo plays (and Dembele does not on the right) usually the only attacker on the right is Messi, but already manned by at least two defenders. That's why Semedo's "famous" stop and back-pass happens. There's nobody else.

- As I mentioned, Roberto's and Semedo's positions are NOT the exact same. Roberto tries to come to the middle, Semedo remains close to the line. Probably it is a part of the "tactical" manual of EV, I'm not certain of that.

- I did not claim that in this static system "nobody would move", yes they do but they do it quite predictably apart from Messi. This Barca is made around Messi, don't forget it.

- Suarez is usually in the middle but more importantly he is 50% of the cases is standing backwards to the goal, trying to make room for the others. When he gets the ball while facing backwards, he usually falls or the ball bounces from him. Nothing else remains but to find Messi from the right side, but he cannot always be found. That's why a RB in attack can rarely find a good solution, including both Roberto and Semedo.
It started when Xavi left, Iniesta played more on the left, everything happened on the left, with the exceptions of Dani Alves's moves. But he is not there anymore and since then the entire Barca scheme is single-sided (left sided). With one exception: if Dembele plays on the right.
But Dembele doesn't often play on the right - because EV's system IS STATIC, so look at any Barca heat-maps, you will see that twice as much happens on the left...

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
[MENTION=21136]Potroh[/MENTION]
Roberto gave a great through-ball to Rakitic who scored our only goal against Madrid a month ago.

BBZ8800

[MENTION=21136]Potroh[/MENTION]

I agree, not every action is that same.
But you are going into extremes and catching at straws now.

About Roberto's assists against weaker teams:
Whoscored says that he has 6 assists this season:
Real Madrid 5:1, 2 assists
Real Madrid 1:0, 1 assist
Out of our 6 goals scored to Real Madrid in La Liga, Roberto assisted in 3 of them.

Other assists:
Valladolid 1:0, Dembele scored the only goal from an assist from Roberto.
Rayo 3:2, Roberto made an assist for Suarez in the 90th minute for 3:2 win.
And the last assist was against Eibar 3:0.

To put it in a perspective:
Messi 15 assists, 33 matches
Alba 10 assists, 35 matches
Suarez 9 assits, 35 matches
Rakitic 6 assists, 36 matches
Dembele 5 assists, 30 matches
Coutinho 5 assists, 35 matches
Vidal 4 assists, 32 matches
Busquets 2 assists, 36 matches
Arthur 1 assist this season, 26 matches

I asked in my last post, have you ever seen Semedo looking at a far post and crossing to a far post?
He holds his head down while running with the ball, he is short sighted and he sees only 2 players closest to him.
He has zero vision and ideas where his teammates are.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

Semedo needs to improve his attacking for sure, think he lacks confidence sometimes and our style of play most likely. He had 2 goals and 8 assists in his last season for Benfica.

That being said I’m happy with having a more defensive RB in Semedo with pace to keep up with attackers while we have Alba bombing up the left. Just like Abidal was more defensive on the left when we had Dani attacking on the right... no problems here.

Potroh

But you are going into extremes and catching at straws now.

Truly sorry but the statistics you try to bring up again do not mean too much in my eyes.
We do not seem to be on a common ground here.

I asked in my last post, have you ever seen Semedo looking at a far post and crossing to a far post?
He holds his head down while running with the ball, he is short sighted and he sees only 2 players closest to him.
He has zero vision and ideas where his teammates are.

Semedo has no space to run with the ball - regardless where he is looking - when he is 20 centimeters from the line and there are two opponents ahead.
Roberto doesn't even try that.
I don't agree with the zero vision, his possibilities are very limited by no player being ahead of him in a position to pass.

Subjectively for me: Semedo is faster than Roberto, he is a much better defender, he is a much better dribbler, which one rarely sees nowadays by him, initially he tried that quite frequently but probably the coach told him not to do that.

Overall he is better than Roberto in that position, but Roberto knows more about the attacking formulas of the team, so you rightly say that most often Roberto has a better practical result when supporting attack.

Cule4life

The Culest
President of the semedo fan club has started the investigation faster than a snake in a sugarcane field

If you don't have anything to contribute other than juvenile trash like "president of semedo fanclub" than keep your mouth shut.

So [MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] i investigated, it seems transfermarket counted the penalties won by Semedo against Valencia and Rayo as assists. :lol:

Edit: So Semedo had 1 assist in the second leg against Levante in the Copa.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

We don't need a creative or ultra offensive RB like Dani Alves since we already have one in Jordi Alba. We need a deffensive one for ballance who won't get torn to shreds 8 out of 10 times a decent winger / striker runs at him.

And how did he do against Real's young Brazilian, how did Roberto do? I am guessing those 3 Real matches cemented Roberto as the starter at least through this year. Semedo was a mess, played at times overconfident and other times panicky during this most intense period of the season we had.

Subjectively for me: .... he is a much better defender....

Overall he is better than Roberto in that position, but Roberto knows more about the attacking formulas of the team, so you rightly say that most often Roberto has a better practical result when supporting attack.

See above, both of these things (being a much better defender, much better in RB) were not apparent in that 3 match stretch of matches vs Real. Then look at the Lyon ties. These are the 5 most pressured matches we have had this year and I would say a pretty fair shake for each to prove his stuff, Semedo got two matches (one on the road), Roberto got 3 (two on the road). In my eyes, in metrics, and results, we played a ton better in Roberto's matches than Semedo.

Now do I believe Semedo is better in practice or less intense situations in defense or most 1 to 1 defending than Roberto, quite possible, maybe even likely. Does Barca as a team defend better with Semedo than Roberto--particularly the highest pressure matches, not so sure. And then offensively Barca looks way more cohesive with Roberto, and metrics all favor Roberto.

I want to see Semedo be a do it all RB and become one of the world's best, I think he has the talent, but I would not be surprised and expect in fact that Roberto will likely play our biggest games for experience and performance of this year's team when he is on the pitch instead of Semedo. I hope Semedo earns Roberto's job--in my eye test (and every metric you want to look at) he hasn't yet.

CatalinR10

And how did he do against Real's young Brazilian, how did Roberto do?

What does this have to do with anything ? Roberto gets skinned alive deffensivelly by every winger with pace or decent skill while Semedo is 100 times better in that area.

It's like saying player X proven that he is good at scoring freekicks cause he scored 1 after his last 200 attempts.

Just because Roberto was good vs an opponent once and Semedo was not , doesn't prove anything.

Arizona Scott

What does this have to do with anything ? Roberto gets skinned alive deffensivelly by every winger with pace or decent skill while Semedo is 100 times better in that area.

It's like saying player X proven that he is good at scoring freekicks cause he scored 1 after his last 200 attempts.

Just because Roberto was good vs an opponent once and Semedo was not , doesn't prove anything.

What does how did each of them and the team do in our 5 most critical and pressured matches of the season? Yes nothing to do with decisions the rest of this season and particularly our next champions league matches, of course not.

Cule4life

The Culest
According to whoscored Mats (5.7) was worse today than Lenglet (5.9) and almost as bad as Umtiti (5.5). Can't argue with stats!!

What does how did each of them and the team do in our 5 most critical and pressured matches of the season? Yes nothing to do with decisions the rest of this season and particularly our next champions league matches, of course not.

You literally chose Bob's best performances over the season (after performing poorly for a long time) as your sample set. Yup not convenient at all.

Inb4 we are all labelled Bob haters by your majesty.

Havesaks

They are both really not top level

I don't think neither of them will be remembered as great right backs. They should both be in their prime....

I still think Roberto could have been a "great"/solid midfielder for at team like Arsenal as CM or DM, and in Semedos case, i think he chose wrong with Barca. He could have made a name for himself somewhere else with real wingers in front of him and a rigid set-up, and if I was him, I wouldn't extend my contract. For Barca sake tho - i hope he stays. If him and Roberto can live as its now, together they are good enough for our RB position, and they are still growing as players and their peak won't be reached before they are 28-30. Also my hope is they will keep pushing each other to their limits, all tho i can't shake the feeling that semedo would thrive with regular playing time in a different club, maybe even in a PL top side. But there are no great RB on the market, so lets just stick to whats work right now.

Arizona Scott

Yes i featured the 5 matches of greatest intensity and pressure--where each got a pretty fair shake. How they react (individually and as a team) in the high pressured moments i think is important to having a decent prediction of how they may fare in future pressured matchs--not perfect prediction but the best indicator you got.

That said, if you take the ENTIRETY of la liga and the cl matches cumulative stats you get the exact same story. Check total rating in whoscored or sofascore across all matches--nothing less biased than that, yes still imperfect.

Home of Barca Fans