Nelson Semedo

Potroh

Sergi is born and bred la Masia and understands the system and movement.
So obvious he starts for now.
However, the fact that we're heralding Sergi as a revelation at RB (we've been here before) and long term RB solution is enough to hope that Nelson can step up as quickly as possible.

I do agree but it is not obvious that Roberto starts regularly.
Firstly because we all know that he is not a defender, plays much better as a midfielder, and secondly because - just as you said - Semedo needs some calm regular playing time to become what he should become...
Roberto should start as a midfielder, either on Rakitic's post or when Iniesta is resting.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I do agree but it is not obvious that Roberto starts regularly.
Firstly because we all know that he is not a defender, plays much better as a midfielder, and secondly because - just as you said - Semedo needs some calm regular playing time to become what he should become...

Semedo has had plenty of playing time so far probably more than most new signings that are not superstar players get at this stage.

At a club like Barca you have to earn the playing time not get time just to see how develops.

Roberto is quite rightly been the starting RB and been far better than Semedo so far who needs to improve massively going forward. Hopefully it is just him settling in.

Potroh

Roberto is quite rightly been the starting RB and been far better than Semedo so far who needs to improve massively going forward. Hopefully it is just him settling in.

Semedo is much much better as a defender, that's why he usually starts at away games or against stronger opponents.
Roberto will not become a better defender - because he is not a defender - thus Semedo would need some time against the weaker opponents, to chisel out his attacking skills.

JamDav1982

Semedo is much much better as a defender, that's why he usually starts at away games or against stronger opponents.
Roberto will not become a better defender - because he is not a defender - thus Semedo would need some time against the weaker opponents, to chisel out his attacking skills.

He is not much better as a defender and has looked poor defensively.

In a foot race he has more pace and that is about it.

He has had plenty time vs weaker opponents and that is not the way Barca works to keep on giving chances just to try to develop a player.

Horatio

You're welcome
In a foot race he has more pace and that is about it..

You are underrating Semedo slightly. He has also shown to have good control on the ball and dribbling having outplayed opponents in close 1-on-1 situations.
Think right now Semedo is just dealing with a mental setback. If Gomes can improve so can this kid.

JamDav1982

You are underrating Semedo slightly. He has also shown to have good control on the ball and dribbling having outplayed opponents in close 1-on-1 situations.
Think right now Semedo is just dealing with a mental setback. If Gomes can improve so can this kid.

Talking about him defensively and think he look lost a bit positionally and only thing does clearly better than Roberto is in a foot race can use his pace.

Attacking wise he is nowhere near Roberto in anything really.

Talking about what they have both shown so far in my opinion. Not any definitive statement on them as players but Semedo needs to get a lot lot better.

Horatio

You're welcome
Talking about him defensively and think he look lost a bit positionally and only thing does clearly better than Roberto is in a foot race can use his pace.

Attacking wise he is nowhere near Roberto in anything really.

Talking about what they have both shown so far in my opinion. Not any definitive statement on them as players but Semedo needs to get a lot lot better.

Okay, your comment is fair if it's purely about defensive duties.
A lack of attention on my part.

khaled_a_d

I think Semedo has the potential to be one of the best RB in the world, but he is just not there yet and it is understandable considering this is basically his 2nd year (or 3rd, not 100% sure) playing in the top level.
But right now I would take Roberto as a starter, he has improved massively as a RB and far more comfortable there atm. Semedo is still very useful and providing good competition

FCBfan22

I think Roberto is a miles better attacking wise than Semedo. But defensively, Roberto hasn't been properly tested since the Supercopa. So, I would play them both in the classico, especially if we play 4-4-2, because Rakitić can't play the RM role well enough. Also if we play 4-3-3, I would play Semedo at RB and Roberto as RW, with the latter dropping into the RM for defensive duties. That would provide the anti-Marcelo and anti-Kroos cover.

Potroh

He has had plenty time vs weaker opponents and that is not the way Barca works to keep on giving chances just to try to develop a player.

Semedo is very talented, skilled, fast, etc.
If Gomes is a Portuguese national, just as Semedo has been, the difference between the two - in talent, skills, speed is TREMENDOUS.
Semedo can be a WC player in some time, whereas Gomes will never be even a Barca regular, but if I'm not mistaken the entire last season was spent on trying and trying, playing and playing Gomes, so your quite strict notion in Barca's name is simply not valid...

JamDav1982

Semedo is very talented, skilled, fast, etc.
If Gomes is a Portuguese national, just as Semedo has been, the difference between the two - in talent, skills, speed is TREMENDOUS.
Semedo can be a WC player in some time, whereas Gomes will never be even a Barca regular, but if I'm not mistaken the entire last season was spent on trying and trying, playing and playing Gomes, so your quite strict notion in Barca's name is simply not valid...

Gomes is completely irrelevant and he has not been good enough to nail down more time either.

If anything it adds to argument Barca is not about giving players time with development as an excuse. They need to be showing it on the pitch and for me Semedo hasnt been close to Roberto as a RB.

Can see who turns out being correct but on his showing so far I dont think Semedo will be a world class player but he must be better than has shown. Npt even sure he will go on to play at a higher level than Gomes to be honest.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Semedo started well and inexplicably Valverde pulled the rug out from beneath him.

We all saw how Roberto was exposed last season. Teams purposely targetted our right flank consistently. So we bought Semedo who started well. However Valverde reverts to Roberto being RB and Semedo hasn't recovered mentally from that.

Potroh

Gomes is completely irrelevant and he has not been good enough to nail down more time either.
If anything it adds to argument Barca is not about giving players time with development as an excuse. They need to be showing it on the pitch and for me Semedo hasnt been close to Roberto as a RB.

Well, Gomes is indeed irrelevant, but alas he is an example of getting considerable time, with very little result.
I agree with your notion about not letting half-baked players to be there just for the sake of a hope for an unforeseen future.

I don't even say that Semedo as a defending RB was better than Roberto, looking at actual performances probably Roberto is better right now, I just simply and clearly see that Roberto is not a constitutionally or habitually defender type, he is a bit soft for that, he is a very good midfielder, so as long as he plays RB, Semedo's undoubted talent is sort of not used or even wasted.
And yes, I'd play Roberto in Rakitic's place.

Potroh

Semedo started well and inexplicably Valverde pulled the rug out from beneath him.
We all saw how Roberto was exposed last season. Teams purposely targetted our right flank consistently. So we bought Semedo who started well. However Valverde reverts to Roberto being RB and Semedo hasn't recovered mentally from that.

Perfectly put and absolutely true!

Home of Barca Fans