Nelson Semedo

Barcilliant

EV is a fucking idiot. We have a genuine RB talent and he doesn't play him. When we come up against a PSG or another big team and Roberto gets torn apart on the flank maybe Valverde will learn.

I watched the U 17 EC final and Spain got torn apart by England down the flanks. England were just too fast and strong. This will happen with Roberto (not his fault btw).

xXKonan

I really just can't see anything that Valverde sees what he thinks Roberto is doing better than Semedo.

Is Semedo a bit shy in terms of attacking right now? yeah but he needs consistent game time in order for him to fully get out of his shell. even if he's shy in the attack he's a much I mean a much better defender than Roberto is and it's not even a contest.

We can get away with playing Roberto vs weaker teams in the league and CL in the group stages at RB but against the Likes of Sevilla,Real etc or Juve in the CL we are going to get punished and it's not Roberto's fault either it's all on Valverde.

I feel like Roberto at RB ended up being both a blessing and a curse. The blessing it allows us to use him as a versatile option when needed to rest the main starter in the RB spot. the curse is that it made the coaches from Lucho to Valverde thinking "Who needs a real RB when we have Bob who can do the job there full time!" and right now despite having a real potential WC RB, we are still falling for the dumb bullshit of using Roberto at RB and thinking it's still a good idea as a starter.

Semedo and Roberto both deserve to play, we shouldn't have to fuck both of them over. Valverde seriously needs to rethink this or we will suffer again like we did last season.

aaron101

Valverde just fucked up this guy's confidence and momentum. He deserved nothing but play time to reward his great performances and consistency. Once Valverde plays him, his form and confidence will only drop.

Joan

EV is clueless. Semedo's been shy in terms of attacking, but at the same time, Alba can't defend. So we pair him with Roberto, which leaves our defence to Umtiti, Pique and Busquets dropping deeper than he should. At the same time, with Iniesta injured, no other player in the team offers creativity but Roberto and Denis. We can only hope EV wakes up. Also, this approach's gonna distroy poor boy's confidence.

Truthist

EV is an extremely pragmatic coach and basically expects Messi to create everything. It might work against average teams but no way against decent teams.

His new 'fashion'of playing Rakitic and Gomes as hybrid wingers/midfielders is a cowardly approach. They have no use going forward so in his eyes they can stem counter attacks. The trouble is with such a mindset you are asking for trouble which is why in many games we are being bossed by rank average teams.

We are winning so all is forgiven but his preferential treatment of certain players and dour playing style will end up being his downfall i imagine.

BBZ8800

EV is clueless. Semedo's been shy in terms of attacking, but at the same time, Alba can't defend. So we pair him with Roberto, which leaves our defence to Umtiti, Pique and Busquets dropping deeper than he should. At the same time, with Iniesta injured, no other player in the team offers creativity but Roberto and Denis. We can only hope EV wakes up. Also, this approach's gonna distroy poor boy's confidence.

We are at 9-1-0 score.
EV needs to wake up soon, because this is a disaster.

Ernesto is probably on a one game from being sacked.

:troll: (just in case)

** Also, people whine about 422.
And people want 433.

Yet, Messi doesn't want to play on a RW, so we can't play 433.
Also, our other 2 wing options currently are only Deulofeu and Denis.

So, to play 433, we would need to play Denis-Luis-Deulofeu and Messi in midfield.
Or, Luis on a wing and similar.

In short, EV isn't THAT dumb and 442 isn't such a bad choice considering our injury problems and a current rooster.
But yes, for fans who think that Denis and Deulo are starter-level at Barca, I can see why those fans are angry.

Last season with 433 (and with "a magical MSN"), we didn't manage to have 3 league wins in a row for 9 Months, until the last 5 rounds in of the season.
And now, with a combo of a 433 and a crappy 442, we have 9-1-0.
Interesting...

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

We are at 9-1-0 score.

And people want 433.

Yet, Messi doesn't to play on a RW, so we can't play 433.

So, to play 433, we would need to play Denis-Luis-Deulofeu and Messi in midfield.

In short, EV isn't THAT dumb and 442 isn't such a bad choice considering our injury problems and a current rooster.
But yes, for fans who think that Denis and Deulo are starter-level at Barca, I can see why those fans are angry.

Last season with 433 (and with "a magical MSN"), we didn't manage to have 3 league in a row for 9 Months, until the last 5 rounds in of the season.
Interesting...

Talk about results oriented thinking. We were better team last season, but just not lucky enough to have streaks like we had this season. Anybody who had watched all these 10 games can't feel totally calm, because most of the games we didn't win because we dominated, we won by one miracle goal or because opponent just couldn't finish easy chance. Last year with Neymar we were bigger threat to other teams.

Athletic deserved to win and they just coudlnt finish because of Steigens unbelievable game. Paulinho scoring late winner(earlier game). Messi helping us out with his magic. If Messi gets injured this team is done. Without him we have no creativity, offense etc.

I think we have world class goalkeeping, Steigen and Cillessen are one of the best. Defense? I like it a lot. Umtiti looks like he is going yo be top5 defenseman in the world. If Pique finds his form, this could be great defense with Semedo still finding his spot. Defense is one of our strengths.

Midfield. This is where our problems lay. Iniesta on his old legs,Busquests is still fantastic, but we need someone to replace Rakitic. Coutinho would fit this team nicely, even though it might be too much money wise, but I think they have to so it. We need some attacking skills and Iniesta could be our supersub! Paulinho could play midfield with Coutinho and Bus.

Offense. It's still world class when Dembele comes back. One of the best in the world. Not too worried, other than Suarez showing signs of decline.

All in all, If we can improve our midfield this could be amazing team but without any offensive help from midfield Messi has too many things to do.

Last edited:

Joan

We are at 9-1-0 score.

And people want 433.

Last season with 433 (and with "a magical MSN"), we didn't manage to have 3 league in a row for 9 Months, until the last 5 rounds in of the season.
Interesting...

Starting Roberto at Rb against fast wingers is, for me at least, clueless. Especially knowing his defensive flaws. That's all I said.

I'm not against 4-4-2 and I understand why he tends to use it. Tho, at the same time, his line ups are disasterous.

Harsh critisism on Valverde is not needed, but dont see why we wouldnt point out the problems.
Nobodys calling for his sacking yet.

M

MessiCam

We are at 9-1-0 score.

And people want 433.

Interesting...

Why must Suarez be in the team? You talk about Denis and Deulofeu not being starter material but in the same post you have Suarez starting. Suarez, at the moment, is the worst of the three by some distance. If it weren't for reputation or under a firmer coach he would have been benched.

Here's your front 3... Denis, Messi, Deulofeu and when Dembele returns Denis/Deulofeu, Messi, Dembele or Dembele/Denis, Messi, Deulofeu. I actually think Dembele would be better for us as a left wing. Messi as a False 9 gives you an extra man in midfield at times too.

MSN was a disaster defensively, and this has been discussed to death all over the internet, because of Messi's inclination to drift centrally which meant Rakitic became a pseudo wing which exposed the midfield. When Valverde took over and moved Messi back into a False 9 role that fixed the issue but he persisted on playing Suarez even though he really shouldn't be near the starting lineup at this point. This 4-4-2 formation, which introduces it's own set of problems, is being played to appease and out of form Suarez.

Last edited:
Why must Suarez be in the team? You talk about Denis and Deulofeu not being starter material but in the same post you have Suarez starting. Suarez, at the moment, is the worst of the three by some distance. If it weren't for reputation or under a firmer coach he would have been benched.

Here's your front 3... Denis, Messi, Deulofeu and when Dembele returns Denis/Deulofeu, Messi, Dembele or Dembele/Denis, Messi, Deulofeu. I actually think Dembele would be better for us as a left wing. Messi as a False 9 gives you an extra man in midfield at times too.

MSN was a disaster defensively, and this has been discussed to death all over the internet, because of Messi's inclination to drift centrally which meant Rakitic became a pseudo wing which exposed the midfield. When Valverde took over and moved Messi back into a False 9 role that fixed the issue but he persisted on playing Suarez even though he really shouldn't be near the starting lineup at this point. This 4-4-2 formation, which introduces it's own set of problems, is being played to appease and out of form Suarez.

This LMAO, if Suarez had been some youngster being given a chance on the first team and played the way he has been playing recently (2017 calendar year), he would've been sent back to Barca B and would probably get benched there too. Luis is simply starting because his last name is Suarez and has won 2 golden boots in his career, his current performances should really see him outcast like Vidal or Paco. At least Denis has some decent fundamentals, Suarez right now is playing like some fat 13 year old kid who's never kicked a ball in his life.

Yet the same Suarez apologists will come out match after match making excuses for his shit performances that are not remotely grounded in logic rather wishful emotional thinking saying that he will recover form and call ever one that disagrees with them haters. They will praise him after missing a boatload of chances for making a couple passes without losing the ball, like that is some accomplishment and is a sign he will come back to form.

After Dembele comes back a front three of Denis-Messi(false 9)-Dembele would be infinitely better than our current setup. At least Denis can dribble and draw defenders to him opening spaces up for Messi. All Suarez does in this current 4-4-2 playing right beside Messi is draw the entire defense of the other team to the middle of the park where they are concentrated on Messi basically suffocating him of any space.

M

MessiCam

This LMAO, if Suarez had been some youngster being given a chance on the first team and played the way he has been playing recently (2017 calendar year), he would've been sent back to Barca B and would probably get benched there too. Luis is simply starting because his last name is Suarez and has won 2 golden boots in his career, his current performances should really see him outcast like Vidal or Paco. At least Denis has some decent fundamentals, Suarez right now is playing like some fat 13 year old kid who's never kicked a ball in his life.

Yet the same Suarez apologists will come out match after match making excuses for his shit performances that are not remotely grounded in logic rather wishful emotional thinking saying that he will recover form and call ever one that disagrees with them haters. They will praise him after missing a boatload of chances for making a couple passes without losing the ball, like that is some accomplishment and is a sign he will come back to form.

After Dembele comes back a front three of Denis-Messi(false 9)-Dembele would be infinitely better than our current setup. At least Denis can dribble and draw defenders to him opening spaces up for Messi. All Suarez does in this current 4-4-2 playing right beside Messi is draw the entire defense of the other team to the middle of the park where they are concentrated on Messi basically suffocating him of any space.

This was posted on the official Barca site after the Juventus game

One of the tactical variations we have seen at the start of the season is how the full backs get forward. Semedo and Jordi Alba give the team width and in the latter’s case, without a real left winger in the system, forming part of a triangle system in midfield which looks to outnumber opponents, key for Barça’s style of play.

Alba had a good start to the season when the 4-3-3 was still being used even with a dead end Suarez but the whole Barça way has been rubbished for a 4-4-2 system that's clearly designed for an out of form Suarez.

Messi's output and effectiveness have also taken a knock... Since the first 4-4-2 game which was against Girona, Messi has only scored once with the 4-4-2 system and that was against Bilbao. Against Las Palmas there was tactical change to 4-3-3 at half time and Messi obliged with 2 goals. The rest of his goals were scored in the 4-3-3 system. What kind of coach deliberately handcuffs his best player?

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Talk about results oriented thinking. We were better team last season, but just not lucky enough to have streaks like we had this season. Anybody who had watched all these 10 games can't feel totally calm, because most of the games we didn't win because we dominated, we won by one miracle goal or because opponent just couldn't finish easy chance. Last year with Neymar we were bigger threat to other teama.

We had a shinier team on a paper (Neymar).
So, last season we played well blah blah, but we were just unlucky.

Yet, this season we suck and we play ugly, yet we are lucky.

Imo, it is not that simple.
We play without Dembele and we didn't get another key player in Coutinho.

Imo, I think that majority od you are spoiled by Pep's Xavi-Iniesta Barca.

I have wrote in Ernesto's thread.
Compared to other Barca's in the last 20-25 years, a current Barca has:
10/10 perfect results
And imo 5-6/10 in terms of beauty.

If you are comparing a current Barca with Pep's Barca, which was 10/10 good in results and 10/10 in beauty, well yes, we play ugly now.

But if you compare Valverde's style in terms of beauty with:
Van Gaal 1, Van Gaal 2, Serra Ferrer, Rexach, Antic, Rijkaard, Tito, Tata, Lucho...
Then Ev's Barca is far from ugly.
Again, for now, I would rate it with 5-6/10 in beauty.

If you had watched Oleguer as a Rb in the past, Fabio Rochemback as our creator, Riquelme ruinning every single pass, Saviola playing as our targetman and similar, I doubt that you would whine about a current team's beauty too much.

We aren't spectacular.
But we are far from ugly and ruining Barca's legacy.
Imo, we are spoiled with Xavi-Iniesta.

Barce pre Xavi looked like a current Barca, more or less.
We had 2 aliens with Xavi and Iniesta.
People will have to accept that we are playing with mortals in our team now.
And current mortals are playing quite okish conpared to other Barca's mortals pre-Xavi.

Last edited:
This was posted on the official Barca site after the Juventus game

Alba had a good start to the season when the 4-3-3 was still being used even with a dead end Suarez but the whole Barça way has been rubbished for a 4-4-2 system that's clearly designed for an out of form Suarez.

Messi cannot and will not play on the wing anymore and the 4-4-2 isn't ideal for this team in anyway shape or form. If I were the manager I would drop Suarez and go back to the 4-3-3 (false 9), but if he insists on continuing to shoehorn a shit Suarez into the team I would much rather him go with the 4-2-3-1, where both Messi and Suarez are allowed to play in their natural positions without sacrificing width. We would give up some midfield control playing like this, but it would be better than what we're currently doing.

Suarez

Denis-Messi-Dembele (Roberto or Deulofeu until January)

Paulinho/Roberto-Busquets

Alba-Umtiti-Pique-Semedo

Stegen

Home of Barca Fans