Most Overrated Player in the Modern Era

Temptation

Let's keep the discussion post-2000 or in and around that timeframe.

Who do you think is the most overrated player and why?

Remember overrated doesn't necessarily mean shit. It can even be a great player who you think is rated way too highly.......

Shoot!

jamrock

It will probably be an English player, not Because said player is not great, but because the English have a way of getting confused a player being one of the best in his time, with being a generational great.

Lamps & Gerrard come to mind.

But my pick would be ballack, he was just a mid as it gets, was special at nothing and got hype to the heavens while winning in Germany, like that's some great achievement.

Reminds me of another midfielder playing today, who is good, but just doesn't have that spark.

So for me ballack, with a few English honorable mentions.

JamDav1982

Pique and Busquets when claimed a year ago they were Barcas best mid and best defender.

Maybe then Kessie the Barca natural and best mid at club shortly thereafter.

Temptation

It will probably be an English player, not Because said player is not great, but because the English have a way of getting confused a player being one of the best in his time, with being a generational great.

Lamps & Gerrard come to mind.

But my pick would be ballack, he was just a mid as it gets, was special at nothing and got hype to the heavens while winning in Germany, like that's some great achievement.

Reminds me of another midfielder playing today, who is good, but just doesn't have that spark.

So for me ballack, with a few English honorable mentions.
No mention of Scholes who seems to get better every year after retiring. When he was playing, man was never even nominated for United player of the year. :lol:

Temptation

Pique and Busquets when claimed a year ago they were Barcas best mid and best defender.

Maybe then Kessie the Barca natural and best mid at club shortly thereafter.

Pique is a great shout. Overall not just as a Barca player.

But when was Busquets ever rated as Barca's best ever mid ahead of the obvious shouts?
I agree with Busquets being overrated but when was he rated as the best Barca mid ever?

jamrock

No mention of Scholes who seems to get better every year after retiring. When he was playing, man was never even nominated for United player of the year. :lol:

Scholes I don't even count, as the two I mentioned were clearly better than him, scholes isn't even on my radar, so I can't say he's overrated 😂😂

But I get your point

jamrock

Pique is a great shout. Overall not just as a Barca player.

But when was Busquets ever rated as Barca's best ever mid ahead of the obvious shouts?
I agree with Busquets being overrated but when was he rated as the best Barca mid ever?
He was just trying to be a smartass and ended up sounding stupid.

JamDav1982

Scholes was class and could have played for anyone.

Lampard was class also but the most 'limited' of the three.

Both he and Gerrard were up there as some of best CMs in world at that point in time.

Home of Barca Fans