Mesut Ozil

pEllee

3 assists.

Not only that, he's also got the most key passes, as well as the best rating in the premier league on whoscored. Most assist, most key passes, best rating, only after two games. Incredible.

And guess what? Even though he only got limited playing time for Real Madrid he's still the player this season who's played the most key passes.
What a player he is! Doesn't matter if he's having an average game, he'll still create plenty of chances for his teammates.

Isco better? Bullshit.

Beast

The Observer
You are right.. Isco is not better... Isco is just much better....
3 assists and 5 goals in 6 games and he is not even playing all the time as an AM but LM & CM too

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Form-wise, it's Isco easily. Ozil is the kind of player who poaches assists, but doesn't have many other dimensions to his game. Isco still has a ways to go before being a fully refined player, but he pretty much outmatches Ozil in every category other than speed and getting the final pass, the latter attribute which he can still develop greatly considering he's only 21 and will soon have Ronaldo-Bale to feed through balls to on each wing.

pEllee

Form-wise, it's Isco easily. Ozil is the kind of player who poaches assists, but doesn't have many other dimensions to his game. Isco still has a ways to go before being a fully refined player, but he pretty much outmatches Ozil in every category other than speed and getting the final pass, the latter attribute which he can still develop greatly considering he's only 21 and will soon have Ronaldo-Bale to feed through balls to on each wing.

Oh, you mean other dimensions like fantastic off the ball movement?

What's up with the obsession of being "complete"? Sure, it's a good thing but the way I see it, it's about learning to use all your abilities and make it effective. He's great at everything you need in the number 10 role. His vision is top class, his off the ball movement is great , his passing and crossing is also top class. He's also really good in tight spaces, his agility and control helps a lot.

There are many players who are capable of doing much, yet produces so little compared to less complete players.

I think Özil's assist record speaks for itself. Isco is not a better creator.

You are right.. Isco is not better... Isco is just much better....
3 assists and 5 goals in 6 games and he is not even playing all the time as an AM but LM & CM too

1 assist.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Oh, you mean other dimensions like fantastic off the ball movement?

What's up with the obsession of being "complete"? Sure, it's a good thing but the way I see it, it's about learning to use all your abilities and make it effective. He's great at everything you need in the number 10 role. His vision is top class, his off the ball movement is great , his passing and crossing is also top class. He's also really good in tight spaces, his agility and control helps a lot.

There are many players who are capable of doing much, yet produces so little compared to less complete players.

I think Özil's assist record speaks for itself. Isco is not a better creator.

1 assist.

It's not about having more attributes that makes a player more complete, it's about being able to perform more tasks. Isco aids in buildup play, scoring goals, both in counterattacks and in possession play, and is more versatile in positions. Ozil is all final pass in counterattacks with space, not much else, not to mention his inconsistency+lack of stamina. Ozil only plays to get those final passes in which is why he does not add as much to the team as Isco does.

It's the same reason why Ronaldo isn't necessarily as complete as Messi. He may be able to score in a variety of different ways and have a huge array of attributes to his game, but that's still performing the same singular task. Messi can perform many more tasks such as assisting, drawing in defenders, dribbling, with more efficiency.

pEllee

It's not about having more attributes that makes a player more complete, it's about being able to perform more tasks. Isco aids in buildup play, scoring goals, both in counterattacks and in possession play, and is more versatile in positions. Ozil is all final pass in counterattacks with space, not much else, not to mention his inconsistency+lack of stamina. Ozil only plays to get those final passes in which is why he does not add as much to the team as Isco does.

It's the same reason why Ronaldo isn't necessarily as complete as Messi. He may be able to score in a variety of different ways and have a huge array of attributes to his game, but that's still performing the same singular task. Messi can perform many more tasks such as assisting, drawing in defenders, dribbling, with more efficiency.

Fair enough, but still, I don't agree with you. I think Özil does aid in the buildup play and he does score goals. I don't agree with you when you say he's all final pass and that he requires his space.

What he mainly brings to the team is creativity. He creates more chances than Isco. That's what I want from a number 10. I want them to create, to be effective, to help the team in the best way possible. And well, if he provides a few great chances for his teammates then that's a job well done. He may not be able to perform a whole lot of tasks (according to you, that is) but he has mastered the important ones, and he produces more than Isco. That's what matters.

Also, I don't think Özil's development is finished either. He's now playing under Wenger. I'm sure he'll help him add even more dimensions to his game.

EDIT: Btw, if it matters, I agree with your definition of the word complete.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Ozil is the weakest of the midfielders mentally and we have no room for that, we are already dealing with Benzema's sulking and its a very difficult job. We needed a player who controls the tempo and Ozil isn't that, Di Maria fought for his place and remained (he is getting games, until further notice) so whether you think Ozil is better or Isco is better, Ancelotti liked Isco down the middle and that is that.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Fair enough, but still, I don't agree with you. I think Özil does aid in the buildup play and he does score goals. I don't agree with you when you say he's all final pass and that he requires his space.

What he mainly brings to the team is creativity. He creates more chances than Isco. That's what I want from a number 10. I want them to create, to be effective, to help the team in the best way possible. And well, if he provides a few great chances for his teammates then that's a job well done. He may not be able to perform a whole lot of tasks (according to you, that is) but he has mastered the important ones, and he produces more than Isco. That's what matters.

Also, I don't think Özil's development is finished either. He's now playing under Wenger. I'm sure he'll help him add even more dimensions to his game.

EDIT: Btw, if it matters, I agree with your definition of the word complete.

Ozil is definitely more of a creator than Isco currently, that's not what's being argued, and obviously Ozil can score and dictate tempo sometimes, but to a far less consistent degree. The point is that considering Isco has all those additional abilities and is only 21, so I believe he's the better long term fit for Madrid. Ozil is young too, so he'll develop his game and become more consistent. Both are class players, that is agreeable.

Last edited:

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Wonder how long it will take until Özil can actually have a great game without people arguing that he's still not a good fit for Real Madrid or why Isco is better anyway. Who cares, anyway? Özil has not suffered from leaving Real Madrid at all, on the contrary. He's had two great performances for Arsenal without having had any time to settle in and has immediately shown his value and class. So what does it matter to him if Isco is a better fit for Real Madrid? That doesn't diminish his ace performance.

Also, a lot of people seem to forget how young Özil is. He moved to Real Madrid at only 21 years old and directly became a starter, even though a lot of people prophesied he wouldn't make it because he was too young - that says enough about him dealing with pressure, actually. And talking about pressure, the largest amount of pressure was put on him during the world cup in 2010, when Ballack got injured and everybody doomed him and called him too weak and too young to perform. How did he deal with it? He showed some world-class performances against teams like Argentina and England and lead Germany to the semi-finals.

He's 24 years old now and still hasn't reached his full potential. Real Madrid is probably not the best place for a player type like him to fully develop and bloom; Arsenal is a better destination in that regard. He still has a couple of years ahead of him before reaching his peak to further improve, and at Arsenal, he's at an ideal place to do so. And he will. I actually believe he will become a better scorer there, too.

That doesn't mean Isco is not a great player, but I prefer to wait and see how he develops before saying he's better a better player than XY, or vice versa.

On a second note, great performance from Özil yesterday. Man of the match for me.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans