Messi or original Ronaldo

Messi or original Ronaldo (age of 19-23)

• Messi

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • Ronaldo

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Ronaldo.

I'd love to be a homer and say Messi, but it's just not true. The argument that Messi can do more works both ways, yes he's more versatile than Ronaldo but he doesn't have a well defined role. He's not a winger, he's not a striker and he's not a midfielder; while he's well above average in any of those positions he won't revolutionize any of them. Barcelona's total football style has helped him as much as he helped it, while at the tactical mess for the national team he has struggled at times.

Ronaldo was, when healthy, the most complete striker to ever live. Injuries and mental weakness kept him from living up to his potential but if we are only talking about up to 23, the man was an unstoppable force of nature. Let's be realistic here, Messi could end up the better player when all is said and done but right now it's not even close...as hyped up as Messi has been for years, he wasn't being called the future GOAT at 18 the way Ronaldo was.

Abaddon

King of the Bottomless Pit
Bit of a dull comment as certain madridistas here have the same ranking.
Oh, no link to one of your own jokes this time? Shame, I was looking forward to more of that.

It's not so much about the ranking as it is about "being nowhere near" and "on an entirely different level", which is clear crap.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Ronaldo.

I'd love to be a homer and say Messi, but it's just not true. The argument that Messi can do more works both ways, yes he's more versatile than Ronaldo but he doesn't have a well defined role. He's not a winger, he's not a striker and he's not a midfielder; while he's well above average in any of those positions he won't revolutionize any of them. Barcelona's total football style has helped him as much as he helped it, while at the tactical mess for the national team he has struggled at times.

Ronaldo was, when healthy, the most complete striker to ever live. Injuries and mental weakness kept him from living up to his potential but if we are only talking about up to 23, the man was an unstoppable force of nature. Let's be realistic here, Messi could end up the better player when all is said and done but right now it's not even close...as hyped up as Messi has been for years, he wasn't being called the future GOAT at 18 the way Ronaldo was.

And Messi was compared to Maradona, for everything that Ronaldo did Messi has pretty much matched it, Ronaldo scored a few out of this world goals for Barca, Messi must have like 15 or more. Ronalso was not complete, he was never a great headerer or hold up player, he was just the best at getting the onion and sticking it in the bag, blitzing all that got in his way. Ronaldo's hype was because he was of our (youth) age 'the best player in the world' and was truly, truly incredible. but if you look at what Messi has done over the last 4 seasons, at least at club level i believe it eclipses Ronaldo.

S

safaizah

i will choose messi...he can do that anyone can't do...he passed 1 to 5 players then scored a wonderful goal. ronaldo is fairly a good player,but not good enough to beat Lionel Messi...he is the God of football,he is from another planet!!!

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
I think they are dead even... only place ronaldo beats mess is in the National team department... All around Messi is a better player there is no denying that, but in terms of impact on the world of footy its prolly Ronaldo

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
To some it still seems to be a bit unclear that we are NOT discussing Cristina, but O Fenomeno.

What comes to whom is better, it's really difficult to compare those two, as they both had a bit different roles in their distinctive teams. Ronaldo would be an easy go, as he was the one I watched growing up and some of the goals he has scored have been truly mesmerising as that is what made him so damn good. I still remember watching some of his games for Barça and Inter and think that he's probably the best scorer out there at that time. Still have his Barça and Inter shirts in my drawer.

Even though Messi has been on the scene for past 4 years and blowing nearly everybody aside, he wasn't the one I grew up with. Like Raed said, it's about being in that generation that lived up to Ronaldo and wanted to be exactly like him during his year in Barça and early years in Inter. He was unstoppable on his day and rarely had a bad streak during that time. He was the ultimate goal-scoring machine.

F

fenomeno

Ronaldo was compared to Pele when he was 20 years old in FIFA,and RONALDO > MARADONA.You know that FIFA is authoritative ,and media just a publicity,About football ,only FIFA and IFFHS are authoritative.
"His outstanding skills have already led to his being seen as the certain successor to Pele himself, and compared with the four "gods" of football legend, the group that includes Maradona, Di Stefano and Cruyff in addition to Pele."And I never seen FIFA appraised other player was "king" pele's successor
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=71877.html
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1172562.html#ronaldo+retire+next+year
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=71877.html
http://www.fifa.com/newscentre/news/newsid=71765.html
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=84601.html
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=85741.html
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=71347.html
http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=106871.html

And dear barca young fans,RONALDO was real best player ever when he played in 90s:93/94 Cruzeiro,94/96 PSV,96/97 Barca Milan and 97/98 Inter milan (Italy fans called him "fenomeno")

I believe old barca fans will always remember that what is fenomeno and there is only one fenomeno in history,and barca young fans ,I hope you can go to youtube ,seen some videos about ronaldo played in 97/98 season in Inter milan,that season was his best season,skills ;technique;dribbling;speed.It is a good textbook.
54827122201004250039173818216338498_000_640.jpg
54827122201004262314423142066372990_000_640.jpg

Ronaldinho was a better player than messi for me,his skills and pass was one of best ever when he played in 04-06,Maicon,Lucio,Samuel and other strong backfielder could restrained messi,but couldn't restrained maradona,ronaldo,ronaldinho when them at their best.
Messi > Cristiano .NO question
RONALDINHO was best player of last decade 2000-2009,see his some gifs
http://forums1.goal.com/showthread.php?t=6038
RONALDO was best player of the 1990s -990-1999,see his some gifs
http://forums1.goal.com/showthread.php?t=6033

desoe

Nostalgia is a pretty strong feeling. It have always been. Sometimes it even messes with people's perspectives about things.

Half of you guys would be talking totally different things, if Messi was the past and Ronaldo is the present. For example, that's the exact reason why silky_soccer is so active in this thread. He admitted that Ronaldo was his first football (or soccer, how you're calling it there) love, so should I really expect a different opinion by him?

Ronaldo was my first love, too. But I've never been feeling more privileged about watching someone than it was for Leo.

Saying that Leo is a "not even close" to Ronaldo, sounds terrible. Just terrible. It requires an immediate flashback of everything which Leo offered to us in the last few years. Then you'll really see a special player. Very special.

as hyped up as Messi has been for years, he wasn't being called the future GOAT at 18 the way Ronaldo was.

And as hyped as Ronaldo has been for years, he wasn't being called a "PlayStation player". Now I win.

Last edited:

Juan03

Nostalgia is a pretty strong feeling. It have always been. Sometimes it even messes with people's perspectives about things.

Half of you guys would be talking totally different things, if Messi was the past and Ronaldo is the present. For example, that's the exact reason why silky_soccer is so active in this thread. He admitted that Ronaldo was his first football (or soccer, how you're calling it there) love, so should I really expect a different opinion by him?

Ronaldo was my first love, too. But I've never been feeling more privileged about watching someone than it was for Leo.

Saying that Leo is a "not even close" to Ronaldo, sounds terrible. Just terrible. It requires an immediate flashback of everything which Leo offered to us in the last few years. Then you'll really see a special player. Very special.

And as hyped as Ronaldo has been for years, he wasn't being called a "PlayStation player". Now I win.

i feel the same way, and as a Barca fan the choice is difficult.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Desoe: That's an interesting hypothesis there. It would, indeed, have had been interesting to see how would Ronaldo in his prime deal with the game Messi is dealing with now and vice versa. But as you've mentioned yourself there it is a more of a sentimental thing why some choose Ronaldo over Messi.

I can imagine that a lot of us would be saying the same about Messi if he'd be the one growing up with. But, it shouldn't come as a surprise because each generation has its star whom that exact generation grows to love and follow.

I have to admit, that we are indeed privileged to watch Messi play at the current and it's a joy to watch somebody completely out of this world. And maybe after a while, some of us will be able to put these things in perspective, when Messi's a bit older, for truly understanding what we have seen throughout the years.

Last edited:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia

QFT

F

fenomeno

I know most mature football fans of world all think ronaldo in the 90s was better,but young barca fans looks never agree,I can feel for this situation,because messi is at his peak now,and good luck for messi,messi will never become ronaldo,but he maybe can become zidane if he has good luck

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
I know most mature football fans of world all think ronaldo in the 90s was better,but young barca fans looks never agree,I can feel for this situation,because messi is at his peak now,and good luck for messi,messi will never become ronaldo,but he maybe can become zidane if he has good luck

Thats bullshit, as much as i like fenomeno, Messi can beecome the greatest of all time...

and hes 22, not at his peak yet

I

Interfan

Thats bullshit, as much as i like fenomeno, Messi can beecome the greatest of all time...

and hes 22, not at his peak yet

Ronaldo for someone is the best of all time.
Messi is a phenom, a great champion, but not Ronaldo

Home of Barca Fans