Men’s shortlists for FIFA Ballon d’Or 2013 revealed

footyfan

Calma, calma
The fact that this debate has no end to it or is basically a merry go round speaks volumes of this award and how it has been awarded in the past years specifically with respect to Messi's four ballon d'ors. The changing criteria is confusing and the fact that the deadline was set 2 months before the end of the year and it changed this year during the course of the year is also hilarious.

Sneijder deserved it in 2010, and Ronaldo deserved it in when he won the league.

Why do you assume there is a specific set criteria? It's a vote, every person has different criteria that are important to them.

Blame the voters, not FIFA.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Lodewijk de Kruif (coach Bangladesh): 1. Messi 2. Ronaldo 3. Ibrahimovic
Mohd Mamunul Islam (captain Bangladesh): 1. Messi 2. Ronaldo 3. Xavi

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
In his latest attempt to promote himself for the Ballon d'Or (again, for the Nth time), Ribery completely writes of Messi.

Ribery is more of an ass than Rosell.

Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d'Or too, accepts Ribery

By Enis Koylu

23 Nov 2013 10:56:00
The France international forward believes that he has a strong case for the award this year but concedes that the Real Madrid superstar is also a fine candidate

Bayern Munich star Franck Ribery feels that both he and Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo would be worthy winners of the 2013 Ballon d'Or.

The duo are considered the frontrunners for the award as Lionel Messi, who has won the prize for each of the last four years, has endured an injury-ravaged calendar year.

Ribery has spoken of his respect for Ronaldo but is confident that his part in Bayern's treble win should see him pip the Portuguese to the title.

"We all know that Cristiano Ronaldo is a super footballer. Naturally, he deserves to win it too," the France international told Kicker.

"However, it's a vote based on a whole year and I also have a case for it. People will make the right choice. I'm quite relaxed."

Meanwhile, Barcelona legend Hristo Stoichov, who won the award in 1994, has backed Ribery to see off the competition.

"This year, my view is that Messi has missed a lot of matches due to several injuries," he told RMC.

"I personally believe that Ribery will win. He had a great season with Bayern and did spectacular things and he negotiated World Cup qualification with France."

In his latest attempt to promote himself for the Ballon d'Or (again, for the Nth time), Ribery completely writes of Messi.

Ribery is more of an ass than Rosell.

Ribery is a cnut, but the media has been running a campaign for Ronaldo this year it seems, twisting everything possible to improve Ronaldo's chances in the race.. It's interesting in that article that we get to see Ribery's answer to the question, but not the question itself.. Clearly he was asked only about Ronaldo and not Messi, of course Ribery won't say "Ronaldo doesn't deserve it" - only Ronaldo does that, so they took that answer to their twisted question, and made a headline out of it.. A pretty pathetic headline if you ask me..

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Ribery is a cnut, but the media has been running a campaign for Ronaldo this year it seems, twisting everything possible to improve Ronaldo's chances in the race.. It's interesting in that article that we get to see Ribery's answer to the question, but not the question itself.. Clearly he was asked only about Ronaldo and not Messi, of course Ribery won't say "Ronaldo doesn't deserve it" - only Ronaldo does that, so they took that answer to their twisted question, and made a headline out of it.. A pretty pathetic headline if you ask me..

I don't know if he was asked about Cr7 or not. But I am just so disgusted by his self-entitlement, saying stuff like "people will make the right decision...", explicitly indicating the right decision would be voting for him.

So sick of this person.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Buffon: 1. Pirlo 2. Ronaldo 3. Messi
Lúcio Antunes (coach Cap Verde): 1. Ronaldo 2. Messi 3. Ibra

Really tight between Messi and CR, Messi with a slight advantage. So far, Ribery is nowhere to be seen, but no journalist vote has been made public yet.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Buffon: 1. Pirlo 2. Ronaldo 3. Messi
Lúcio Antunes (coach Cap Verde): 1. Ronaldo 2. Messi 3. Ibra

Really tight between Messi and CR, Messi with a slight advantage. So far, Ribery is nowhere to be seen, but no journalist vote has been made public yet.

I suspect that Ribery will win a great chunk of the votes from the journalists (if not most), which will be offset by the votes from the NT captains and coaches going to CR7. The end result will probably be CR7, Messi, Ribery.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I suspect that Ribery will win a great chunk of the votes from the journalists (if not most), which will be offset by the votes from the NT captains and coaches going to CR7. The end result will probably be CR7, Messi, Ribery.
So far, Messi is the clear favourite. ~40% Messi, ~30 CR. And I've ignored those voters that only revealed their first choice, most of which were pro Messi and only Casillas being pro CR. So no, a major "offset" from votes going to CR is unlikely. So far I've seen only one journalist who is eligible to vote voicing his preference for Ribery (Italy, Gazzetta dello Sport) and one going on about why he doesn't rate Ribery - the rest, including those campaigning for CR, are not voters.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Another day, another episode of Ribery tooting his own horn for the BD. Just pathetic.

Franck Ribery says he is confident of Ballon d'Or success because he "set defences on fire"

25 NOVEMBER 2013

Franck Ribery said he was confident of winning the World Player of the Year award because he "made the difference" and "set defences on fire".

"I have no fear, I am confident. I have done all I had to," the Bayern Munich and France winger told French daily Le Monde in an interview on Monday.

"If you look at my performances all year long, I have made the difference. I may not score in every match but I set the defences on fire," he said.

The 30-year-old Ribery, who helped Bayern to win an unprecedented Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup treble last season, was crowned UEFA Best Player in Europe in August and is in contention for FIFA's worldwide Ballon d'Or award.

"So far this year, I have never failed. I have been good during the whole year with my national team and my club. What we did with Bayern last season was historic," said Ribery, who also helped France to qualify for next year's World Cup.

Asked if he feared competition from 2008 winner Cristiano Ronaldo after the forward scored all Portugal's goals in their 4-2 aggregate win over Sweden in the World Cup playoffs, Ribery said: "Not at all, honestly.

"Ronaldo certainly scores goals, but I do too. He certainly scores more than I do, but we don't have the same style."

FIFA will announce a three-man shortlist from the candidates, who also include four-times winner Lionel Messi, Barcelona's Andres Iniesta and Ronaldo's Real Madrid team mate Gareth Bale, early next month.

The winner will be announced on January 13.

The Observer

Will be fun to watch both Ribery's and Ronaldo's faces when Messi arrives on his crutches (he doesn't need any but for dramatic purposes he should use some), picks up his 5th Ballon and leaves.

Home of Barca Fans