Memphis Depay

khaled_a_d

He's a 21 year old prospect a couple months into his first move to a big club. Struggles were to be expected, and most footballers are arrogant to an extent, but if you were going to buy him not to play/develop him than what's the point of the purchase?

to some extent ,not to HUGE extent . he isn't playing good enough and he had huge attitude problem that both his club and NT are complaining from.they need to make him wake up
They will eventually play him again .but for now they are trying to change his attitude and realize he isn't the star he think he is .

Falcao

Memphis needed taking out of the firing line for a spell. He is still involved with the squad and I'm sure he'll be starting again soon. I'd actually like to see him and Lingard on the flanks, we need the pace and directness they can bring. I like Mata but he makes our right hand side redundant at times.

EdmondDantes

Van Gaal just came out saying he doesn't have "speedy wingers" out wide and that Lingard and Mata are not fast enough to play that role. That, plus the fact he played Depay through the middle at the start of the season confirms what I had alluded a few months back. I don't think Memphis is anywhere near fast enough or tricky enough to play as a wide player in his system. There might be a decent player in there though, but the question is, why is he not playing him any more, at least as a 10 or something.

oggydude

Apparently he has put on 5KG since he started at United, dunno if thats muscle or not but he was already stocky. Needs to go a diet, he is about the same height as Neymar but weighs 17KG more and is 5KG heavier than Ronaldo, which definitely has to impact his speed and agility. Shaw lost weight from last season and seemed a lot more quicker and agile this season early on, hopefully he doesn't put to much weight on whilst not playing.

Last edited:

Martindn

Wish more interviews were conducted like this, one of the better ones ive read. Completely honest (even if he does sound like a bit of a twat) with no PR bollocks.

‘I’ve never been an average guy’

https://www.facebook.com/notes/memphis-depay/ive-never-been-an-average-guy/563485627143013

Memphis Depay was just a fourteen-year-old player of PSV Eindhoven U15’s, when he took to the club’s training ground, De Herdgang, wearing bright pink boots.

‘Those were the shoes Cristiano Ronaldo was wearing at the time’, says Memphis, grinning.
‘I thought they were so f***ing cool. Pink boots! Haha. I mean that’s cool, man. I was fourteen at the time… Shoes like the ones Ronaldo was wearing, I wanted them too!’
You could already tell the reactions. His youth trainer of PSV, Mart van Duren, bursted out in laughter. Memphis was made fun of big time, as they do in the dressing room. Jokes. Subtle side hints.
‘Pink shoes are girly said Mart’, Memphis continues. ‘He thought it was absolutely ridiculous. But you know what? That day I scored five times, against FC Utrecht. I’m not kidding you. It was stimulating. I only get stronger from those things.’

Memphis leans backwards in his comfortable chair. The story he tells from his past, doesn’t come unexpected. Because the thing we’d like to get to know the most today is:

What made Memphis the Memphis he is today? The young football player who’s always balancing between standing in the middle of the spotlight, and the shadow right next to it.
‘I want to be a star’,
Memphis says halfway through the conversation. Carelessly, almost. But right before that, when talking about the burden of being a famous football player, the other extreme echoes.
‘Lots of times I’m thinking: just leave me. Just let me wear the clothes I want. Why do people act so hysterically about it? What’s the point? Just leave me. I’m just a 21-year-old guy.’

Since his move to Manchester United, Memphis hasn’t had a lot of time to visit his friends and relatives, being stuck between the matches and training of the club. Today he returns to The Netherlands for one day. Outside it’s raining. Inside, in his suite of a Rotterdam hotel, Memphis tells about his motives, his frustrations and ambitions after spending half a year at one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Where does it come from, wanting to be a star so badly?
‘I’ve always had that, from the time I was a kid. Being the best. Stand out. Aim as high as you can. I don’t exactly know what it is, but I just don’t want to be average. It never really was my dream to become a football player. My dream was to become the best football player!’

At Manchester United, you immediately embraced the legendary number 7. The first few weeks you played with special laces tied to your boots that read ‘Score my First English Premier League-goal’. You put so much pressure on yourself. Why?
‘It’s part of who I am. I need it, to set new goals. Goals that maybe other people find too extreme. Arrogant maybe. Playing in the youth teams of PSV, I was just the same. Signed my first youth contract, and already focused on the next one. Bought myself an apartment, and already wanted the one across the street. But especially on the pitch: becoming the best player in the world. That’s the ultimate goal - and I can cope with that. Believe me: that pressure will never crack me.'

But doesn’t it hurt a lot when it then doesn’t go that easy? Your first months with Manchester United were difficult.
‘I know. And it’s frustrating. Also, because I know I can do a lot better. I just had to settle in. Get used to the football in the Premier League, to my new life in England. A lot has changed in a very short amount of time. Of course you want everything to go smoothly, but sometimes that isn’t always realistic.’

Arjen Robben was a youngster as well when moving to Chelsea, but his perspectives were different. He was a top talent, bought for the future. It’s a slightly different approach compared to your arrival.
‘I want to perform from the moment I arrive, that’s something I demand from myself. I guess that’s my street attitude; do not fail. Failure just isn’t an option. Maybe that’s because of my childhood and background. A few people really know what I’ve been through, and I would like to keep it that way, but I’ve heard too many times, also in school: you’re never be any good. Maybe it was my own doing, I wasn’t an easy kid, but still… You don’t say something like that to a child. You just don’t do that. I think it made me more determined. I often think about the people telling me my life wasn’t going anywhere. ‘Ha, look at me now. Not that bad right?’

A feeling of revenge?
'Yeah, but not just that. Because of what I’ve been through, I think it’s important to enjoy my achievements. Just be happy with all the nice things I do or experience. And after that, I go on again.'

Since this year, he’s the most expensive Eredivisie-player since all time. Never before did a club pay more money for a player of the Dutch league. Around 41 million Euros, including all the additional fees. It’s more than than what Manchester United paid for Ruud van Nistelrooy, who was also transfered from PSV.
'I’m proud of that’, Memphis says. ‘It’s a special thing. Very special. And it fits in what I want to achieve.'

But a transfer fee like that comes back as a boomerang when it doesn’t go so well, like recent times.
‘Not really. The circle of people around me is small. I mainly have positive vibes around me. They won’t app and message me all the time when the newspaper writes something about me. They don’t need to, because I got a lot of self-criticism. Kees Ploegsma jr., my agent, is also very honest to me. I know when my performance is good or bad. What matters is to keep focusing on the positive. Work hard. Every day I try to become a better player. Doing that, you don’t think about your transfer fee, or wearing a legendary number. I only think about it now, because you brought it up.'

How did you experience the weeks around your transfer?
‘Oh man, it was tense. I spoke to Liverpool, they were really concrete, but because of an injury in their team they wanted to wait a bit. After that, Paris Saint Germain came. They were really concrete too… It’s quite hard, because as a footballer, you’re not in control of everything. Some clubs wait with putting together their team until the summer arrives, while we were already negotiating in May. With SEG, my agency, I sat down and considered everything, but then Manchester United came. Very quick and very direct. At that moment you immediately know: this is it. This is the absolute top. As a club, but also the league.'
Some players first take a step between. ‘Yes, some do. One year earlier, Tottenham Hotspur was interested. I’ve thought about it, but my sense of honour is the most important thing. I thought: if I become champion with PSV and top scorer of the Dutch league, something bigger will come. I told myself to aim higher, y’know?'

But wasn’t switching to the Premier League a huge thing?
The pace, the level: playing against a right back of Newcastle United is incomparable to the defence of Cambuur or Excelsior. ‘The difference is enormous. Defenders are physically so strong, top fit and aren’t afraid of anything. That was new to me, especially during my first few games. I had to get used to it. Besides, you could say that my development stagnated in the previous season.’

What do you mean? Your last season in the Eredivisie was too easy?

'Yes. Or let me put it this way: that year I’ve won games even when I wasn’t playing so well at all. It wasn’t necessary to be on top of my game every match. When playing in the Premier League, you have to. You are pushed to get the most out of yourself. Good just isn’t enough when playing for United.’
Wanting to be a star, in Memphis’ world it’s like a total package. It starts on the pitch, but it goes way beyond that. Since this year, Memphis is the ambassador of Under Armour, the American brand that’s impressively conquering the market of sportswear. He could’ve signed for Nike or Adidas, but then he would’ve been one of many players. At Under Armour, Memphis is the man. The face.

‘That’s also a conscious choice’, says his agent Kees Ploegsma jr. ’To a lot of other players I would’ve said: don’t do it. But Memphis is a different story. He performs best when things are extreme. It’s all, or nothing. The absolute top, nothing less. That’s the way he is, and that’s the way he thinks. If we’d approach it differently, he wouldn’t feel good about it.’

The last couple of months, a lot has been written about his style of clothing. About arriving at the Dutch national team wearing a hat, or in Manchester wearing a golden grill in his mouth.

‘Look, he says’, while pointing towards his black leather pants. ‘If I’d wear these at the Dutch national team, everyone would have their opinion about it. Or they’d say my T-shirt is too big. Or these sneakers are too much, I don’t know. While I think: I just wear what I think is cool. I love fashion. If I like a hat, then I’ll wear a hat. What’s wrong with that?’

Nothing, but apparently it evokes reactions. It’s also possible to think: next time I won’t wear a hat, which saves a lot of criticism.
‘But why am I the one that should adapt? Some people collect stamps, I like fashion. Discover new things. I feel good wearing this. If I’d wear the clothes you are wearing, I wouldn’t be me anymore.’

But if you wear a golden grill going to a party, you shouldn’t be surprised if it makes the headlines of the tabloids the next day.
‘That’s actually quite funny: since moving to England I went out one time. One time! Recently I read that Ryan Giggs addressed my behaviour as a ‘party boy’. Total nonsense! Completely made up! Even going out for dinner I barely do, because the paparazzi are standing in front of the restaurant the moment I arrive. It’s like they’ve put a GPS transmitter in my car, and therefore always know where I am. I’ve got my own chef now, who cooks healthy food at my home. I take care of my body really well. I’ve got my own pedicure, making sure my feet are in optimal condition. If I take a look at my life when I’m not playing football, I think it’s never ever been so boring. The way I dress, has nothing to do with wanting to be a ‘party boy’. I’m just a football player.'

Last edited:

Martindn

Do you like it, your new life in England?

‘It’s different, more quiet. But I feel good this way. I’ve chosen to live outside the city center, close to the training ground. It’s mainly training, playing games and resting. Now and then I’ll head to town to buy a present, but even then the paparazzi are standing right in front of me already. I have to say, I had to get used to that too. Those guys are limiting your freedom.’

Somewhere there’s a sort of contradiction in your way of behaviour. You want to be in the spotlight, getting attention as a footballer and a fashion icon, but at the same time your relationship with the press isn’t that good, also in The Netherlands.
‘I really can stand criticism. If you think I played a bad game, or think I should improve as a footballer: fine. But so much nonsense and lies about me are written. Things the media will take over carelessly, without checking the facts. If that happens, I think: not my problem. When I give interviews, I often think: it’s only about the effect this will have. Just to write that small thing they can score with on the internet.’

Result is that there’s a one-sided picture of you. People only see you in the tabloids, but never hear how you experience things, or why you do things the way you do them.
‘They do now, right? Sure, I want to tell people what it’s like to play at Manchester United, or about the way how I’m trying to improve and develop.’

Talking with Memphis sometimes feels like a game of boxing. He isn’t necessarily cuddly, like former team-mate Georginio Wijnaldum. On the other hand, it’s nothing like sitting down with Edgar Davids - a constant battle. Once he’s settled down, Memphis talks calmly and colourful about things. Also when the Dutch reporter Bert Maalderink recently started about the accursed hat, Memphis reacted relaxed and witty.

‘Do you sleep wearing your pyjama?’, he countered smiling. ‘Well, alright. That’s up to you. I sleep without ‘em.’

At PSV, they never thought Memphis was an easy kid, but they admired his drive. Completely focused on making it to the top. For years, he gets intensively guided by a team he trusts. His agent, his sports psychologist Joost Leenders, a nutritionist, a financial advisor. He collected them around him during the previous years, increasing his chance for achieving a top career.
‘And it hasn’t changed that much, now I’m in Manchester’, Memphis says. ‘I still talk to guys like Leenders regularly, if necessary on Skype.’

In what way does the club manage things like this?
‘My arrival at the club was fantastic, people over here are always willing to help. At the same time, this is an absolute top club. I’m not a youth player anymore who constantly needs to be taken by the hand. Eventually you have to do it yourself. Perform.’

You look a bit more muscular. Heavier too.
‘Luc van Agt (physiologist at PSV and the Dutch national team) recently told me that since the World Cup in Brazil I’ve gained eleven pounds, but my body fat percentage is as low as ever. It’s pure muscle. And that’s not because I’m pumping myself up at the gym, I never do that. The difference isn’t my chest or biceps, but it’s my legs and butt. My body reacts very quickly if I put in effort, that’s what the people here at United tell me too: only the difference in resistance and level, apparently makes my muscles stronger.'

But that doesn’t come at the expense of your explosiveness?

‘Sprinters are very muscular as well, so that can’t be the problem. I think it’s just a matter of getting used to the physical effort. During the first few months, I felt slightly slower when playing. But now, and I put a lot of effort in training my starting speed, I feel I’m improving. Getting better and better.'

If I see you play, I notice you initiate a lot of your moves from stationary position. Playing in the Eredivisie that wasn’t a problem at all, but here it’s so much more difficult.
‘You’re right. Even in Spain you see players successfully make their moves from standing still. In England, that’s impossible. The way we play football is incomparable. That’s one of the aspects I work hard at. It’s a matter of a slightly different start of your action, chose your position, moving without the ball at your feet. And I really notice improvement on that matter. Actually in all perspectives: I’m way ahead of where I was three, four months ago. The only thing is, now I have to show it on the pitch. Scoring goals and assisting my team-mates.'

How come you notice you’re improving?
‘I have to think less about the moves I make. It feels more natural. The goal against Watford, but also the game against Club Brugge, I just know: there are many more to come. Mark my words. Don’t worry.'

Memphis talks in a way you’d expect from a boy like him. ‘Y’know?’ is a word he uses a lot. Sometimes an English phrase. He calls his surroundings his ‘crib’. His loving taste for American rap resounds when he’s talking, but on the other hand he can suddenly speak very sweet and loving about his mom. ‘I’ll do anything for her’, he says. ‘If she’s doing well, I’m doing well.’

Do you easily assume anything from a team-mate, or a trainer?

‘Depends. But if I see it’s sincere, I sure do. I’m willing to listen to the people who want to help me, if you mean it like that. As long as it’s not two-faced. I’ve got a sixth sense for people who aren’t sincere and say something different than they mean. It’s something I’ve learned in my childhood, I guess.’

Who’s the team-mate you listen to a lot?
‘Arjen Robben. I’ve got a lot of respect for the way he handles the sport - and he's an absolute team player. I’ve learned a lot from him. During the World Cup in Brazil already, but also now. He can be very direct, sets the bar high, just like me. At the same time you feel his respect for the way you are.’
It undoubtedly helps that you admire Robben.

People who know you say: Memphis will listen and learn sooner from a top player than an average team mate.

‘Well yeah, maybe. But I think Robben is so good, man. I enjoy that, it inspires me. That’s something I want too.’

When playing for PSV, your freedom wasn’t limited. You were the man. Hierarchy is quite different here in Manchester. Did you have to find your spot?
‘Yes, I had to get used to that too. I mean, I feel strong when I’m in control. Coming to United, it was new to me. I was just one of the guys. But I’ve found my place. Guys like David de Gea, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Wayne Rooney are very relaxed.’

What was the most difficult moment of 2015, or your worst game?
‘Playing with the national team against Czech Republic I was playing so bad. The most difficult moment was when I got substituted half time against PSV at Old Trafford. That hurt a lot. I wanted to perform against my former club, and then I got substituted after one half already. Yeah, I went crazy. Angry, too. At the same time; anger like that doesn’t block me. It’s just helping me. I will be better eventually, I know that.'

What’s the main feeling looking back at 2015? The joy, or the difficult times
?
‘When I look at my career, I see it as a ladder. The league title with PSV was a step up. My transfer to United? Another step upwards. Sometimes you stand a bit longer on the same step, but eventually I’m climbing. Watch me.'

Jenks

He did. Got some assists. United won 7-0, Januzaj played also. Keane scored a great goal:

[tw]696801971928305664[/tw]

Home of Barca Fans