Mavericky Puig

Joan

The biggest difference is Koeman has many promising youngsters worth trusting. Puig included. And he's giving them chances.

Valverde didn't. I'm sure he was well aware of his skill level and opted for better players (even though they weren't great). Gave chance quickly to Fati when he came around. Etc.

vegitot

See the thing is I couldn't give two fucks about Alena, I'm the first to tell that in a normal Barca squad, he's a bench warmer at the very best. Good thing he left on loan. But in a trash Barca with useless dinosaurs like Rakitic and Vidal as main starters, nothing wrong with expecting Alena to get some playing times. You missed my whole point and now here you are trying to look intelligent. Big fail mate.

Now talking about my point, I am gonna explain it again since I know you have to be patient with kids, some might be slow to understand.

So the point was that:
1. You can't blame Koeman for not starting or giving much playing time to Puig when his starters are class and young players like FDJ and Pedri (+ Pjanic on the bench).
2. You can't compare the above situation to Valverde not considering at all Alena while his starters are finished and awful Rakitic and Vidal.

But still, Koeman gives more playing time to Puig than Valverde gave to Alena. So if you read between the lines: Koeman is no Valverde, no need to compare them.
That's it, that's the point.

Thing is Rakitic and Vidal were all better than Alena. Of course you would play a better player more.

Alena actually played 27 apps in 2018/19 season. More than Puig btw.

serghei

Then we should sell FDJ for profit and bring someone else, because we will be asking him to be a player he isn't

So, you and others as well, gone from what I've said in this whole argument, which is "let's try that as well in a risk free way, to see if it's worth pursuing" to:

we should sell FDJ for profit.

Well done. :lol:

This whole forum is really bad at picking up nuances about every single topic. From covid to football to everything.

JamDav1982

So, you and others as well, gone from what I've said in this whole argument, which is "let's try that as well in a risk free way, to see if it's worth pursuing" to:

This whole forum is really bad at picking up nuances about every single topic. From covid to football to everything.

It is not risk free to take FDJ out of position he is starting to excel in and put him a position that hasnt suited as well at Barca and likes of Ten Hag states doesnt suit him.

Of course there is risk in that and makes zero sense to start pursuing it now for anything but resting players.

It is all being suggested to get Puig in team. If Busi is done then look to replace him and keep FDJ in his best position.

It is not only taking out FDJ from his position it is changing whole dynamic of midfield as Puig is a completely different player.

serghei

It is not risk free to take FDJ out of position he is starting to excel in and put him a position that hasnt suited as well at Barca and likes of Ten Hag states doesnt suit him.

Of course there is risk in that and makes zero sense to start pursuing it now for anything but resting players.

It is all being suggested to get Puig in team. If Busi is done then look to replace him and keep FDJ in his best position.

It is not only taking out FDJ from his position it is changing whole dynamic of midfield as Puig is a completely different player.

This is going in circles. At 4-0 it is risk free to do that. Plenty of times where matches are won at half time. Today, vs Valladolid, vs Villareal. If you want to try options, you can. There are moments in a season where you can do that safely. If not, you can just use Busi all the time at DM and hope for the best. See what happens later in the season from overplaying this finished version of Busi.

JamDav1982

This is going in circles. At 4-0 it is risk free to do that. Plenty of times where matches are won at half time. Today, vs Valladolid, vs Villareal. If you want to try options, you can. If not, you can just use Busi all the time at DM and hope for the best. See what happens late in the season from overplaying this finished version of Busi.

As I said if dead minutes or to save legs is one thing and just about anything goes then but not when anything at stake.

No one really cares if Firpo comes on at RB to rest Dest but try to argue that should be an option and it is a different debate.

serghei

As I said if dead minutes or to save legs is one thing and just about anything goes then but not when anything at stake.

That's what's been said to begin with. Try it when the match allows it, see how it looks. If it looks well try it more. If not, use Puig strictly as Pedri back-up to rest him.

Nobody and nothing is forcing Koeman to insist on things that aren't working. But all options which can work should be explored. Of course you won't try Messi to play CB to see if it works, but sensible things like Puig, Pedri, De Jong trio should be tried and tested.

La Liga is 90% gone, CL is a pipe dream. Top 4 is almost guaranteed. If not now when?

Last edited:

YodaMaster

The biggest difference is Koeman has many promising youngsters worth trusting. Puig included. And he's giving them chances.

Valverde didn't. I'm sure he was well aware of his skill level and opted for better players (even though they weren't great). Gave chance quickly to Fati when he came around. Etc.

Koeman put himself in a position where he has to play youngsters. He let Rakitic and Vidal go, he asked Suarez to leave. Those were Valverde's undisputed starters. No reason to believe they'd leave if Valverde was still the coach, all the reasons in the world to believe that they'd still be here and would still be starters if Valverde was still the coach.

It seems like the initial plan for Pedri was to loan him out this season, but Koeman made him a starter instead. Koeman also brought a 19 years old Dest and shows him tremendous confidence. Koeman is also not afraid to start Mingueza and Araujo instead of Lenglet and Umtiti.

Valverde on the other hand, played old players and his transfer requests were the likes of Willian, Parejo, Murillo and Inigo Martinez.
He played non stop Coutinho on the wing who's horrible there, while he had Malcom and even Dembele when fit. Both were better than Coutinho. Arthur in his second season became a bench warmer, after a first promising year at Barcelona.

No need to rewrite history, Valverde wouldn't trust a youngster to save his life, except when the youngster is a generational talent (Ansu).

Now you're saying that Koeman has promising talents, it doesn't matter. You either believe the youngsters or you don't. Pep played Cuenca and Tello, both turned out to be trash but it doesn't matter, he still gave them a chance to prove themselves.
Maybe in 3 years, Dest, Mingueza, Araujo and Pedri will end up being flops, just like Alena. It's not like they are already proven players. There is still a possibility that they will fail. Koeman gives them confidence regardless of everything. That's how it works with youngsters.

Thing is Rakitic and Vidal were all better than Alena. Of course you would play a better player more.

Alena actually played 27 apps in 2018/19 season. More than Puig btw.

My bad. Alena did play more in that season than Puig currently indeed. But still, Koeman trusts the youngsters a lot lot more than Valverde, it's not even comparable.

vegitot

No. You claimed De Jong is better cdm than Busquest which is wrong. You can not prove it now you try to say "let risk". Risk what???

George_Costanza

Valverde again? :lol: There was a quote (summer 2019) I posted by Barcelona B manager saying that it was the first time a coach visited their training session in years. Fati's introduction has more to do with circumstances and pure luck. Both Suarez and Dembele were injured, Malcom and Boateng were gone. EV's only choice was to look for players from Barca B and actually preferred Carles Perez over Fati but Fati did surprised everyone.

Now imagine if Suarez was fit to play, do you think your cult leader would have given a chance to Fati?

JamDav1982

Valverde again? :lol: There was a quote (summer 2019) I posted by Barcelona B manager saying that it was the first time a coach visited their training session in years. Fati's introduction has more to do with circumstances and pure luck. Both Suarez and Dembele were injured, Malcom and Boateng were gone. EV's only choice was to look for players in Barca B and actually preferred Carles Perez over Fati but Fati did surprised everyone.

Now imagine Suarez was fit, do you think your cult leader would have given a chance to Fati?

Who cares how often he went to watch B team train?

You act as if that is a common occurrence for coaches.

Is this the latest fantasy? Barca coaches amongst all they do should regularly be going to watch B team train?

Played Fati and recognised in training player he had unlike all the other young players.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans