Mavericky Puig

serghei

If Xavi arrives I think he'll end up relying on different players to Puig. I think he needs to grow and mature still. But yes, if Xavi comes it would be silly going on loan.

Even if he'll not be a starter, I doubt he'll not play regular minutes. But yea, if Xavi plays 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1 (I saw somewhere those are his preferred systems), with only 2 midfielders, then... system is not great for him. Because Puig is basically a good 3rd midfielder in a 3 midfield system. Like 3-5-2 or 4-3-3.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'd rather give this choice to Xavi.

Bobo32

Only of Koeman stays. If Xavi comes Puig should go nowhere. Laporta has to make a decision soon.

Yeah I think we should expect some clarity in the coming days!?

I don't think he's erratic. Well sometimes with the ball, he tries to force things too much, and I hate it.
Defensively, he loves to press, and sometimes he is overplayed, but I love it! The one in behind needs to see the trigger and follow, and be ready for the dribble or the pass that Puig forces.
I saw at least one time where Puig was to blame in the press though, he let a ball pass inbetween him and the presser in a bad way.

I don't think this was one of his better performances, but he shows very much promise!

serghei

Yeah I think we should expect some clarity in the coming days!?

I don't think he's erratic. Well sometimes with the ball, he tries to force things too much, and I hate it.
Defensively, he loves to press, and sometimes he is overplayed, but I love it! The one in behind needs to see the trigger and follow, and be ready for the dribble or the pass that Puig forces.
I saw at least one time where Puig was to blame in the press though, he let a ball pass inbetween him and the presser in a bad way.

I don't think this was one of his better performances, but he shows very much promise!

We've been over this a few pages back. I think he's erratic at times personally, but this is down to coaching to a great extent, that's my opinion on the matter. I'd rather have a player that is hyperactive and moves constantly and temper that than have slow turtles that barely run properly.

vuji_31

He is just defent player as squad option, his PHY does not allow him to be starting in KO CL phase.

But he should play every game for 20minutes after Pedri comes off.

Bobo32

We've been over this a few pages back. I think he's erratic at times personally, but this is down to coaching to a great extent, that's my opinion on the matter. I'd rather have a player that is hyperactive and moves constantly and temper that than have slow turtles that barely run properly.

Best is to have a mix of these players, complementing each other. Right now there are too few Puigs and too many joggers.
Busquets is called a turtle by you, but is actually more of a Puig type, he is standing in a good spot, ready to react fast to a loose ball. Of course he could never sprint.

There was an occasion today where Puig left his position a bit "bravely" so to say, to press a defender who hadn't controlled the ball yet and had his back forwards, Puig came close enough to induce a pretty bad pass, that nonetheless found it's target, going two meters to the side of a jogging Griezmann, not ready to press or anticipate with the right intensity.
Many such occasions actually, with two or three players more with Puigs intensity, a lot of balls can be won.

BerkeleyBernie

Yeah, he looked to be the only one to care for quite a bit of that second half. And together with Busquets the only one with some spark of genius at times, and able to position himself correctly at pretty much all times.
Still not a very good performance, a bit hit/miss as it has been. I think he would really benefit from regular playing time.

I thought it was interesting to see some players looking not to pass him as it appeared, and him and Alba having a discussion over that pass going out for a throw in. I'd think those two would understand each other really well.

BBZ:s post above is really wrong and I might quote it later.

Just average from him today overall (of course, the team on the pitch had something to do with that). But there were a few moments where we saw the kind of football he wants to play. An exchange of pass & go 1-touch wall passing with (of course) Busquets & Griezmann, two other players who understand the style and anticipate their teammates movement.

I'm realizing he's pretty damn fast, too. Always joining in counterattacks and he uses his speed to press like Pedro used to, to help break up and slow down opponent attacks.

Bobo32

Just average from him today overall (of course, the team on the pitch had something to do with that). But there were a few moments where we saw the kind of football he wants to play. An exchange of pass & go 1-touch wall passing with (of course) Busquets & Griezmann, two other players who understand the style and anticipate their teammates movement.

I'm realizing he's pretty damn fast, too. Always joining in counterattacks and he uses his speed to press like Pedro used to, to help break up and slow down opponent attacks.

Read "Pedri" when I first read this post and decided not to bother replying :)
But yes, I have also seen the similarities to Pedros pressing! It's one of the main things I like with Puig, together with his positional sense and willingness to find constructive solutions

I agree with this post!
(nah I have to strongly disagree on Griezmann understanding anything though)

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Look at this energy and power ! One of the few guys who knows how to pass the ball quick with one touch. With Puig we would have won la liga probably and koeman wouldnt get sacked. Lets hope we will see more of this unbelivable dude next season :worthy:

iniestaGOAT

Look at this energy and power ! One of the few guys who knows how to pass the ball quick with one touch. With Puig we would have won la liga probably and koeman wouldnt get sacked. Lets hope we will see more of this unbelivable dude next season :worthy:

Too many stupid dangeorous passes. Low IQ footballer. Needs a loan

vegitot

Last season with Puig Barca lost Liga tittle (also trophyless). Base on exactly what that make you think he could win Barca Liga??? And how is a player that can win Barca Liga tittle only a bench warmer in U21 Spain???

Without Puig Barca won at least a Copa del rey this season.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans