Mavericky Puig

Bobo32

It is telling that the badhearted comments usually comes when he hasn't played, when he's playing he is usually praised.

I don't watch trainings, but it's so strange seeing him being so obviously good in his first 90' appearance, then get two short subs where he also played well, and then 0 minutes for three or four games in a row? Obviously Koeman doesn't trust him, and I do think his height and "strength" plays a large part in that... The only time I saw his lack of strength putting him down Barcelona got a free kick. Maybe there was once more where he lost a challenge that I can remember, but strength is simply not a factor the absolute majority of the time.

kattanib

It is telling that the badhearted comments usually comes when he hasn't played, when he's playing he is usually praised.

I don't watch trainings, but it's so strange seeing him being so obviously good in his first 90' appearance, then get two short subs where he also played well, and then 0 minutes for three or four games in a row? Obviously Koeman doesn't trust him, and I do think his height and "strength" plays a large part in that... The only time I saw his lack of strength putting him down Barcelona got a free kick. Maybe there was once more where he lost a challenge that I can remember, but strength is simply not a factor the absolute majority of the time.

Really simple .. team > player. He does not fit Koeman system thus he does not play. We move on.

Bobo32

Really simple .. team > player. He does not fit Koeman system thus he does not play. We move on.

This is true in itself and I accept the reasoning. But does he fit the system less than Pjanic? And does he fit the system more in some periods than others? I think he has played well enough to not be suddenly benched with 0 minutes in four games or something, no matter the system. It was the same after the Juve appearance, where he was so extremely obvious a success as a sub - then benched for a month or something. I think something must be going on behind the scenes.

I don't like Koemans "system", which has been very different from week to week, and I would be questioning him no matter what for having a system that excludes Puig. But taking his way of playing as granted, I still think it is very strange. I do like that Koeman is doing what he himself believes in, I think many coaches before him hasn't managed to fully go for their own idea. I think Koeman has some obvious favourites (I have very high faith in Puig, but I don't think it's quite as high as Koemans faith in Pedri...), and is a bit too erratic in his ideas, but I don't think he is taking all orders from someone else.

Gnidrologist

Don't think it has anything to do with "system" really. I love Puig, but his scrawny small stature gets even to me. I assumed he would get "larger" with time, but this doesn't seem to be case for now. I can't believe a guy in his 20somethings is so thin. He isn't all that weak and can hold his own in some 1v1 battles, but it's obvious he strives to avoid them, whenever he can. I'm no BBZ, but that's a weakness. Pedris build isn't all that much bulkier, but he can easily show aside pressing by using his body well. Puig is a bit weaker in that aspect, while he can avoid defenders in different ways. Think that's the main reason Koeman doesn't trust him. I donn't see why Puig couldn't grow himself more muscle mass. He seems quite strong as it is, but his light weight means he can be shoved of the ball way too easy, when he isn't in open space. Don't think that getting some bulk would make him less agile. Look at Shakiri. Small fucker, who is fat as fuck for athlete standards, but is quick.

Bobo32

Don't think it has anything to do with "system" really. I love Puig, but his scrawny small stature gets even to me. I assumed he would get "larger" with time, but this doesn't seem to be case for now. I can't believe a guy in his 20somethings is so thin. He isn't all that weak and can hold his own in some 1v1 battles, but it's obvious he strives to avoid them, whenever he can. I'm no BBZ, but that's a weakness. Pedris build isn't all that much bulkier, but he can easily show aside pressing by using his body well. Puig is a bit weaker in that aspect, while he can avoid defenders in different ways. Think that's the main reason Koeman doesn't trust him. I donn't see why Puig couldn't grow himself more muscle mass. He seems quite strong as it is, but his light weight means he can be shoved of the ball way too easy, when he isn't in open space. Don't think that getting some bulk would make him less agile. Look at Shakiri. Small fucker, who is fat as fuck for athlete standards, but is quick.

*Striving to avoid 1v1 physical battles is good for any player, with the ball you should keep it away from physical battles even if you are physically superior, without it you can't rely on it either.
*Did Puig get easily shoved off the ball, ever, in Barcelona A? I remember one occasion, but that was due to a bad touch before.
*Did Iniesta or Xavi ever use their body well to show aside pressing?
*Shaqiri is a shit player, but pretty unique - a bad example.

I do agree that Koeman probably thinks that way though. If Puig had a bit bigger biceps and a beard he probably would've played more.
I don't know if he said it any more lately, but he said something about Puig passing too much on foot and too little into space before... That's something my PL inspired uneducated youth coaches could've said 20 years ago, not something I'd expect someone coaching Barcelona after Xavi could get away with saying...

Horatio

You're welcome
*Did Iniesta or Xavi ever use their body well to show aside pressing?

Of course they did. Many times they had to shield the ball with their body.

Gnidrologist

Yes. Both Iniesta and Xavi were great shielding the ball. And they were strong on their feet despite looking like midgets. It was nigh impossible to take the ball away from them by sheer force, just like with Messi. He is very strong. Puig may have that same strength within him, but he needs to develop it more. He is already great at a lot of things, but i think he should bulk up a bit. Not sure why he hasn't done that already.

Bobo32

Puig shields the ball as well obviously, all players do, but he doesn't need 5kg more in order to do it better. It is a tactical/technichal/mental thing, not a physical.
Messi has an aspect of strength to his shielding, but neither Xavi or Iniesta had it, neither does Busquets or Thiago. And Messi only uses the strength when he gets stuck, I'd much rather have him be a bit lighter than a bit stronger.
Some of Puigs strengths come from his thin build, I'd say. I hope he doesn't bulk, just like I never thought Neymar should.

If you have a few clips or examples where he could have use of a couple extra kgs, please post it. Or point it out the next time we get to see him play.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Puig shields the ball as well obviously, all players do, but he doesn't need 5kg more in order to do it better. It is a tactical/technichal/mental thing, not a physical.

Of course its a physical thing (to a degree). You can try to relativize it as much as you want, but Puig lacks there. Simple as that. Iniesta and Xavi were freaking strong. Puig looks comical running next to other players. Hes not a forward where you could maybe look past this (like young Neymar, Dembele).

I hope he succeeds, but dont get blind to his obvious weaknesses.

Bobo32

Puig is probably not strong, I don't claim that he is. I say that the physical part is such a marginal thing. Your view of football reminds me of those who compared Ronaldo and Messi and said "well Ronaldo has a better weak foot and is a better header". I think it is ridiculous, just look at the way they handle the ball and handle situations. Football is not a couple of attributes, it's about time and space and timing and decisions.

I don't care about a player looking comical. Some say the same about Busquets. I think they are both brilliant and doesn't need to be stronger or quicker.

As some seem to see me as a blind Puig fanboy I might list a few traits I think he needs to improve; calmness on the ball, concentration, finishing, perhaps stamina (he started one game where he seemed to tire)

Home of Barca Fans