Matthijs de Ligt

Leo_Messi

You underestimate this board. They are the same guys who are heads over heels for a player who made a mockery of us last year with his stupid documentary, and one whose role isn't even decided yet.

They were also interested in bringing Neymar back, had PSG agreed to sell.

By 2021 we will have next electons, Bartomeu will do anything to remain president, be it signing De Ligt for ridiculous sums. He just loves to make headlines.

Dude, I have arguably been the greatest critic of this current board ever since I joined this forum. My crusade against them (on Spanish fora, social media and in person) dates back to before Rosell even got elected in 2010. I have always been vehemently against the anti-Cruyff element within the club and local media.

So I don't expect anything from the board.

I don't think that Griezmann made much of a mockery of the club at all. There was no guarantee of him having given his word. Just local media blabbering. He ended up staying at Atlético for another year and that was/is fair enough. Not comparable to the Neymar case at all if you ask me which was much worse. Griezmann is a world class player as well on almost every single front. Extremely hard working and not a problematic character at all. The problem is how to fit him into the team with Neymar likely arriving and Suárez going nowhere. That and a host of other problems spanning from a useless coach without much power (Malmierda) to a spineless board with no sporting project in sight.

Well, we are still very much interested in Neymar. You can be sure of that. See my latest post in the Neymar thread for further elaboration.

Bartomeu cannot remain the president in 2021 as his two candidacies will end that year. Cardoner will most likely be the "continuity choice" but I am almost certain that either Font or Laporta will win the elections in 2021. For various reasons that are not important for this discussion but relates to what the board has already done of great harm for almost 1 decade and the fact that I don't believe that we will be winning much in the next 2 years as things stand now.

Last edited:

Campos

The key question is what went wrong ? Barca was in pole position for months. The media made us all believe he was Barca bound. And suddenly there was Juve.

The media writes a lot of bullsh*t. But what is the exact truth. And why was Barto trolling us a few days ago ?

I don't get this board. I you want him. Go get 'm... take a damn plane to Amsterdam today (not tomorrow). Tie him down, make him an offer he can't refuse. If you don't want him, just tell the damn truth.

Leo_Messi

The key question is what went wrong ? Barca was in pole position for months. The media made us all believe he was Barca bound. And suddenly there was Juve.

The media writes a lot of bullsh*t. But what is the exact truth. And why was Barto trolling us a few days ago ?

I don't get this board. I you want him. Go get 'm... take a damn plane to Amsterdam today (not tomorrow). Tie him down, make him an offer he can't refuse. If you don't want him, just tell the damn truth.

A deal with de Ligt, his entourage and Ajax was struck months ago if we are to believe some very reliable local sources. As well as Dutch sources.

What changed is the moronic pursuit of Neymar. You cannot buy Griezmann, Neymar and de Ligt in the same transfer window. Even if you sell Coutinho and Dembélé. Well theoretically you could but you would need to sell some of the likes of Suárez, Rakitic, Umtiti and say Semedo as well but the board is obviously not interested in doing that. Hence no de Ligt.

Last edited:

Campos

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="nl"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some solid hints about De Ligt's arrival. First pic is from his girlfriend saying goodbye to her friends, and the second is of a BBQ from Ajax where there's an Italian flag. Think of it what you will but he's coming. <a href="https://t.co/Wtu57LvexP">pic.twitter.com/Wtu57LvexP</a></p>— Jelle1897 (@JJuve1897) <a href="https://twitter.com/JJuve1897/status/1148328695079362565?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">8 juli 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For those who still had hope.

Matthijs de Ligt clearly wants to play for Juve. The brother of his GF will play for Eintracht Frankfurt U19
And they had a party to celebrate it.

Rip the dream!

Givenchy

I feel we didn't pursue him enough and agree with [MENTION=19517]Leo_Messi[/MENTION], as soon as our board got wind of Neymar's possible return they pretty much discarded De Ligt

not a huge mistake though as we have great depth in defence providing Umtiti can stay fit

Campos

Juventus' new offer for De Ligt is €71 mill + bonus and it could reach around €77 mill total. The deal is quite close and De Ligt could accompany the team to Asia. [Sportitalia]

VN10

Doubt Barto will do a last minute steal.
I'm going to wait for the window to end with my opinion about Barca's transfers, but I feel like I'm going to have a lot of criticism.

Such a shame though, especially in a year from now, when he's been a revelation at Juve and Barca is chasing him again but unable to afford the transfer.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Bartomeu & Segura are shite but this is not a deal they should consider when you take into account the wage issue & Raiola. Of course, they shouldn't be pursuing Griezmann or Neymar either but that's merely the idiocy of our current 'sporting direction'

BarçaBarça

Fair enough. I don't blame him though because we didn't push the boat out to get him, even though it was clear we was his 1st choice. They thought they could underpay the guy because of our 'sporting project'. Doesn't work like that any more and just smacks of arrogance from the board.

Our offer wasn't underpaying. He just believes that he is worth more than De Jong, which he clearly isn't.

Our wages are ridiculous enough as it is, I agree with the board that he wasn't worth more than our offer. Juve went mental on the wages and on commission to Raiola, great for them.
We on the other hand has a wage problem, so we should be more careful, also not to totally wreck the hierarchy in the dressing room by giving him more than Alba/Pique etc. This decision was not arrogance, but very smart and wise. I still blame De Ligt as a player and person for not joining us, but I don't blame the board in this instance (but if the board signs Neymar, then they are truly mental).

BADGERBHOY

Our offer wasn't underpaying. He just believes that he is worth more than De Jong, which he clearly isn't.

Our wages are ridiculous enough as it is, I agree with the board that he wasn't worth more than our offer. Juve went mental on the wages and on commission to Raiola, great for them.
We on the other hand has a wage problem, so we should be more careful, also not to totally wreck the hierarchy in the dressing room by giving him more than Alba/Pique etc. This decision was not arrogance, but very smart and wise. I still blame De Ligt as a player and person for not joining us, but I don't blame the board in this instance (but if the board signs Neymar, then they are truly mental).

Maybe we should get rid of some of the nonperforming players on huge wages and we wouldn't have this problem.
I think not getting De Ligt will be a big mistake

giorgoXXI

I hope Ajax are not stupid enough to accept a cent lower than what Barca offered.

Raiola essentially trying to take away transfer money away from Ajax and hand it over to himself and De Ligt.

I'm sure Barca would match the salary requirements if the transfer fee was 50m instead of 75m.

BarçaBarça

Maybe we should get rid of some of the nonperforming players on huge wages and we wouldn't have this problem.
I think not getting De Ligt will be a big mistake

True, and I'm all for that.

But it is not a great start to then offer a 19-year-old the second highest wages in the club, with only Messi earning more. You have to set the foot down somewhere.
I see it as De Ligt letting us down and choosing Juventus, not our board choosing not to pay what he wants. There was no option for paying him more, simple as that.

Home of Barca Fans