Matthijs de Ligt

khaled_a_d

If Man City are seriously in for both then we can already forget them. With how slowly things move in Barcelona they'll already be in Manchester signing their Man City contracts while singing Blue Moon Rising while Barca are sending in their first bid :lol:

Other than the Dembele/Coutinho/Verratti fiasco we weren't slow in past few years
Vidal.Malcom,Arthur,Lenglet,Semedo,Digne,Gomes, and to lesser extent Mina & Paco were all closed fast. Actually city should be more worried after the way the handled Mahrez & Jorginho deals.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Other than the Dembele/Coutinho/Verratti fiasco we weren't slow in past few years
Vidal.Malcom,Arthur,Lenglet,Semedo,Digne,Gomes, and to lesser extent Mina & Paco were all closed fast. Actually city should be more worried after the way the handled Mahrez & Jorginho deals.

As you can see all our high profile transfers seem to end up in a fiasco or delayed. This is what I fear here too. And I don't trust the Barcelona press anyway. They're already started to make excuses for both of these transfers failing to materialize.

I would not be worried about going up against Man City to sign a player if they didn't have Pep. You can say a lot about him, but most players would love to play for him(except Jorginho who followed Sarri to Chelsea lel). He has an aura or presence we lack right now. We have the history, money, Messi, but none of them will personally call the player and invite them to a dinner to discuss football with them.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

As you can see all our high profile transfers seem to end up in a fiasco or delayed. This is what I fear here too.

Neither of them are high profile transfers, they are in the "2016 Gomes" type of profile when it comes to transfer, young players that many big clubs wants.
In 2017 we played our cards foolishly and Bartou himself intervened in a bad way that lead to Neymar situation that lead to the Dembele/Coutinho situation. That won't be the case with Ajax.

Anyhow, back to topic
I think if we really want them we can get them regardless the competition, but the question is always: should we?
I am starting to be a against FDJ signing in all honesty, mainly because I don't remember the last time we tried to develop 2 young players in same line (attack, midfield etc)
When we promoted Iniesta, Xavi was already one of the stars in the team, when Busquets promoted Iniesta was a super star, only time I remember something close to that was promoting Thiago and bringing Cesc and it didn't work well (though Cesc was hardly a young player tbh).
So now with Arthur seems like a future starter -or an already starter- and he and FDJ being 9 months separated in age I am not sure it will be the best to bring FDJ in the team, not to mention blowing more than 50M for it.

De Ligt is another story, we need immediate help in CB, with Pique form he could walk into starting line up. He look like the next great CB, but Ajax want huge amount of money and he himself say he wants to stay few years before going. If the club thinks he is the perfect solution for defense I think we might be ready to over spend for him, but if not we might pass on him in case of bidding war

Sorin

Doesn't help that he is constantly left alone on an island with the opposing winger. The right fullback is nonexistent. A bit like us with Bob and Pique.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not his best game no. Some unforced errors in the first half. Perhaps he got the wind of Ramon Planes and other Barca scouts being there and got nervous lol.

Either way not a big deal IMO considering how impressive he's been otherwise vs good opposition.

Zidane82

De Ligt was horrendous tonight !!

2 bad errors in the first 3 minutes and about 7 errors in the first half alone ...

Jees ... terrible passing, bad positioning , poor defensive headers and soooo slow !!!

After one mistake he cameras went straight to an anguishing looking Koeman with his head in his hands

Presumably had a bad night ??

Home of Barca Fans