Matthijs de Ligt

El Gato

Villarato!
Pique and Lenglet played for 1 season together and they now have a good chemistry.
Pique and Umtiti played in the last season and had a good chemistry, but now they haven't played together for half of a season.
Also, short term: Pique is heavy and slow and De light also.
Those two can't play together, right?
De Light could play with Umtiti and Lenglet.
But then, what Wolfe mentions often: you need an older guy and a kid together so that an older guy can teach and lead a kid.
Who will teach De Light? Lenglet?

Technically, you don't need an older guy. You need a more experienced guy with a set of nuts who will lead. That doesn't have to constitute age, i.e. Varane and Umtiti as a duo. Could also speak about Laporte example in City here. Or why Hummels-Subotić duo were as good as they were together.

Arizona Scott

P.S. Ya i ment Van de Vaart. Really underrated player. Imo he was even better than his buddy Sneijder. Who only had a few good seasons at Inter.

Oh my mistake:)

As I spoke in the Umtiti thread I am concerned some about pace, and how Umititi vs Lenglet vs De Ligt compare in pace and quickness. It is not the end all be all of CBs, but sure nice to have one with the recovery speed of VVD, Varane, young Ramos, Puyol, etc. Helps with the high line and to play more aggressive and many times is a mistake eraser. As an example VVD is a big reason Robertson and TAA can be so far upfield and the Real centerbacks for the past 5 years afforded Marcelo and Carvajal a lot of liberty.

I also agree De Ligt is young, at 19 I am assuming he can get training (and possibly natural physical development) to still get quicker.

serghei

Also, Umtiti's level for us hasn't been THAT great. Fail to see a masterclass by him in CL for example during his time here. Lenglet has replaced him impeccably. Without fault almost. If anything, I'm pretty sure fit Umtiti is more error prone than him.

Umtiti is a top defender, but he's a replaceable member of this team. If a top offer comes up, we should move him imo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Moving on from Umtiti already would be a mistake IMO. Umtiti - de Ligt are perfectly compatible for the future. You have Lenglet in there too and it's a formidable trio. Could even play three at the back if necessary or if a new manager want to experiment in some games

malvolio

didn't lenglet play at LB when he was in seville? his versatility might be key. we bring in de ligt, keep both umtiti and lenglet and don't buy another LB.

Vilarrubi

Moving on from Umtiti already would be a mistake IMO. Umtiti - de Ligt are perfectly compatible for the future. You have Lenglet in there too and it's a formidable trio. Could even play three at the back if necessary or if a new manager want to experiment in some games

+1 Fully fit Umtiti and De Ligt is an unreal CB pairing.

Havesaks

Also, Umtiti's level for us hasn't been THAT great. Fail to see a masterclass by him in CL for example during his time here. Lenglet has replaced him impeccably. Without fault almost. If anything, I'm pretty sure fit Umtiti is more error prone than him.

Umtiti is a top defender, but he's a replaceable member of this team. If a top offer comes up, we should move him imo.

He did play quiet this worlld cup...

El Barcelona

I would like to see Umtiti play more games before we can judge him. But if it's true that our medical staff conclusion is that is't better to sell him now I would do it for the right offer. Otherwise we need to wait, Umtiti was great before and important in our defense.

Havesaks

You seem to have faith in him .,
Anyone know when he was last playing regularly ( and well !) ??

Seems like an age yet he apparently resisted surgery ..

Before his injury he was the best CB in the world and our second best performing player after Messi, i think there is reason to give him some leeway and not just to skip him off for 50m.

WC?

Zidane82

Before his injury he was the best CB in the world and our second best performing player after Messi, i think there is reason to give him some leeway and not just to skip him off for 50m.

WC?

Wasn’t there a transfer request or transfer speculation though before the injury and his form was never the same ??

Havesaks

Wasn’t there a transfer request or transfer speculation though before the injury and his form was never the same ??

I dont remember a transfer request, but he did use social media, united offer / low buy out to pressure our club into a better deal. Also got a new agent, because his agentbrother? Was irritating as Hell. Remember some fans to want him gone because of that stunt. So thats that. Regarding form, Yes it was the first time he had knee injuries , and was shaky, he didnt regain his best level, but he did pretty good in WC, and when he came back in autunm he looked sharp until his knee prob Again.

Home of Barca Fans