Mats Hummels

I

instinct

The thing is the kind of loyalty and compromise Hummels is showing is so rare nowadays...

True dat but I think he would be delighted to join Barca and I can't imagine that BVB would act EXACTLY like last summer when they blocked Lewa's move to Bayern.

BVB and Bayern hate each other and of course BVB didn't want their best striker to join Bayern. Therefore, they kept him until his contract ran out (at this point he could do whatever he wants anyway).

If we offer a high amount of money, I don't want to name an exact figure, they'll be open to talk. If we really want to sign him, he'll decide to join us. He knows that we are searching for a CB for years now and that he would be a definite starter here. (And I'm sure that his gf wants to move to Barcelona too)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it's 100% what I'm saying but I can imagine that he'd be open to join us, especially because he already said that Barca is among the 2-3 clubs he'd play for.

BerkeleyBernie

He didnt say anything about money though. At some point all players get greedy. And the difference between earning 80k/week at BVB and 180k/week at Barca/City/Chelsea is a huge 100k/week!

Their agents, perhaps, but any player getting 80k/week (4 million per year) who manages his money well will retire wealthy (a person earning 80k per Year can retire comfortably, if well managed). Some players might be quite happy with their multi-millionaire status without feeling the need for more, in exchange for things they value more than money.

If I were a Dortmund player, with that coach, and that fan base, and that team, and that money, I can see being quite happy, and most moves to be a downgrade.

Der Kaiser

Their agents, perhaps, but any player getting 80k/week (4 million per year) who manages his money well will retire wealthy (a person earning 80k per Year can retire comfortably, if well managed). Some players might be quite happy with their multi-millionaire status without feeling the need for more, in exchange for things they value more than money.

If I were a Dortmund player, with that coach, and that fan base, and that team, and that money, I can see being quite happy, and most moves to be a downgrade.

So you´d say no to 100k/week more? Strong story bro :lol:

BerkeleyBernie

I'm making 4 million a year, doing what I love, in a situation I love? Damn right I'd say NO if I had to give up a great situation for a lesser one with more money. We're not talking about the difference between 20k and 50k per year- why the hell would I need more than 4 million a year?

I understand why a person coming from poverty could be driven- get as much as you can while you can get it, help everyone in extended family, etc. But for a middle class boy like me, if I was doing what I loved and was set for life, why do I need more money? I don't know why it's hard to understand those of us who don't have insatiable greed.

Der Kaiser

You know you still get to do what you love at the other club right? You just get paid 5m more a year. Thats 5.000.000 Euros.

But hey maybe 5m times 4-5 years is of different value to me as it is to you.

AfricanBavarian

You know you still get to do what you love at the other club right? You just get paid 5m more a year. Thats 5.000.000 Euros.

I think he is saying the grass isnt always greener type of thing. Hummels knows he is still young at 25 especially for a CB. He can enjoy himself in an environment he is most comfortable with and not have to force a move yet.

N11JELKA

I think he is saying the grass isnt always greener type of thing. Hummels knows he is still young at 25 especially for a CB. He can enjoy himself in an environment he is most comfortable with and not have to force a move yet.

Not that he is going to suffer in Barca, it's not jail, he'll have a nice time here too. It's maybe a bit less familiar, but he'll feel home in no time, especially with 5m extra :xavi:

Alik

There's other considerations such as family and friends too.

FiReFTW

People here put too much value on money, I don't think people here realize how much 4kk euro actually is, hell even with 4kk per year you could live off for the rest of your life if your smart.

if I already earn 100 I might say no.
I wouldn't play for 100k/w somewhere in siberia or Monaco, and if I like it where I am I will have a nice vacation in Barcelona.

Why being insulted because a players wants to stay?
10M per year or 20 doesn't make any difference anymore for top players (maybe managers)

when you are 20 you might buy an aston martin every year, when you are 40, you won't care anymore.

BerkeleyBernie

Not that he is going to suffer in Barca, it's not jail, he'll have a nice time here too. It's maybe a bit less familiar, but he'll feel home in no time, especially with 5m extra

It's not necessarily about "nice." Could also be about Dortmund's coach and playing style, and he might think it's more fun to play the Dortmund way than the Barça way. In any case, there are any number of things he (or any player) might value more than extra bucks.

Lionheart

It seems pretty clear to me that Mats is very happy where he is, but he could accept a move if we offered enough money to BVB. Hummels would be our nr 1 cb anyday and a fan favorite. Hummels and Piqué could turn out to be a very nice cb pair. It would also do good for Ter Stegen.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma

Home of Barca Fans