Mateo Kovačić

Vilarrubi

We should step in and provide Real a solution by offering The Portuguese Powerhouse Andre Gomes in a swap deal.

Might be best for both parties.

Imagine if Gomes actually went to Madrid, there would be no pigs head on the pitch when we played them.. there would be confetti and cheers all round the stadium.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's not the same when you win the CL as a bench player, with winning big titles as a key member of a team.

I agree. And he should have played more this season, but 1) he got injured early and was back to form until late December & 2) no matter how many minutes he'd have gotten in the league in spring it wouldn't feel like he's going anywhere with it. The saga is an overreaction by media and by his impatience that only got so bad because of the overall bad league campaign. We wouldn't be talking about it if it didn't get wrapped up in January.

Frankly I don't believe he will be forcing the move until very late in the window. My theory is that Modrić asked to go to give him room, but Perez is blocking it cuz he can't afford 2 offensive pillars to go at once.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
That's specific of you.

Seriously though, he hasn't been an even remotely important player in any competition that Madrid have won in these three years. His development has stalled because of lack of playing time. It was better not to join Madrid for his own sake, as in becoming better as a player. Of course he doesn’t regret joining Madrid after 3 CLs, no one would. I’m just speculating what he could have become under proper conditions.

El Gato

Villarato!
Seriously though, he hasn't been an even remotely important player in any competition that Madrid have won in these three years. His development has stalled because of lack of playing time. It was better not to join Madrid for his own sake, as in becoming better as a player. Of course he doesn’t regret joining Madrid after 3 CLs, no one would. I’m just speculating what he could have become under proper conditions.

How many of these could you accuse Varane of 2 years ago? Literally same things have been brought up.. injury setbacks contributing to lack of playing time, lack of regularity, stalled progress..

You sound quite ridiculous when you say he hasn't improved as an individual. Preposterous idea given he came to Madrid as a Benitez transfer on Modrić recommendation that nobody knew nothing about, unless you were an Inter/Serie A fan. Had Madrid performed better in the league earlier in the season in a competition where he got most time we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation. We'd instead be talking as to which Qatari splashes more money to try and nab him out of there to be their next Gundogan or so.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
How many of these could you accuse Varane of 2 years ago? Literally same things have been brought up.. injury setbacks contributing to lack of playing time, lack of regularity, stalled progress..

You sound quite ridiculous when you say he hasn't improved as an individual. Preposterous idea given he came to Madrid as a Benitez transfer on Modrić recommendation that nobody knew nothing about, unless you were an Inter/Serie A fan. Had Madrid performed better in the league earlier in the season in a competition where he got most time we wouldn't be sitting here having this conversation. We'd instead be talking as to which Qatari splashes more money to try and nab him out of there to be their next Gundogan or so.

Nobody knew? Kovacic was one of the most hyped young midfielders for years until his move. Simply not true. Also unlike Kovacic, Varane has had his share of world class performances even with Pepe still at the club. He was a starter for the NT too, Kovacic still is not. For Madrid, I can’t remember a single high profile game in which Kovacic stood out. Because he wasn’t given many chances. Right now I can’t even pinpoint his strengths besides his ability to make mazy runs from midfield, taking out 3-4 opposition players in the process. Of course one year can change a lot, he can still make it at Madrid. I’m just sceptical atm.

El Gato

Villarato!
No he wasn't. He was solely a Serie A hot prospect hyped primarily by the fans of that league and was chased by the teams of Liverpool 2014/15 profile. Not a squat of serious interest from any top3 side outside of Italy.

What do you mean by 'stood out'? I love how people slate the players and label them failures when their style evolves into something more reserved than a manic young and exciting versions from their early careers. Yes, he was sending more zingy passes in shitty iteration of Inter where he was the highlight in a defensive league with (correct me if I'm wrong) two pivots in behind him. No, he didn't stop doing it in Madrid where he was often asked to be a taskforce-type with a particular mission.
His main strength is discipline and making very few bad judgement calls. Rarely gets caught out by getting into a dribble in central spots, doesn't force one-twos but utilises them with ease when next to another mobile player hence tends to get played towards Marcelo's side of the pitch, he's versatile and doesn't get intimidated by physical teams. Basically what Rafa wished Gerrard was consistently capable of in his prime.
His evolution arc isn't that different to Isco's. Both had to adapt their game to the presence of any iteration of the BBC in the team so couldn't spend a lot of time in front of opposition's box and would instead make room for their mates in 2015-17 period.

He made a great career call actually. He is equipped with experience very few guys have at this age. People like downplay this stuff so much, whether it's Ceballos spending 80% of the season on the bench or whatever, but this shit is imperative to them having the best shot at success in their prime. Many of these above average talents reach their ceiling too early and never have the mental edge that comes from being a part of such locker room.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Loved him when Kovacic was at Inter and would have very much liked him to come to Barca. But right now? He should be the guy to challenge every midfielder in front him. Okay, there are Kroos, Modric and Isco in front of me, but guess what? I'm going to be the going the guy to get them, to make them better if they want to keep their place. But Kovacic has never been that. He has become a sub that you can sorta rely on but nothing else. He has no IT factor, he will never will be the central midfielder you want at the biggest club. His time with RM has shown it, the WC with Croatia has shown it. He will gain experience but it will never be enough I think.

Laplacian

He does have the "IT factor", the guy used to be able to dribble past several guys and with his runs he created things out of nothing. Going to RM potentially ruined his career. Young talents should never move to big clubs unless they're guaranteed a starting place. Might never fulfill his potential now, him and Martial. :/

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
According to a MARCA exclusive he'll be loaned out to Chelsea this season. To be announced later today or when the Courtois deal is announced.

Possible Jorginho - Kante - Kovacic midfield.

Last edited:

Vilarrubi

According to a MARCA exclusive he'll be loaned out to Chelsea this season. To be announced later today or when the Courtois deal is announced.

Possible Jorginho - Kante - Kovacic midfield.

Ross Barkley wondering why he ever moved.. they are stacked in midfield.. Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Loftus Cheek, Drinkwater, Jorginho, Barkley AND possible Kovacic

Devils

Wonder if there will be a purchase option on that loan.

Everyone jumping the Madrid ship. Incredible!

Home of Barca Fans