Martin Odegaard

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
£80k a week for a 3rd division player, only at RM

Just by comparison, who at Barcelona makes less than that?

Bravo, Mats, Bartra, Vermaelen, Alba, Adriano, Rakitic & Rafinha to just name a few

Last edited:

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
We'll see. Not even the Norwegian media are writing much about him these days, which is quite surprising as they couldn't stop publishing pointless articles about the kid a while back. It would be interesting to see his stats for Castilla this season, because I doubt he even got a goal or an assist so far. If he did, I would've had every paper here pushing it in my face for weeks.

Last edited:

SirXavi

The Engineer
Well I feel 17 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to early to say if someone is just not showing they have what it takes to succeed at the highest level. They may have the raw talent but there is so much more to learn in order to be a great professional. Therefore, I don't agree with hyping up teenagers. However, the media is what it is.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
I just don't think he got the mentality to get there. Spoiled kid that's way too dependent on his father. It seems like they think the hard work is over because he's at Madrid, when in reality that's when the hard work begins. It's all on Real Madrid, though. They gave him the big wage too early, but worst of all, they're letting him train with the first team pretty much every day. Went to his head.

SirXavi

The Engineer
Right, I see how his circumstances can screw him careerwise and I'll admit that I'm not as up to date with the details surrounding this story, as much as you are in Norway. Having said that in many cases I have faith that teenagers can learn :D

Galning

Who would've thought a 15 year old overhyped kid who based his future on where he'd get the biggest paycheck would be a let down. To top it all off, Real Madrid is really known for the youth academy and guidance towards young players.

Xtroverto

This is Freddy Adu all over again. The guy will drop of the radar once he enters the 20s. A couple of flop season as a loan player and then it will be second, third and fourth division football for him until he retires at 28.

SirXavi

The Engineer
This is Freddy Adu all over again. The guy will drop of the radar once he enters the 20s. A couple of flop season as a loan player and then it will be second, third and fourth division football for him until he retires at 28.

Freddy Adu made his professional debut as a 14 (!!!) year old. He was hyped to such a degree that the MLS rushed him way too fast just to show the world that American football can produce world class talent. In what world is that ever a good idea.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

But you don't know that though.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We'll see. Not even the Norwegian media are writing much about him these days, which is quite surprising as they couldn't stop publishing pointless articles about the kid a while back. It would be interesting to see his stats for Castilla this season, because I doubt he even got a goal or an assist so far. If he did, I would've had every paper here pushing it in my face for weeks.

I guess you've missed the weekly 'Castilla won, and Ødegaard played very well!'.

There was also a huge uproar here two days ago when SPORT published an article saying Ødegaard was a marketing ploy which only Florentino Perez bit on, giving him a Galactico status on top of that.

http://www.tv2.no/a/7980095

The point about SPORT being a Catalan paper and terribly biased against Real Madrid is valid, but the guy has not been the success Real Madrid hoped for. Been very inconsistent and only had a handful of games where he actually played very well.

I don't think the guy is a dick or anything like that, but his dad seem to be having a somewhat negative influence on his career.

On the other hand, you have someone like Martin Samuelsen focused, not overhyped, doing very well on loan from West Ham to Peterborough United in League One which for a 17 year old is far from an easy league to play in.

Unless Ødegaard's entourage get their act together, I can see the other Martin having a better projected career forward.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans