Martin Montoya

F

Flavia

He was bad. Only reason he ever payed for Barcelona under 4 managers is because Alves wasn't available (injured/suspended) or he was rested.

You said yourself you don't remember him much. He wasn't brilliant, but also wasn't bad as you're painting him to be. He even had some good games sometimes. He was better overall than Bartra, to me. He was even decent when improvised as LB, more than once.

Just checking some old posts, from 2014, and most here were rating him a lot. He showed a lot of promise. He didn't fullfil it, but to say he was bad as you're saying is just plain wrong.

serghei

You said yourself you don't remember him much. He wasn't brilliant, but also wasn't bad as you're painting him to be. He even had some good games sometimes. He was better overall than Bartra, to me.

Just checking some old posts, from 2014, and most here were rating him a lot. He showed a lot of promise. He didn't fullfil it, but to say he was bad as you're saying is just plain wrong.

Let me ask you a question. What's the difference between Douglas' 3 games he played for Barcelona in 2015-16 season, and Montoya's 3 games he played for Inter? Basically, Montoya was as much a non-factor for Inter as Douglas was for Barca.

F

Flavia

Let me ask you a question. What's the difference between Douglas' 3 games he played for Barcelona in 2015-16 season, and Montoya's 3 games he played for Inter in 2015-16?

I don't know, I didn't watch Inter. But I remember Montoya in 2012-13 and 2013-14, probably his best season for Barça. I think you don't.

[youtube]UyThTfaibVY[/youtube]

Douglas never was half the player Montoya was back then. If he'll find his form again, I don't know.

serghei

I don't know, I didn't watch Inter. But I remember Montoya in 2012-13 and 2013-14, probably his best season for Barça. I think you don't.

[youtube]UyThTfaibVY[/youtube]

Douglas never was half the player Montoya was back then. If he'll find his form again, I don't know.

There's some youtube highlights with Douglas at Sao Paulo where he looks like Roberto Carlos' cousin. Body feints, dribbles, shots, assists. I suspect Zubi saw those highlights and decided to sign him. Everybody looks good on youtube, when you can select whatever plays are good, and just disregard the bad decisions.

So, Montoya had a 6 minutes long highlights video from an entire season. That's supposed to mean what?

We don't know anything about Douglas except the clear fact that he's out of his league at Barcelona. We also know that about Montoya.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

There's some youtube highlights with Douglas at Sao Paulo where he looks like Roberto Carlos' cousin. Body feints, dribbles, shots, assists. So, he had a 6 minutes long highlights video from an entire season.

So you're saying the level of teams faced is the same? Ok. I'm not even arguing Montoya is that good, but he's not as bad as douglas, which is the point of this discussion. Montoya was actually useful sometimes for the team, as RB or LB. For Tito and Tata. Douglas is nothing but a mascot.

serghei

So you're saying the level of teams faced is the same? Ok. I'm not even arguing Montoya is that good, but he's not as bad as douglas, which is the point of this discussion. Montoya was actually useful sometimes for the team, as RB or LB. For Tito and Tata. Douglas is nothing but a mascot.

Douglas didn't have the same chances as Montoya. His first impression was really poor, that's why he was never trusted again. But not always the first impression is truest to the player's value. I'm quite sure Douglas is better than he's shown in his first 2-3 games. Montoya, for me, is a failure. Douglas is also a failure, more so than Montoya, but not because he is a much weaker RB, but because he was branded as a mascot after just 2 games.

F

Flavia

Douglas didn't have the same chances as Montoya. His first impression was really poor, that's why he was never trusted again. But not always the first impression is truest to the player's value. I'm quite sure Douglas is better than he's shown in his first 2-3 games. Montoya, for me, is a failure. Douglas is also a failure, more so than Montoya, but not because he is a much weaker RB, but because he was branded as a mascot after just 2 games.

Well, as someone who watched plenty of douglas with sao paulo, I can tell you he's not better than what he showed. He was actually played as a rm most of the time, because he can't defend. He is a much weaker rb than Montoya, I really don't get how you can argue that.

BarcaOG

Banned
:lol: at serghei just getting wrecked...im not sure why you have such a problem with montoya but you are just looking silly now

xXKonan

I remember when Montoya got his chance under pep, he did pretty well and to be fair a lot of us thought he could be a good Alves, Successor when the time came.

His Development stagnated under Tito and it went down hill from there. It can be debated that perhaps he wasn't really as good as we thought he was. a real shame Montoya didn't work out here and I hope he has success at Valencia.

God Serena

The crossbar hit in the 2-2 Clasico alone is enough to put Montoya in an entirely separate class from Douglas.

The fuck is going on in here?

Xavinho

I remember when Montoya got his chance under pep, he did pretty well and to be fair a lot of us thought he could be a good Alves, Successor when the time came.

His Development stagnated under Tito and it went down hill from there. It can be debated that perhaps he wasn't really as good as we thought he was. a real shame Montoya didn't work out here and I hope he has success at Valencia.

Yeah, assuming this deal really happens, I hope he can get his career back on track there. I'm not sure it's the best move for him though. He probably won't get many minutes with Gaya and Cancelo being the starters, and both of them being several years younger than Montoya.

serghei

The crossbar hit in the 2-2 Clasico alone is enough to put Montoya in an entirely separate class from Douglas.

The fuck is going on in here?

:lol: And the ankle-break he got from Canales' dribble alone is enough to drag him back in Douglas' class.

Last edited:

God Serena

:lol: And the ankle-break he got from Canales' dribble alone is enough to drag him back in Douglas' class.

Hardly the case.

Canales is a significantly better player than the 3rd division and Brazil league players who were consistently able to destroy Douglas.

You're comparing a 2nd/3rd rate player to an average La Liga defender. You're either disgustingly underrating Montoya, or even more criminally, overrating Douglas.

serghei

Canales is a significantly better player than the 3rd division and Brazil league players who were consistently able to destroy Douglas.

You're comparing a 2nd/3rd rate player to an average La Liga defender. You're either disgustingly underrating Montoya, or even more criminally, overrating Douglas.

First of all, Douglas was good enough for Sao Paulo to determine Barca to sign him. Probably he wasn't that great, but it's not like he was "destroyed" in the Brazil league. I'm overrating Douglas by saying Montoya is not much better than him? :lol: Yea, right, like Montoya is actually a very good RB and it's an insult to compare him to Douglas. It's not. Montoya is 25 years old, and was a benchwarmer everywhere he went, sometimes even less than that. The only difference between Montoya at Inter and Douglas at Barcelona for example is that Montoya was loaned, and Inter was able to get rid of him easier as a result. Otherwise, he was as much of a non-factor at Inter, as Douglas is at Barcelona.

Just because Montoya is a bit better than the mediocre Douglas, doesn't mean he's actually a good RB. Which is the point I've been making all along. Some don't agree. Fine. But just the fact that this forum rated Montoya as better than Alves less than a year and a half ago, and called me an Alves fanboy as a result, makes me wanna stick to my opinion on this one. I think more people overrate Montoya, than underrate him on this site, and it's been the case for a long time.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

First of all, Douglas was good enough for Sao Paulo to determine Barca to sign him.
Seriously? Everyone knows he was signed as a favour to Traffic. Either that or just plain dumb scouting.

Someone overrate Montoya, but you're overrating Douglas, which is worse.

Home of Barca Fans