Marquinhos

G

Gasgas

Now i am super angry at Zubi for missing out on him
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Hope i will be able to study pathology after this

Jair Ventura

You really believe this ? I watch every game Varane plays and many of Marquinhos, and the Frenchman is easily a better defender. There are some instincts that can't be taught or learned, which Varane has.

Marco has separated himself from Varane this season, whose struggled to land meaningful minutes.

Bertus

Can you define skills wise for a defender?

- Never misses a control
- Does very good short and long passes with very good accuracy
- Excellent Ball control, standing and running.
- Good in the air
- Can dribble too when necessary. Not like Verratti, but good and fast enough to start counterattacks even when highly pressured

Bertus

You really believe this ? I watch every game Varane plays and many of Marquinhos, and the Frenchman is easily a better defender. There are some instincts that can't be taught or learned, which Varane has.

Varane has an average season.

You can believe otherwise all you want, but even the french press and medias (like L'Equipe or RMC) said it many, many times.

As somebody who've watched many RM and PSG games this season, I approve of what the french medias published :

- Marquinhos is having a better season, and is showing big progress compared to last year.
- Varane is not showing meaningful progress since the start of the season.

valk

- Never misses a control
- Does very good short and long passes with very good accuracy
- Excellent Ball control, standing and running.
- Good in the air
- Can dribble too when necessary. Not like Verratti, but good and fast enough to start counterattacks even when highly pressured

Well, maybe we have different perceptions for a great defender.

EdmondDantes

Marquinho's defensive qualities are far superior to Varane, he has been a monster at the back since his Roma days. Varane only trumps him on height, the rest is not even close.

Bertus

Marquinho's defensive qualities are far superior to Varane, he has been a monster at the back since his Roma days. Varane only trumps him on height, the rest is not even close.
Marquinhos is the same height as TS, and both outjump players who are taller than them.

Leo_Messi

Let us not get ahead of ourselves shall we? Varane is a huge talent and has already shown his worth at the absolute top level. Not for just 1 season but at least for 3 by now.
He has also performed at a significantly higher level than Marquinhos unless you want to argue against RM being a much more demanding club/environment to succeed in. Or argue against La Liga being much superior to Ligue 1, especially attacking wise.
Varane helped RM win the CL by playing in a CL final at the age of 21. In fact Varane has already won every single major trophy with RM.
He has established himself too for the French national team which hardly lacks good central defenders to say the least. He is a huge, huge talent. Arguably the biggest. Sadly for him he has been hit by many injuries and is competing against the likes of Pepe and Ramos who are hardly ever injured.

I would take a fit Varane over Marquinhos but the latter is a huge talent as well and arguably only second to Varane. Marquinhos has been better this season though.

RM really made a great, great deal when they bought Varane for 10 million euros. 3 times less than what PSG paid for Marquinhos.

That made me think of how brutal a partnership Varane and Marquinhos could develop if they played together regularly.

Bertus

Let us not get ahead of ourselves shall we? Varane is a huge talent and has already shown his worth at the absolute top level. Not for just 1 season but at least for 3 by now.
He has also performed at a significantly higher level than Marquinhos unless you want to argue against RM being a much more demanding club/environment to succeed in. Or argue against La Liga being much superior to Ligue 1, especially attacking wise.
Varane helped RM win the CL by playing in a CL final at the age of 21. In fact Varane has already won every single major trophy with RM.
He has established himself too for the French national team which hardly lacks good central defenders to say the least. He is a huge, huge talent. Arguably the biggest. Sadly for him he has been hit by many injuries and is competing against the likes of Pepe and Ramos who are hardly ever injured.

I would take a fit Varane over Marquinhos but the latter is a huge talent as well and arguably only second to Varane. Marquinhos has been better this season though.

RM really made a great, great deal when they bought Varane for 10 million euros. 3 times less than what PSG paid for Marquinhos.

That made me think of how brutal a partnership Varane and Marquinhos could develop if they played together regularly.

I'm not convinced by Varane. As the french medias said (and I totally agree with it), he might have reached his ceiling. He didn't make progress this season. But everyone here hopes it's just a bad season and that he will reach new heights next season.

His talent is already high tho, but to me not as high as the best CBs around.

Also, he has knees problems on a regular basis :( While Marquinhos is almost never injured.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

I'm not convinced by Varane. As the french medias said (and I totally agree with it), he might have reached his ceiling. He didn't make progress this season. But everyone here hopes it's just a bad season and that he will reach new heights next season.

His talent is already high tho, but to me not as high as the best CBs around.

Also, he has knees problems on a regular basis :( While Marquinhos is almost never injured.

I disagree. I think that he will only get better. He is just about to turn 22. That's no age for a defender. Even an semi-injured Varane not playing regularly is among the very best defenders out there. People seem to have a very short memory. I am sure that he will step up as usual should Pepe or Ramos get injured like he did at the end of last season.

His biggest enemy are injuries. He already won everything that he can win with RM. Maybe it's time for him to move on? Chelsea would be a good pick. I am sure that Mourinho could make him even better. He flourished a lot under him and Chelsea needs a substitute for Terry.

If I was Abramovich or Mourinho then I would want to buy Varane. Will RM sell? That's another question. I doubt so as Pepe is 32 years old and Ramos 29 years old. If Varane stays at RM For the remaining of his career he will become a major club legend. I am sure of that.

Yes, I am a great fan. Always was.

Last edited:

Bertus

I disagree. I think that he will only get better. He is just about to turn 22. That's no age for a defender. Even an semi-injured Varane not playing regularly is among the very best defenders out there. People seem to have a very short memory. I am sure that he will step up as usual should Pepe or Ramos get injured like he did at the end of last season.

His biggest enemy are injuries. He already won everything that he can win with RM. Maybe it's time for him to move on? Chelsea would be a good pick. I am sure that Mourinho could make him even better. He flourished a lot under him and Chelsea needs a substitute for Terry.

If I was Abramovich and Mourinho I would want Varane. If RM will sell? That's another question. I doubt so as Pepe is 32 years old and Ramos 29 years old. If Varane stays at RM For the remaining of his career he will become a major club legend. I am sure of that.

Yes, I am a great fan. Always was.
And an injured Marquinhos can do at least as good as an injured Varane if not better imo ;)

Marquinhos revealed on Canal+ yesterday (interview done 1 week ago before they stopped to give interview to Canal+) that he played against Barcelona while being injured.

Marquinhos said he got injured 26 minutes in during PSG first game against Barca. Yet depsite terribly suffering, he played 70 minutes more, and managed to save PSG 3 times, including that incredible block on Alba.

So let's agree to disagree :lol: .

That said I agree that buying Varane for 10M was one of the greatest idea Flo had.

Leo_Messi

And an injured Marquinhos can do at least as good as an injured Varane if not better imo ;)

Marquinhos revealed on Canal+ yesterday (interview done 1 week ago before they stopped to give interview to Canal+) that he played against Barcelona while being injured.

Marquinhos said he got injured 26 minutes in during PSG first game against Barca. Yet depsite terribly suffering, he played the whole game and managed to save PSG 3 times, including that incrdible block on Alba.

So let's agree to disagree :lol: .

That said I agree that buying Varane for 10M was one of the greatest idea Flo had.

Yes, let's agree to disagree. I am on the Varane bandwagon and you are on the Marquinhos bandwagon. Both are great players.

Home of Barca Fans