Marquinhos

khaled_a_d

It's pretty simple logic, really. The central back position is the most crucial for our entire team right now and we're thinking about buying a 19-years old PROSPECT for that. I repeat - a prospect, not a proven defender with at least average experience on top level.

So, I'm going to ask this question - what's exactly the difference between Marquinhos and Marc Bartra at the moment? Because I see them both as a same thing - young and unexperienced defenders, who can EVENTUALLY become world class.

I'm always supporting the hunt for young and talented players, but I'm really not sure that a 19-years old kid is exactly what we need for our defense right now.

3 years younger that probably means he has more potential, also he is actually better than Bartra right now

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It's pretty simple logic, really. The central back position is the most crucial for our entire team right now and we're thinking about buying a 19-years old PROSPECT for that. I repeat - a prospect, not a proven defender with at least average experience on top level.

So, I'm going to ask this question - what's exactly the difference between Marquinhos and Marc Bartra at the moment? Because I see them both as a same thing - young and unexperienced defenders, who can EVENTUALLY become world class.

I'm always supporting the hunt for young and talented players, but I'm really not sure that a 19-years old kid is exactly what we need for our defense right now.

He's been among the best defenders in Europe based on form this season, it's not like he's Bartra who sometimes shows sparks of potential when given rare playing time. He's kept a cool head and performed in the biggest of matches, consistently starting for Roma the entire season, and does have nerves of steel. Just because he's young doesn't mean he isn't ready. Player for player changes, Marquinhos would offer the same benefits as Thiago Silva just at a younger age and at a much cheaper price.

He's been among the best defenders in Europe based on form this season, it's not like he's Bartra who sometimes shows sparks of potential when given rare playing time. He's kept a cool head and performed in the biggest of matches, consistently starting for Roma the entire season, and does have nerves of steel. Just because he's young doesn't mean he isn't ready. Player for player changes, Marquinhos would offer the same benefits as Thiago Silva just at a younger age and at a much cheaper price.

Not nearly as good (yet), but you're right. If we go for a youngster, I'd go for him.

I wouldn't be so sure that he's ready because he's done well for Roma though, the pressure at Barca will be MUCH higher (team that can't make the CL vs team that aims to win it, etc). Not saying that there's no way he's ready, I'm just saying it could take him time. I suppose I'm fine with it if Marquinhos is ready for the big games in half a season or less though.

Last edited:

i_bleed_blaugrana

Not nearly as good (yet), but you're right. If we go for a youngster, I'd go for him.

I wouldn't be so sure that he's ready because he's done well for Roma though, the pressure at Barca will be MUCH higher (team that can't make the CL vs team that aims to win it, etc). Not saying that there's no way he's ready, I'm just saying it could take him time. I suppose I'm fine with it if Marquinhos is ready for the big games in half a season or less though.

This is why the Luiz rumor makes a lot of sense short-term wise. Granted he is older than Marquinhos and Hummels and all the other CBs besides TS that we've been linked to but he has the experience at the highest level to compete and won't have as much of a developmental gap to make up.

If I was Tito, I would still go with Marquinhos bc he very well could be the next TS but it is very risky bc of his lack of experience.

If we buy Luiz outright, perhaps we could pay 20 mil plus the rights to Bojan and get both Luiz and Marquinhos?

This is why the Luiz rumor makes a lot of sense short-term wise. Granted he is older than Marquinhos and Hummels and all the other CBs besides TS that we've been linked to but he has the experience at the highest level to compete and won't have as much of a developmental gap to make up.

If I was Tito, I would still go with Marquinhos bc he very well could be the next TS but it is very risky bc of his lack of experience.

If we buy Luiz outright, perhaps we could pay 20 mil plus the rights to Bojan and get both Luiz and Marquinhos?

Yeah, I'd rather get Marquinhos as well. Isn't Luiz a shit CB and a better CDM?

Duke

will happy with either Iñigo Martinez or Marquinhos!

But why we are not making any moves? I'm assuming the sporting director identified targets already.

Indignado

We don't know everything the managers are doing. Maybe they already have deals with players we know nothing about.

USWAY

Yeah, I'd rather get Marquinhos as well. Isn't Luiz a shit CB and a better CDM?

No, he's just an extremely skilled CB. In my opinion it's similar to putting Mascherano at CB, his positional awareness fails him but the talent is there and it can cover it up. Although Luiz has some positioning problems at CB also, anyone who watched Chelsea this year saw a vastly improved, more consistent player than previously.

Anyway I wouldn't be upset if Marquinhos was our CB signing of the summer. No matter the age, can't discredit a guy who basically started a full season in one of the bigger leagues at CB. That's more than Bartra, and more than Masch before he came. Immensely talented, and best of all, he's actually a center back!

Co0ter

No, he's just an extremely skilled CB. In my opinion it's similar to putting Mascherano at CB, his positional awareness fails him but the talent is there and it can cover it up. Although Luiz has some positioning problems at CB also, anyone who watched Chelsea this year saw a vastly improved, more consistent player than previously.

Anyway I wouldn't be upset if Marquinhos was our CB signing of the summer. No matter the age, can't discredit a guy who basically started a full season in one of the bigger leagues at CB. That's more than Bartra, and more than Masch before he came. Immensely talented, and best of all, he's actually a center back!

And he's very, very fast. Barta is slow, perhaps even slower than Pique.

khaled_a_d

will happy with either Iñigo Martinez or Marquinhos!

But why we are not making any moves? I'm assuming the sporting director identified targets already.

There is a reason the transfer market lasts for around 3 month(well technically it is 2 months ,but we all know that teams make deals in June) . they might be doing more extensive scouting or negotiating with many teams or trying to sell first etc ,very few teams can make all of their transfers by the end of june

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
There is a reason the transfer market lasts for around 3 month(well technically it is 2 months ,but we all know that teams make deals in June) . they might be doing more extensive scouting or negotiating with many teams or trying to sell first etc ,very few teams can make all of their transfers by the end of june

Its wise to seal a deal early rather than letting it drag on and invite a bid war.

Home of Barca Fans