Maradona or Messi

Maradona or Messi

• Total voters

dalitis8

Banned
As much as I love Leo he is nowhere near the discussion for the best player ever yet, he is only 24 tho.

Yes.

Being CL top-scorer for 3 years running (and now on a path for a fourth) is something that many have done. Without being out and out strikers.

And would you also mind telling us, who are those who are so above Messi, that render him ineligible. Even for a discussion?

H725

Italian football was nowhere near the strongest in europe in the mid 80's. it was arguably the 4/5th best in europe during the85/86, 86/87 and 87/88. The fact that the coeffiecent covers five seasons covers this a bit as these years are always masked by the strong Juventus team at the start of the 80's and the strong Milan team of the late 80's.

If you take those seasons on their own the performance of Italian teams in europe were -
85/86 - 4th best in europe
86/87 - 8th best in europe
87/88 - 6th best in europe

On top of that England was not even included as they were expelled from european competition. When they had been the strongest country before being expelled.

Stop trying to argue that Maradona dominated the worlds strongest league in the 1980's single handedly.

You must be really deluded.
All the greatest players were playing only in Italy in the '80 (just like in the '90),4th/5th league at that time?? :lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
If he/she said 81/82 82/83 and 83/84 maybe I would have agreed but from mid 80's to mid 90's Serie A was number 1.

H725

If he/she said 81/82 82/83 and 83/84 maybe I would have agreed but from mid 80's to mid 90's Serie A was number 1.
Early '80 was the rebirth after the dark age of the '70,we won the World Cup in 1982,we had a florid new wave of great italian players,in 1980 re-opened the frontiers and immediately all the great foreigner players came like Falcao,Zico,Platini,Cerezo,Passarella,Brady,Francis,Prohaska,etc. it was already an established trend that became bigger and bigger.... the level of that competition was just incredible,nobody will ever have as many great teams and world class players like the old Serie A.

Last edited:

MoFroBo

If you ever watched Maradona, his Napoli, you'd know the answer. Maradona was anomaly, man didn't have to train to be world's best.

dalitis8

Banned
If you ever watched Maradona, his Napoli, you'd know the answer. Maradona was anomaly, man didn't have to train to be world's best.

This is a vulgar and naive argument.

Your above statement implies the following:

a) You have watched Maradona and his Napoli.

b) Those who disagree with you on the Messi/Maradona debate, have not, or not as much.

c) You have watched Messi and his Barcelona.

d) By having watched both, you are in a definitive position to judge who is better. (as if the mere watching of two players by one individual can give accurate and clinical answers)

*It is funny how in these arguments, it is always the past great that seems to be winning out.

MagIX

IMHO:

i do not care the arguments playing for barca or not, playing for napoli or not, winning the WC or not, winning the CL or not, .................. for me useless topics.

I do not have any doubt: the best player I have ever seen in my life is Maradona.

I have never seen anyone do the things that made Diego with the ball, nobody has ever touched the ball as he did, he had a hand not a foot, …… he was simply something else, like a miracle. I can only repeat never, NEVER seen in my life a player with such talent and frankly no one has ever come close until now.

Thanks my father, I had the great chances (twice) to watch him playing life against Como (at that time the club was in Serie A, I am swiss, from Ticino, south of Switzerland, and Como is a city just across the border).

The best players I have seen so far are (regardless to what they won): 1. Maradona 2. Messi 3. Zidane.
I think that the best players always make an era: there was an era of Maradona, after Diego there was an era of Zidane and now is the era of Messi.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I think we should first decide whether we're comparing their achievements or their quality as a footballer. In a team sport like football, achievements are dependent a lot on things that the individual has little control over, not to mentional circumstantial events. There is no way to tell how well Messi would have performed in the WC 2010 if his team wasnt coached by a guy who couldn't even keep his job at an Emirati club like Al Sadd...or someone who chose Ariel Garce for his WC squad because he had a dream that Garce was standing beside him when Argentina won the tournament.

Firstly, it is totally wrong/pointless to compare players from 2 different eras, and it is even worse to use their achievements as the stick to beat the opponent with. As far as I am concerned, the arguments should just stick to the players' performances on the pitch, which is extremely difficult since:

(1) There are not many people on forums that have seen both of them play.
(2) Their opinions can change with time.
(3) Nostalgia.
(4) Differences in football - there's been a definite improvement in footballing tactics over the past 20 years, the biggest has been the use of 4 defenders. I would like to see Maradona try to beat a parked bus with 9 defenders lol. On the other hand, I would also like to see if Messi can still go on his dribbles while his opponents have the freedom to scythe him down without fear of getting booked/sent off.

BarcaG

I don't like comparing players from differnt seasons/years etc however having been placed between my favourite player of all times Maradona I am voting for him

Home of Barca Fans