Manuel Neuer

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Oh, no doubt. I see. So you've seen Lev Yashin, Banks and Zoff all play have you?

You just don't like Germans very much, dontcha? The game has evolved since then, players have become much better on average due to the increasing professionalization and implementation of science and technology into everyday training. So OF COURSE the stand-out goalkeeper of this decade has to be rated much higher than those who came LONG before him.
btw, Banks. LoL. Stats alone don't mean shit.

Last edited:

Andrew M

You just don't like German very much, dontcha? The game has evolved since then, players have become much matter on average due to the increasing professionalization and implementation of science and technology into everyday training. So OF COURSE the stand-out goalkeeper of this decade has to be rated much higher than those who came LONG before him.
btw, Banks. LoL. Stats alone don't mean shit.

I don't mind if some, at the end of his career, feel he is the greatest of all time. But I cannot accept someone saying he will 'be the greatest of all time no doubt'.

It is futile to compare eras. All we can really say is who is the greatest of each era.

Bertus

Neuer is awesome.

He deserves the Ballon d'Or. Sadly it's so hard for a GK to win it.

@Ryu, don't listen to haters. It's like in Tennis, there will always be people that will say that past legends are better than Federer/Djoko/Nadal, which is a wrong imo, since the more time passes, the more sport becomes professional and requires stronger performances to shine.

Last edited:

Neeraj

This GK getting the award business, it's all a bit tricky. I'm kind of split about it, and I'm sure a lot of people casting the votes are as well.

One way of looking at it is that goalkeepers and outfield players shouldn't compete for the same award in the first place. I mean, they are just too different to compare. So no matter how good a goalkeeper is, it is very hard to completely satisfy yourself that he has been better than the absolutely monstrous outfield players who have seasons like the ones that Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Ronaldo, Kaka, Ronaldinho have each year. The best outfield players are just so much more valuable, and truth be told, it also is a lot harder in terms of effort, training etc. to be a Messi or a Ronaldo than a Neuer.

That is not to say the GK isn't important, or that it doesn't take effort to be the best out there, but you just can't compare it to outfield players IMO.

So if it were up to me, I'd have the award split into 2, one for keepers and one for everyone else. It just makes a lot more sense. Then, the fact that keepers like Casillas, Buffon, Neuer, etc. who have been better than their peers can and rightfully be recognised.

Gnidrologist

Ronaldinho's skill moves were just gimmick and brought nothing to the team. He never needed to do them, he could've dribbled players and passed the ball normally.
I actually agree with that. He made impact not with his juggling and elasticos, but when beating defenders with pace/making great passes.
As for Neuer, i'll concede the fact that i just haven't seen enough of him and am underrating. Still don't see in what way VVs distribution is worse. He didn't make that many touches of the ball, but his passing was almost flawless.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I actually agree with that. He made impact not with his juggling and elasticos, but when beating defenders with pace/making great passes.
As for Neuer, i'll concede the fact that i just haven't seen enough of him and am underrating. Still don't see in what way VVs distribution is worse. He didn't make that many touches of the ball, but his passing was almost flawless.

The point is not that Neuer's antics or R10's skill moves are gimmicks. It's that these players don't have an on-off switch that allows them to only keep the essential and cut out everything else. Without doing all the extra stuff, they would never have perfected their art of play to the level they have exhibited, it's just a natural by-product of the confidence that is requisite to reach their sphere of excellence. You have to remember that they are humans and not robots, so their decision-making is not infallible. You have to look at it as a whole and see how they're taking/have taken the game to the next level or shown what is possible when you redefine roles and responsibilities.

In relation to the comparison with Valdes, I'll only refer you to the Algeria game at the World Cup so you can see what Neuer brings to the table that Valdes can't. It's not as much to do with passing as it has to do with the confidence that Neuer instills in his back-line. Even if just the basic idea of sweeper-keeper is not revolutionary, just as the role of a flair fantasista is not revolutionary, the level to which certain players (Neuer and R10) elevate the bar is indeed revolutionary.

I'm not going to end this comment on a hyperbolic note and say that Neuer will be the greatest goalkeeper of all time, because there is no factual basis to that argument, just like there's no factual basis for the argument that any player can be the greatest player of all time, whether it's Maradona, Messi or Pele.

Yannik

Without doing all the extra stuff, they would never have perfected their art of play to the level they have exhibited, it's just a natural by-product of the confidence that is requisite to reach their sphere of excellence.

Spot on, although Neuer doesnt do too much unnecessary extra.
He tends to show off at some point but it's really rare actually. Two weeks ago he made a backheel-volley pass to a defender when he could have also just stopped it and passed it normally. Or I also remember when he threw the ball behind his back and Lewandwoskis (when he was at Dortmund) back like some sort of Basketball trick-pass. That's all I can remember where he was really showing off. The rest of what he does serves a purpose, even when hes standing in front of the box.

But these extras have a psychological aspect. It shows his confidence and has an easing impact on the defenders in front of him. They know he can do all that stuff flawlessly that he shows. They see him as someone really good to rely on. And it boosts his own confidence, and that's something a keeper really needs.

Kohe321

Haha, yeah he timed that one a little wrong, did it too early so the guy read it and it became a challenge. Had he waited one split second longer it would have been glorious :D

Bertus

I hope he pulls off an upset and wins this damn thing :lol:
It would be damn awesome.

No more thread wars about Ronaldo or Messi since they would have both lost.

But 1 million threads of hate, anger and salt, lots of salt, towards the best GK of this generation :worthy:

Home of Barca Fans