Manchester City

FC433

Even as individually tbh. City as deeper and had so many elite talents, your argument ignore the depth and the margins of difference between the players in addition to players fitting to coaches.
For example, sure Alison is better than Edison, but the later is far better fit to Pep and what he wants (not that I agree). VVD is better than Laporte and Dias but the margins with current Dias isn't so big atm and even when you consider their age when signed.
Robertson wasn't better than Mendy before ACL, he was a beast when he had a functioning knee
I agree, but I was not talking about the squad as a whole. Having better players individually does not at all mean that you have a better team. I still think LFC's starting 11 are better than City's, individually. For the amount of $$$$$ that has been spent, this seems concerning, to me.

I would like to see your take on the starting 11 of each side that I have listed.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I think the biggest thing you overlook here [MENTION=20666]FC433[/MENTION] is the circumstances these players were brought in.

Alisson was not Alisson when Ederson was signed. City needed a GK then. Alisson's value really skyrocketed the season Ederson was signed when he was superb for Roma. Mendy was really highly rated and an integral part of the Monaco team that went far, and he started off his City career really well too until he tore his ACL, returned and tore his ACL again. Very tough to come back from two serious knee injuries like that. That's just bad luck.

Almost the entire Europe wanted to sign Gabriel Jesus from Brazil, Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern included.

City wanted to sign VVD too, but he chose Liverpool.

DonAK

Had Barca not signed Coutinho who knows if Liverpool would be able to pay for all these players as well lol

FinBarcelonafan

How Begiristain is still not fired? Poor recruitments despite their huge investment. LFC still has a better starting 11 with less investment.

Alison > Ederson

Arnold = Walker
Gomez > Stones
VVD > Dias
Robertson > Zinchenko

Fabinho > Rodri
Henderson < KDB
Thiago = Gundogan

Salah > Mahrez
Firmino > Jesus
Mane > Sterling

That is crazy!

City has superior bench

FC433

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]
Totally, it is a lot easier to say this and that after the fact. But his poor decisions seemed consistent, that is the issue I believe.

khaled_a_d

[MENTION=15376]DonAK[/MENTION]
Totally, it is a lot easier to say this and that after the fact. But his poor decisions seemed consistent, that is the issue I believe.

Every SD has his faults, it is just part of the game. You can't win if you don't play.
The one area that Txiki always get right, is how the pieces fit together.

I would take a page from BBZ book and use same FIFA type of numbers.
But sometimes, you could have a team of players who average ratings are 85, but collectively they are 80 and even if you have great coach they will play up to 85 at best.
Some other times, you have a squad with average 80, but collectively they are 85 because of the great fit, they cover each other weaknesses and complement their strength.
Now, you add coach to the equation, getting the best guy for the squad, and the best signings for the coach.
Txiki knows both, don't get me wrong he is far from perfect but he is a guy who works damn well with his coach to maximize current squad, even at fault sometimes (mostly thanks to Pep stubbornness)

As for value, City always had to pay oil tax during their signings, no one will sell to them for market value. No way that is happening.

FC433

^
Although I disagree with you, I get your point. That is fair; however, if it were up to me, I would have replaced him, undoubtedly.

Mateka

How Begiristain is still not fired? Poor recruitments despite their huge investment. LFC still has a better starting 11 with less investment.

Alison > Ederson

Arnold = Walker
Gomez > Stones
VVD > Dias
Robertson > Zinchenko

Fabinho > Rodri
Henderson < KDB
Thiago = Gundogan

Salah > Mahrez
Firmino > Jesus
Mane > Sterling

That is crazy!

I think that depends on whether you have blue eyes or red eyes.

I have blue eyes.

Allison = Ederson

Arnold < Walker

VVD > Stones

Gomez < Dias

Robertson = Zincenko

Fabinho < Fernandinho

Henderson < KDB

Thiago = Gundogan

Salah > Mahrez

Firmino < Silva

Mane < Foden

The bench City are stronger.

But, my friend, I have blue eyes.

JamDav1982

Robertson = Zinchenko? Steady on.

Robertson is up there as best LB in the league. Zinchenko is not even in top ten.

City need a new LB. Zinchenko was badly exposed yesterday and is not a natural in that position despite looking decent at times when Pep has LB play more or less DM.

DonAK

Alisson is a better GK than Ederson. Don't need blue or red eyes to decide that. Just yellow ones as Alisson starts for Brazil.

TAA and Robertson are also better than Walker and Zinchenko IMO.

Fabinho is a better player than Fernandinho.

Mateka

Liverpool FBs were great last season, not this season.

Just because somebody is number 1 GK for his nation does not mean he is the best for City style of play.

Again with blue eyes, Fernandinho every time.

But my friends, I have blue eyes.

JamDav1982

Liverpool FBs were great last season, not this season.

Just because somebody is number 1 GK for his nation does not mean he is the best for City style of play.

Again with blue eyes, Fernandinho every time.

But my friends, I have blue eyes.

Robertson had far better season than Zinchenko who needs replaced and is not a LB.

Jenks

Alison > Ederson

Arnold = Walker
Gomez > Stones
VVD > Dias
Robertson > Zinchenko

Fabinho > Rodri
Henderson < KDB
Thiago = Gundogan

Salah > Mahrez
Firmino > Jesus
Mane > Sterling

That is crazy!

Gomez has never performed better than Stones has this season, and Thiago can only dream of being on Gundogan's level.

Home of Barca Fans