Xaviniesta

no one has ever taken it to the extreme like qsg and city

they're killing competition with their state-backed financing

this is a joke

Andrew M

no one has ever taken it to the extreme like qsg and city

they're killing competition with their state-backed financing

this is a joke

How are they killing competition? Man City were shit last season. I don't like them anymore than you do but the odds are also in the favour of the legacy clubs like Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Utd, Liverpool, Juve.

If Messi leaves it is not because of money

Vilarrubi

The past doesn't matter. Ajax have history, Benfica have history etc

It's where you stand in the present and future that matters

Agree. Any talk like that just comes off as bitter. As long as clubs aren’t breaking rules then not overly bothered what their history is, every successful club has got to start somewhere.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Depends on the time period. I know over the past decade they have spent a lot more.

But if you look at Summer 2019 and Winter 2020:

Man City spent 161M and earned 80M (-81 Net)
Barca spent 288M and earned 122M (-166 Net)

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/02/10/net-spend-list-premier-league-european-giants-revealed/

City's net spend is ridiculous, but look at the amount of money we've spent only to have this finished team since Bartomeu won the elections in 2015:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/trans...&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

Vilarrubi

Rumours City have bid for Koulibaly. Koulibaly and Laporte is a good CB pairing imo, will massively improve them at the back. Compared to Stones, Otamendi etc

BarcaOG

Banned
Psg and City ruined football.

Why would Messi want to go to a club with no history?

city is not dominating the EPL and they have been failing every season in the CL.

PSG dominates france but, for all theyve spent at that club, they have no CL to show--which is what they were after from the beginning.

real, barca and man united always spend a lot on players, so the argument that the oil clubs inflate the market is only partially valid (though i will concede that theres truth in it).

unless city and psg win a bunch of CLs and city wins back to back to back EPLs, no, i dont see why the 'oil' clubs will have ruined football

El Gato

Villarato!
Argument of foreign investment, Middle Eastern or otherwise, mostly stems from jealousy for the good parts it brings and fear of the bad parts it might cause.

Newcastle fans were 'gutted' over Saudis not taking over showing how morally flexible most of the fanbase is with their ethics. "We know they're terrible, but at least we'll win on the pitch".
Most clubs would say that as well, even though they're the ones shouting loudest WRT petrodollars.
And the likes of Liverpool or some Barca fans who delude themselves into thinking they're 'the proper clubs' need to get a life.

SmilerBam

Saw the thread only now :lol: Posted a new thread without knowing this is on.Anyway,my opinion about them and their intention on landing Messi: Anyway,what an ugly,abomination shithole of a club.I don't think anyone knew about them until 10-12 years ago,i mean the other petro dollars clubs where at least known in Europe(PSG,Chelsea),but Citeh...well,i don't think so.Anyway,Pep has really sunk in my eyes after accepting the job from City.And Messi will sink even further after all his shenaningans with the transfer request and not showing up for training and joining this truly plastic club.Let's hope they'll fail miserably,Messi or not.Still searching for that Champions League it seems...hope they'll search forever.

Home of Barca Fans