Luka Modric

jamrock

Based on the entire season he doesn't deserve it, but it's a world cup year & Madrid won there 3rd in a row. So that's all people care about.

El Trencaxarxes

As someone who watch most of RMs games, not just watching Modric in the world cup, no, i dont think its deserved.

Funny thing is, if there are people who only watched Modric at the World Cup, and concluded that he must be the best player in the world, they must have no clue as to how football works. It baffles me how someone could look at the Croatian World Cup campaign and legitimately think that Modric was the clear-cut best player in that team. What about Rakitic and Brozovic? What about Perisic and Mandzu in the knockout stages? What about Vida and Lovren who were excellent defensively for much of the tournament? It's so odd how Modric has gone from being a bit underrated to being well overrated, and it's so odd that he should win all these accolades in arguably his worst year since 2013.

Zidane82

Funny thing is, if there are people who only watched Modric at the World Cup, and concluded that he must be the best player in the world, they must have no clue as to how football works. It baffles me how someone could look at the Croatian World Cup campaign and legitimately think that Modric was the clear-cut best player in that team. What about Rakitic and Brozovic? What about Perisic and Mandzu in the knockout stages? What about Vida and Lovren who were excellent defensively for much of the tournament? It's so odd how Modric has gone from being a bit underrated to being well overrated, and it's so odd that he should win all these accolades in arguably his worst year since 2013.

The very same people seem to think that Rakitic is a brilliant player as well !!

Joan

It's almost pointless to say whether it's deserved or not when you don't know the criteria. Being the best player in the world quality wise is clearly not the main one.

El Trencaxarxes

Based on the entire season he doesn't deserve it, but it's a world cup year & Madrid won there 3rd in a row. So that's all people care about.

But Modric didn't win the World Cup though? And I won't hear it that he "led" Croatia to the final. He was pretty much on par with Rakitic and Brozovic for most of the tournament. And let's face it. Croatia played exactly one really good game in that tournament, which was the 3-0 win against Argentina. In their first match, they were not better than Nigeria. They narrowly beat Iceland in their last group match, which was irrelevant either way. Then they went on to play three matches of 120 minutes to get past Denmark, Russia and England, needing to go to penalties for two of these. And then they got massacred by France. Croatia and Modric honestly wasn't a great experience. They played one really great game, and then they struggled on one of the easiest paths to the final I have ever seen.

BarcaOG

Banned
pretty shitty that modric has a ballon but xavi/iniesta dont. not only that, but, unlike xavi and iniesta, who in their prime actually had a good argument in their favour against both Leo and CR, modric today<<CR<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<messi

iits absurd

malvolio

They played one really great game, and then they struggled on one of the easiest paths to the final I have ever seen.

This! Stumbled to a final with Modric as another brick in the wall in most games. Bar his cameo against Argentina, he was fairly anonymous, by "the greatest player in the world" standards.

Morten

I never claimed his world cup was as good as many thinks, but hey, he won "best player of the tournament", that will sway quite a few opinions.

His world cup as solid, but i dont think he even was the standout player for Croatia, it was a team effort, with various players stepping up at different times, and its not like they even won it in the end.

xxxxxx

This is one of the most shocking decisions I've seen.

He's been poor this season..... and he had like 2 good games in the whole World Cup (with the easiest path to the final). How does that win you the Balon?

Gaudi

If they rename the reward to MVP of the year it would have some sense, if you continue to call it BEST, then it's funny.

tacticvarium

If this guy can win the golden ball, then GOAT midfielders like Xavi and Iniesta should have won at least three times.
Feels sorry for players like Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, David Silva etc as well.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If this guy can win the golden ball, then GOAT midfielders like Xavi and Iniesta should have won at least three times.
Feels sorry for players like Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, David Silva etc as well.

tbf - The GOAT midfielders had GOAT in their team eatin in their chances of winning it. Modric just had a more-handsome-more-marketable-Miroslav-Klose which played right into him winning it!!

btw - This only strengthens the argument that 2 of 5 CR7's Ballon d'Ors are a direct result of papa Perez calling shots!

tacticvarium

Personally, I think Xavi deserved the 2010 Ballon d'Or, and Iniesta the 2012 Ballon d'Or more than Messi.
The Spanish NT between 2008~12 was arguably the greatest NT in football history but none of them have won the golden ball lol.
Football is full of corruptions.

Last edited:

Morten

Personally, I think Xavi deserved the 2010 Ballon d'Or, and Iniesta the 2012 Ballon d'Or more than Messi.
The Spanish NT between 2008~12 was arguably the greatest NT in football history but none of them have won the golden ball lol.
Football is full of corruptions.

Iniesta in 2012, the year Messi scored 91 goals? No way.
Ronaldo had a monster season.
2010 is more of an argument though.

Home of Barca Fans