Luis Suárez

clemente

FYI 2 of the top 10 overal rated players in La Liga were defenders and one a midfielder

Did you really just write a wall just to prove me right?

I will address the Messi issue. If it is so easy to score with Messi one would think Aguero, Higuan, Dybala, Alexis, and others like Paco would shine more with him than away from him. In fact they haven't and don't in the vast majority of cases (OK Neymar, like Suarez, seems to be productive with or w/o him). Maybe it is really really hard to play with Messi--takes a special player, not to mentioned Messi rightly gets the penalties and free kicks that the other top strikers get to pad their goal totals with.

Nobody cares about your Argentina names, he himself doesn't get the ball there and is instantly marked by 5. Why not mention someone like Pedro, Villa.

Further, Suarez has kicked ass wherever he has been for a decade, including the last 13 months in two the fiercest international tournaments. 4 goals in 9 matches (WC and Copa) + 2 assists. Been one of the top 5 strikers among national team members be it last 8 years, 5 years or the last year. Is he the best, no, are their more than a handful better, a very hard case to make.

Are you again writing to me how great he was for a decade? What is wrong with you? How many times did I tell you that I don't care about his past? He is possibly the best striker of this generation, but how is that relevant to him being absolutely shameful last 2 seasons? You are just one of those "can't wait till he gets his form back" before every match for the past 2 years, struggling to accept that he is just a leech and wouldn't even be a rotation player for City / lfc.

Last edited:

Arizona Scott

i guess you ignored not only his recent league production (last 2 years) but also recent nt production (last 14 months) that doesnt include messi or even good creative distributors in a squad relative the weight class of opponents uruguay regularly punches with.

to take a line from the life of brian there just is no pleasing some people.

Hawk

it must be the champion league anthem to cause suarez to resemble a pensioner in that competition. a lot of skirting around on the fact that his legs are shot at the CL level.

Arizona Scott

it must be the champion league anthem to cause suarez to resemble a pensioner in that competition. a lot of skirting around on the fact that his legs are shot at the CL level.

If memory serves he 1) scored the opener in the most important tie for Barca in years and against the worlds best defense; 2) had a key role in our 2nd of 3 goals (hit the bar where Messi got an easy rebound); and 3) created the 1st goal in the United quarters (away) tie but they decided to credit an own goal. So let's see, key parts in 3 goals in the quarter and semi ties, all on bum knees.

And I guess to many his continued destruction of Real in the Classicos whether home or away doesn't count for much because they usually are not on Tuesday nights and somehow the sport is magically different than how it is played in all other tournaments--including the world cup, international cups, matches in the best and hardest league in the world to win, domestic cups, etc. Because clearly the rules are all different in the CL--you can only score with your non dominant foot, heading is only allowed if your are bald, and the pitches and goals are twice as small, and goalies more than 5'5" are not allowed.

If memory serves he 1) scored the opener in the most important tie for Barca in years and against the worlds best defense; 2) had a key role in our 2nd of 3 goals (hit the bar where Messi got an easy rebound); and 3) created the 1st goal in the United quarters (away) tie but they decided to credit an own goal. So let's see, key parts in 3 goals in the quarter and semi ties, all on bum knees.

And I guess to many his continued destruction of Real in the Classicos whether home or away doesn't count for much because they usually are not on Tuesday nights and somehow the sport is magically different than how it is played in all other tournaments--including the world cup, international cups, matches in the best and hardest league in the world to win, domestic cups, etc. Because clearly the rules are all different in the CL--you can only score with your non dominant foot, heading is only allowed if your are bald, and the pitches and goals are twice as small, and goalies more than 5'5" are not allowed.

Well Suarez is good but too weak for CL. Compare him to Ronaldo who scored 24 goals in Knockout stages in the last three years while Suarez only scored one goal. Both are strikers so you can compare them.

Arizona Scott

Well Suarez is good but too weak for CL. Compare him to Ronaldo who scored 24 goals in Knockout stages in the last three years while Suarez only scored one goal. Both are strikers so you can compare them.

Compare them in La Liga performance or Classico performances (I think pretty close). Almost every year there is no higher level of football played than in Classicos and this year included 2 extra in the CDR where the clubs went all in it (Real's only chance to get anything from the season and they were sitting on those matches waiting for us). The CL is not some different animal of how to play football than other comps--footy between top clubs in the best leagues in the world, footy in the world cup, etc. In fact I would say the best footy played for the last 5 years have been the Classicos and last year' City-Liverpool league matches. Liverpool was great against us too. Way too much extrapolation is shared around here based on a handful of matches in one competition whose victory/defeat runs on the narrowest of margins. Heck Tottenham almost won it this year--if it was a Liverpool player doing a 1st 2 minute handball instead of Spurs the distance 4th ranked team in the EPL probably is reigning champ.

Not saying Suarez is one CR's level now (though quite frankly there was a 3-4 years stretch he was) but a major difference the last 5 years is Saurez is asked to play with intensity about 50 matches and CR like 15. Some fault of the player and some fault of their managers.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Griezmann played 150 minutes as a No9.
We barely created a chance.

Suarez steps in...
We scored two.
Suarez missed one good chance also.

Vilarrubi

Class goal, he looks slimmer too.

Let’s not get carried away though guys, let’s wait til those CL knockout games instead of getting all excited over a pre-season game.

Campos

Can't hate on El Pistolero.
Still doing his thing.

Will probably let Griezie bench.
Most expensive bench from Europe. Griezie next to Frenkie.

Home of Barca Fans