Luis Suárez

ronniecro

i'd be happy to keep him but on conditions of lower wages and rotation/backup role,similair to larsson years ago. wishful thinking,obviously

EdmondDantes

Can't get my head around a 33 year old and way past it Suárez continuing at the club (while being paid ludicrous wages) let alone being guaranteed a starting spot in the upcoming season no matter how badly he will perform. Truly depressing stuff even more so when either Griezmann or Dembélé (most likely the latter) will have to warm the bench for an extended period of time just to accommodate the dinosaur.

If his absolutely catastrophic statistics in the CL (since the 2015-16 season) did not speak for themselves and did not showcase our complete and utter reliance (offensively) on Messi to create his usual magic, I don't know what will be needed.

We will never even come close to winning the CL with Suárez in the starting lineup.

He is done at the top level. He might have and will have his occasional great game but that is about it. Not good enough to be our leading offensive outlet aside from Messi who is no youngster either to put it mildly and who much like Suárez does very little defensively.

I loved him as a player. At Ajax, Liverpool, his first few seasons here but now, on merit, given his steep decline, he should be a squad player here. His Champions League scoring record for the past 2 seasons speaks volumes. Father time is calling, Luis.

Leo_Messi

I loved him as a player. At Ajax, Liverpool, his first few seasons here but now, on merit, given his steep decline, he should be a squad player here. His Champions League scoring record for the past 2 seasons speaks volumes. Father time is calling, Luis.

Suárez has arguably been my favorite striker (number 9) in the past 10 years (after Eto'o left us later to decline after his Inter stint) and was superior to Eto'o in his prime. The complete package. Loved his grinta, winner mentality, individual ability, defensive contribution (much like Eto'o), never die attitude etc. All those controversial incidents never bothered me and I was obviously a minority among neutrals who liked him a lot as a footballer.

Used to and continue to cheer for Uruguay in South America for the most part partially due to Suárez as well. Thankful for his contributions to our club in his 5 years.

However there comes a point where even arguable club legends or at least highly prolific players become a burden and cause for frustration. Suárez has been such a player for me for almost 2 seasons now. His stats in the CL have been utterly pathetic as well for years. Just a shadow of his former self and it adds to the frustration that you are well aware of him being an absolute beast not long ago.

That and my dislike for the whole "club de amigos" clan that I believe is almost as much to blame for our failures as Valverde and the useless board. Wrong, what I meant to write is that the clan has had a negative impact as well. Because if we did not have a spineless board and an even more spineless manager, there would be no "club de amigos" clan in the first place. To such an extent at least.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

Griezmann is days from becoming a Barça player. Neymar might very likely follow him suit soon as well. Messi is Messi.

Can anyone see Suárez being willing to spend a great deal of time on the bench without creating some kind of fuss? I am resigned to him staying for next season and I would be fine with that as well if he could accept a role as a substitute but that is quite unlikely. Hard to believe that he will accept being a substitute after 5 years of being an undisputed starter.

CatalinR10

Griezmann is days from becoming a Barça player. Neymar might very likely follow him suit soon as well. Messi is Messi.

Can anyone see Suárez being willing to spend a great deal of time on the bench without creating some kind of fuss? I am resigned to him staying for next season and I would be fine with that as well if he could accept a role as a substitute but that is quite unlikely. Hard to believe that he will accept being a substitute after 5 years of being an undisputed starter.

If he still thinks that , if both Griez and Neymar come here , he deserves to be a starter then just fucking LOL.

At most he'll be a bench player and Coutinho sold.

Leo_Messi

If he still thinks that , if both Griez and Neymar come here , he deserves to be a starter then just fucking LOL.

At most he'll be a bench player and Coutinho sold.

If Griezmann and Neymar will be bought I cannot imagine Coutinho nor Dembélé staying. However Suárez is going nowhere.

Add a spineless manager into the mix (Valverde) with little authority and his friendship with Messi and he might become a burden. Fitting all 4 players into the same lineup would be tactical suicide.

Suárez has to be benched if both Griezmann and Neymar arrive. Nothing would speak in his favor for him to start. Neither his current level, his age nor price tag. I can't imagine the useless board buying Griezmann and Neymar in the same transfer window for one of them to warm the bench so Suárez can start.

So the question is, will Suárez graciously accept his most likely new role as a substitute (mainly) or will he create trouble in the dressing room? A part of me doubts him being a cause of concern due to how integrated he is in BCN and him playing for us being a lifelong dream but you never know with such huge egos and how they will react to suddenly being a substitute and second fiddle after 5 years of being the "top dog" alongside Messi.

EdmondDantes

I don't see Suarez accepting a bench role at all, unfortunately. And of course, the small time, spineless coach we have in Valverde wouldn't dare try taking him out of the team either.

It will be yet another season with us defending with 9 men. Messi and Suarez, standing, hand-on-hips most of the time like last year.

I have fond memories of Suarez being a relentless pressing & tackling machine when we first signed him but he's too old for that now.

feggydinho

Why aren't we looking for someone that could replace Suarez like Lacazette for example, because I wouldn't want us to be in the same position as last season where Suarez is the only physical striker we have who flops continuously without being subbed and probably starts blaming his fatigue again.

clemente

Why aren't we looking for someone that could replace Suarez like Lacazette for example, because I wouldn't want us to be in the same position as last season where Suarez is the only physical striker we have who flops continuously without being subbed and probably starts blaming his fatigue again.

We literally just bought griezzman, and there is no 9 on the market, Laca 100% isn't for sale even for unworthy money.

CuleInAsia

Last season as a regular. Should be a bit part player going on, the wages are going to be a big burden though. Paying that much for a bit part substitute etc.

Tackle

Last season as a regular. Should be a bit part player going on, the wages are going to be a big burden though. Paying that much for a bit part substitute etc.

He still has one year left on his contract after this coming season.

He's going to remain a starter for the next two seasons most likely. Folks wanting him out still have to wait a few years. After that he could sign an extension on lower wages to be a substitute option or leave, which is more likely of the two options.

feggydinho

We literally just bought griezzman, and there is no 9 on the market, Laca 100% isn't for sale even for unworthy money.
Griezmann can't really play as the focal striker, I think Lauturo Martinez is a better physical and focal striker compared to griezmann.

Home of Barca Fans