Luis Suárez

henias

[MENTION=22246]Judoman[/MENTION] True, I would love to see Coutinho-Messi-Dembele-Malcom link up, would have had so much more pace and movement and can cause serious problems for opposition.

Right now, whether or not a no. 9 is beneficial for us doesnt translate to what Suarez has been contributing at top levels. He's been hurting us too much and our goals in the CL is a harsh reflection of the malfunction in our attack, that has been going on for years now.

We were a threat during 14/15 because Suarez WAS the linkup play, but now he isn't and you could see that taking a huge toll on us. Can say he's a warrior or a threat in the box but that hasnt really worked well for us. Link up play is still important, even when we counter attack, we need pace and a strong link.

Looking Suarez's contribution for us in the CL in recent years, I think it's safe to say it is more of a necessity than preference to start phasing him out. I dont see a point sticking with Suarez and we have to at least try something new, because there is nothing to lose at this point. We simply cant keep going on like this if we want to establish ourselves at European top flight again.

ASordidGod

Suarez isn't an excuse for Barca to not compete in the CL this season. The Barca squad is more than good enough to challenge for that trophy. On paper, Barca certainly has one of the best squads in the world this season, if not the best.

It's like Real winning the CL with Benzema or France winning the WC with Giroud, both of these players are inferior to Suarez but were still the best teams in the competition and the manager found a way to make it work despite the majority of the fan-base arguing against the decision of the manager.

Valverde has to find a way to make it work.

Except with Suarez it's not the goals (or lack thereof in CL) that is the main problem, it's his detrimental impact on our all round game. Say what you want about Benzema and Giroud's goal scoring records, but at least they improve the teams they play in. Suarez is the opposite. Is Valverde brave enough to at least TRY without him? I don't see it. He'll play him because it's the easiest option. And we'll suffer as a team because of it.

Lol, last season we had same trashing going on and everyone going nuts, calling him finished and wanting him to be sold. Then as season progressed, he actually became as sharp as he has ever been. Last season i counted all the points that were given to our players in MOM thread. YOu can find it here. I never finished it for several reasons, but it overall shows that Suarez was according to Barcaforum 3rd best player for last season.
Fast forward to another beginning of season and another making assumptions based on 1 match after very difficult season with Suarez participating in WC.
But of course, it is too much to expect rational thinking from people.

He is for sure our best striker. You rather have Paco or Munir starting?

Sry i forgot you need to exaggerate everything to absolute maximum. So its either he was best player and should be never sold, or he is done for and should be sold. No fcking way he will suck at the beginning of season but eventually gather his form and be a vital part of our game as it goes on. No, lets shoot the man after 1 game and call him finished.

Paco no, he's had his chance and offered nothing. Munir? Maybe give him a go. Though personally I'd go Messi false 9, with wingers who stay high and run in behind when he drops off.

While I agree that Benzema has been a better performer than Suarez in the CL I think context is important in this comparison.

Barcelona has a whole has been very underwhelming in the CL in in the past 3 years, whereas Real Madrid have overall been very good in the CL over the past 3 years.

Real has an other mentality, they are on fire when they play against the biggest teams in the world while Barca plays same like in La Liga.

clemente

If we really must play with a 9, I would rather see Munir, at least he can keep up with the buildup and is actually pressing.

Saladin

We should try to go for Rodrigo from Valencia and sell Suarez to China.

I would prefer Firmino most of all, but with Klopp + the closed EPL window this is mere daydreaming.

Saladin

Except with Suarez it's not the goals (or lack thereof in CL) that is the main problem, it's his detrimental impact on our all round game. Say what you want about Benzema and Giroud's goal scoring records, but at least they improve the teams they play in. Suarez is the opposite. Is Valverde brave enough to at least TRY without him? I don't see it. He'll play him because it's the easiest option. And we'll suffer as a team because of it.

Paco no, he's had his chance and offered nothing. Munir? Maybe give him a go. Though personally I'd go Messi false 9, with wingers who stay high and run in behind when he drops off.

This!

What's the point of a golden, strong and solidified spear when the tip of the spear is made of rubber?

EDIT: For those who claim he is not 'fat'

luis-suarez-liverpool_uk554z4uym9j1ny1yad3glpxi.jpg

Suarez.jpg

Last edited:

henias

This!

What's the point of a golden, strong and solidified spear when the tip of the spear is made of rubber?

Exactly, what's the point of having world class midfielders, who lays perfect red carpet passes, only for someone to just give the ball away cheaply.

Then what are we doing the whole 90 mins? What's the point? It's almost as of we are passing for the sake of passing. There's simply no outcome at all.

People want goals but forgot goals need to come from plays. No point having a striker who cant even pass or hold on to it. Just a food for thought.

BarçaBarça

The board new we would need Griezmann to replace him, but bet on the wrong horse apparently.
Lets hope he at least kicks in a few this fall and doesn't break some offside-record once again.

With Coutinho/Dembele there is some alternative (Messi as 10/false9) that we didn't have last year with Vidal/Deulofeu as our options. Therefore we can hope for some benchtime if he begins with another dreadful spell. Of course there is Paco/Munir as well, but I'm not expecting much from there, and I don't think Valverde is either.

Andrew M

It's clear that this season may be his last as a starter, but it's disheartening to look at the market and see so few options to replace him. I don't have confidence in Messi as a false 9. It seems so dated now.

We may just have to take a chance on a young guy and see how it goes

jairzinho

We need to forget about Messi playing false9. It’s not going to happen and it isn’t going to work. He doesn’t have the mobility anymore to play that role.

ATLBarcaFan

we're in real trouble up front, Suarez is giving this team nothing at this point. He hustles, that's about it, he can't pass dribble or shoot, not good

Home of Barca Fans