Luis Suárez or Ronaldo (Il Fenomeno)

Who's the better player do you think?

• Total voters

NorthernVictory

What's R9's defensive workrate and pressing contribution compared to Suarez, though? For us, Suarez's insane pressing is a vital component of our game.

ini4ever

I agree when it comes to talent but arent we underrating Suarez a bit? The general feeling he is below Messi/Ronaldo level and at the Aguero/Neymar/Lewa table.
Yet this man has been a monster for a while now. With Ajax, Liverpool, Uruguay and with us. He always adapts, becomes the best player and carries the team. Now we have Messi and are stacked but surely this man right now is the second best player in the world and above the likes of Eto'o, Drogba, Sheva and more. I put Suarez in the same bracket as Henry and Ronaldo as best strikers I have seen. Cr7 as well by the way. Only players that are comparable and better are Messi and Ronaldo pre injuries.

It's not about underrating him or not, Indeed Suarez is a damn good striker who gives you goals when you needed but this happens when he's fed, And that would be enough for a forward, Because that's what a forward suppose to do.
But when you see forwards like Ronaldo who could give you more than a goal, which is a 'win', it would be more valuable to a team sometimes can't feed his forward. And that'd be called 'a level above' here.

Galaxyman

As for Suarez vs. Ronaldo. Well...

Side fact:
- In 2014, Suarez beat Ronaldo's 2006 WC qualifiers record of 10 goals. Luis had 11 in the 2014 qualifiers. He's also 1 goal away from breaking Crespo's all-time qualifiers record (19). So: he's inevitably going to become the all-time top scorer of the most difficult/competitive qualifiers on earth.

Now, in terms of attributes:
1. Assists -Suarez by a large margin.
2. Pressing - Suarez again. Ronaldo never really did anything other than play #9.
3. Versatility - Suarez shines in any position. He even played 10/10 as a right-back once vs. Arsenal. The man's a footballing genius.
4. Big games- Again, Suarez's consistency in big games is ridiculous. Probably unmatched in football history. He's never had a Ronaldo level "0-3" flop loss at the World Cup final. What Suarez accomplished against England will go down in football folklore forever.
5. At Barcelona- Suarez, again. He's surpassed Ronaldo in stats and in trophies he surpassed him a long time ago.
6. In Europe- Check out Suarez's time in the Netherlands (he matches Ronaldo's hugely impressive stats) or their similar level of play England/Italy.

finally.

7. International- Believe it or not, Suarez matches Ronaldo. Sure, Ronaldo won the 1994 World Cup (where he didn't play), and the 2002 World Cup. But, that was on a team that I believe would have won it without him. They were that stacked. His 2006 performance was very low by his standards. Suarez won a Copa America, and won the "Best Player of the Tournament award" by outplaying Messi (the greatest of all time), Neymar, Aguero and peak level Falcao. He carried Uruguay to a World Cup semi final, where he was (IMO) the true best player of the tournament (and not Forlan). In 2014, had it not been for the biting, he had a real chance of carrying Uruguay to another world cup.

Suarez is way beyond Aguero, or Eto'o guys. He's legitimately 1 of the best players of all-time; those rare talents that come every 50 years.

Last edited:

RevoTeller

I agree when it comes to talent but arent we underrating Suarez a bit? The general feeling he is below Messi/Ronaldo level and at the Aguero/Neymar/Lewa table.
Yet this man has been a monster for a while now. With Ajax, Liverpool, Uruguay and with us. He always adapts, becomes the best player and carries the team. Now we have Messi and are stacked but surely this man right now is the second best player in the world and above the likes of Eto'o, Drogba, Sheva and more. I put Suarez in the same bracket as Henry and Ronaldo as best strikers I have seen. Cr7 as well by the way. Only players that are comparable and better are Messi and Ronaldo pre injuries.

Wait, I don't understand: Suarez is considered in the same bracket of Aguero/Lewandowski and, at the same time, he is far better than Eto'o and Shevchenko....
Something is awfully wrong here, since in this way it seems you are implying that Aguero/Lewa > Eto'o/Shevchenko, which is mind-blowingly absurd.

As for Suarez vs. Ronaldo. Well...

...Suarez is way beyond Aguero, or Eto'o guys...

The wording of yours is frankly hilarious, as if Aguero and Eto'o were even comparable. Aguero is not fit to lace prime Eto'o's boots.

As for Suarez vs Ronaldo de Lima, R9 before his injuries was by far the better player between the two, not even close.

UEFA_Barça_Chris

o Fenômeno
I try hard to avoid Suarez vs R9 due to the fact that I love them both to the core but this one right here smh...
4. Big games- Again, Suarez's consistency in big games is ridiculous. Probably unmatched in football history. He's never had a Ronaldo level "0-3" flop loss at the World Cup final. What Suarez accomplished against England will go down in football folklore forever.
please stop. What "0-3 flop"? Did you forget the man had a seizure the night before the match? Brazil itself was not in a right state. Did you also forget Ronaldo scored a hattrick in Old Trafford to advance RM in away goals? How about Ronaldo vs Holland in 1998? How about his return from year and a half injury entering the WC 2002 and being just as decisive w/ Rivaldo and Ronaldinho! Ronaldo was just as unmatched in big games as Suarez.
5. At Barcelona- Suarez, again. He's surpassed Ronaldo in stats and in trophies he surpassed him a long time ago.
yeah...one season ronaldo with Barcelona. 47 goals 49 apps with a unstable Barcelona side, breaking the norm of maximum Pichichi goals....at age 20. Since we're talking stats
6. In Europe- Check out Suarez's time in the Netherlands (he matches Ronaldo's hugely impressive stats) or their similar level of play England/Italy.
You might want to check the age between Ronaldo's time at PSV with Suarez at Ajax. Take notice he only played in Holland for 2 seasons as a 18/19 year old.

Of course Suarez is better than Aguero and the rest have mentioned. I put Suarez up there with Romario in finishing. My gripe is that you said you watched ronaldo your whole career but this post doesn't convince me that you ever did. Other than that I can agree with anything you can say about Suarez but you chose the wrong dude to compare him to. :lol:

Galaxyman

I try hard to avoid Suarez vs R9 due to the fact that I love them both to the core but this one right here smh...

please stop. What "0-3 flop"? Did you forget the man had a seizure the night before the match? Brazil itself was not in a right state. Did you also forget Ronaldo scored a hattrick in Old Trafford to advance RM in away goals? How about Ronaldo vs Holland in 1998? How about his return from year and a half injury entering the WC 2002 and being just as decisive w/ Rivaldo and Ronaldinho! Ronaldo was just as unmatched in big games as Suarez.

yeah...one season ronaldo with Barcelona. 47 goals 49 apps with a unstable Barcelona side, breaking the norm of maximum Pichichi goals....at age 20. Since we're talking stats

You might want to check the age between Ronaldo's time at PSV with Suarez at Ajax. Take notice he only played in Holland for 2 seasons as a 18/19 year old.

Of course Suarez is better than Aguero and the rest have mentioned. I put Suarez up there with Romario in finishing. My gripe is that you said you watched ronaldo your whole career but this post doesn't convince me that you ever did. Other than that I can agree with anything you can say about Suarez but you chose the wrong dude to compare him to. :lol:

Sorry man. But a ":lol:" emoji does not constitute a credible argument for me. I've proved Suarez has surpassed Ronaldo on the pitch in every attribute. At this point, I'm convinced I'm just among a bunch of Ronaldo fan-boys. So, that's it for me because you can't use logic vs. pre-established bias.

You literally have Michael Owen say that Suarez has re-invented the position (and the game with it). Ronaldo, at his best, was just "the best striker ever." But Suarez has gone beyond that, and this is why he's unarguably the superior player. Even head-to-head in stats now, which is all Ronaldo fan-boys used to have (sorry, it's true).

Thanks for your messages guys. And yes...Ronaldo is the greatest athlete...nay...human who has ever graced planet earth :) :)rockon:)

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
The only aspect at which Suarez has been better than Ronaldo is in terms of longevity...... Ronaldo would have had the same if it were not for his injuries!

Ronaldo was magical..... Suarez a fighter

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Sorry man. But a ":lol:" emoji does not constitute a credible argument for me. I've proved Suarez has surpassed Ronaldo on the pitch in every attribute. At this point, I'm convinced I'm just among a bunch of Ronaldo fan-boys. So, that's it for me because you can't use logic vs. pre-established bias.

You literally have Michael Owen say that Suarez has re-invented the position (and the game with it). Ronaldo, at his best, was just "the best striker ever." But Suarez has gone beyond that, and this is why he's unarguably the superior player. Even head-to-head in stats now, which is all Ronaldo fan-boys used to have (sorry, it's true).

Thanks for your messages guys. And yes...Ronaldo is the greatest athlete...nay...human who has ever graced planet earth :) :)rockon:)
Taking Michael Owen's argument for tactical analysis is not exactly the wisest decision bro.

Suarez has a great play-making ability for a striker but it was sort of blown out of proportion for his achievements in England...... Who are notorious for lack of any tactical nous!

F

Flavia

Michael Owen is credible now, and the most important opinion on that matter? The guy who also said this:

[tw]173867664450650112[/tw]

He says a lot of bs.

Also, quite strange to be labeling people with a different opinion than yours, when you also seem to be a fanboy. R9 was more talented, a step above Suarez. Suarez has more tenacity, but that's it. R9 injury history also prevented him of being even better. He was almost on par with Messi. And not on numbers, but on talent. I like Suarez more, as R9 played for 5 years for rm, and I also dislike his persona. But he was a better player.

RevoTeller

This thread is phenomenal. :lol::lol:

Some gems:

- Those thinking that prime Ronaldo > any Suarez (which is the truth) are fanboys, while the one saying that Suarez is the second closest thing to Maradona ever :)lol:) is not.
- Eto'o is continuosly lowballed to Aguero levels.

I think some of you suffer of short-terms memory regarding Eto'o.

Horatio

You're welcome
[tw]173867664450650112[/tw]

Thıs comment by Mıchael ıs very easy to explaın. He clearly favours Messı as he ıs the fırst one to receıve the complıment. Now...because he complımented Messı he ıs forced to say somethıng complımentary about Ronaldo to even the scale sınce he doesnt want to compromıse relatıonshıps wıth other players/fans/staff etc because of theır shared hıstory wıth Manchester Unıted. He ıs basıcally playıng ıt safe.. I bet you my gamıng collectıon that hıs thought process went somewhere along these lınes.

Well, he's better than fat Ronaldo and will end up with a much more successful career. Nowhere close the greats in terms of peak ability though.

Just compare him with neymar, it's so fun. Suarez is the better player so far ( wonder who will want to argue against that these days ) but falls way short in terms of peak ability.

And the universe seems ok with that contradiction.

Home of Barca Fans