Luis Enrique

spark

Almost wonder if he likes these baptisms of fire for newbies as some test of mettle. Not sure when we're playing away at Anoeta but I can say with some certainty good luck Arda and Denis at trying to control the midfield when the time comes :lucho3:. Probably has it penciled in as a good time to roll out the oft heralded Mascherano Mathieu defensive partnership as well.

serghei

Equivocation. As I already pointed out, this isn't baseball to go by averages and then claim full stop Lucho has won more trophies. I don't know bardh but hyperbole it was

Yea, saying Lucho won more than Pep in 2 seasons, while marginally true, doesn't say much, considering in Pep's 3rd season Barca was unbeatable almost and won the Liga + CL double with ease. No matter what Lucho does this season, he can't improve on Barca 2011. Even if he makes the treble which is highly unlikely, he still won't touch Pep's 2010-2011 Barca.

Pep is a better manager by a distance, and a master tactician which Lucho is clearly not.

Last edited:
Yea, saying Lucho won more than Pep in 2 seasons, while marginally true, doesn't say much, considering in Pep's 3rd season Barca was unbeatable almost

It's not marginally true, it is true lol. And it says a whole lot about Lucho if you ask me, unless you consider Guardiola's first two years a failure.
Either Lucho is an excellent coach in his own right, or his mediocrity is placated somehow. I am fine with both hypotheses since the end product is the two most successful years in the history of the club (and history in general).

And barça lost 6 games and drew 11 more in 2010-2011. In 14/15 they also lost 6 but drew only 5, and won the treble with record numbers. The 14/15 team was more successful and reaped better results. The 2010-11 was slicker and more elegant. Sure, Lucho can't beat Pep in an artistic sense. He's beat him by the numbers so far.

Pep is most likely a better coach, but no one said otherwise, you jumped on an opportunity to rub it in.

Bardh

Equivocation. As I already pointed out, this isn't baseball to go by averages and then claim full stop Lucho has won more trophies. I don't know bardh but hyperbole it was

Don't you understand that you can't compare coaches of 4 years in charge to coaches of 2 years in charge the same way? It's like comparing the goals for a striker who played 4 game and one who played 2 games. Yes, in total, Pep has more trophies BECAUSE he was longer with Barca. And I can wager any time you like that Lucho will have more than 14 by the time his fourth year finishes.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Know facts, full stop

Pep won more trophies with Barcelona than Lucho has but Enrique is still only in his third season as coach. Statistics are never going to tell you the whole story since the basis of today's success was cultivated under Guardiola in the first place

Playing identity, ability to entertain while dominating matches & trophies - still considerably in Pep's favor

As is basis for pep success cultivated by Rijkaard as was his by Van Gaal.

But yeah, we will keep on reading people harping about how life began with pep.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
As is basis for pep success cultivated by Rijkaard as was his by Van Gaal.

But yeah, we will keep on reading people harping about how life began with pep.

Not sure anyone claimed that - life perfected with Pep, not began with

serghei

Marginally true :lol: that's really too much

Pep in two years - 2 La Liga, 1 CL, 1 CWC, 1 E. Supercup 2 Spanish Supercup, 1 Copa del Rey.
Lucho in two years - 2 La Liga, 1 CL, 1 CWC, 1 E. Supercup 1 Spanish Supercup, 2 Copa del Rey.

Lucho basically has 1 Copa del Rey, to Pep's 1 Spanish Supercup.

So this means Lucho won more than Pep in 2 years, but by very little (basically the same total nr. of total trophies and the same nr. of big trophies). Hence the expression "marginally true", which means the statement IS true, but by a very fine margin.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Don't you understand that you can't compare coaches of 4 years in charge to coaches of 2 years in charge the same way? It's like comparing the goals for a striker who played 4 game and one who played 2 games. Yes, in total, Pep has more trophies BECAUSE he was longer with Barca. And I can wager any time you like that Lucho will have more than 14 by the time his fourth year finishes.

I didn't compare them did I? You did. And you did so by claiming more trophies, full stop - these aren't my words, they are your own. This is called walking back off the ledge

So it's not full stop is it? Lucho hasn't won more trophies than any other Barcelona coach in history has he? That would be Pep, full stop - that's the correct use of that characterization

vlad

I would also say that la liga is much stronger now then before when pep was in barca, you have atletico now, they are maybe in top 3 teams in the world now, atletico during pep barca atletico was mid table club, real until mourinho did not play semifinal Cl, also other clubs, then liga was truly 2 horse race, so i would also consider that when rating lucho

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
How exactly did we not dominate last season when we had a run of 3x undefeated game ? and were like 6 or more points ahead at some point ?

I'd say from January 2015 (when lucho stoped the experiments) all the way through to the April 2016 debacle we pretty much dominated not only La Liga but all of Europe.

Now either that's on Lucho, MSN or whatever is another thing, but to say we didn't dominate is wrong.

serghei

I never said we didn't dominate. I said we didn't dominate like with Pep in 2009 and 2011. Big difference.

BBZ8800

Wanna bet?

Let's see if Lucho can beat 3 La ligas + 2 Cls.
I am especially curious to see how will Lucho reach the 2nd CL in his reign.

Btw, I am not a fan of Pep at all, I like all our coaches more or less the same (Cruijff, Van Gaal, Rijkaard, Pep, Lucho), each one of them contributed in some area and with lots of trophies.
But still, I don't believe that Lucho's 4 years will be more successful than Pep's 4 years in terms of MAJOR trophies (La liga & CL, plus World club championship to some extent).

I really can't bother to count who won more Cdrs or Spanish supercups or who had more single victories in La liga (stats in CR7's style).

Home of Barca Fans