Luis Enrique

F

FlaFCB

I don't agree.
For Months I have been talking about our drained motivation.

The only way to test our motivation is to get a new coach.
If a team will play like crazy (motivated) on longer terms, then it was on Lucho.
If our team will be sleeping, the same as today, then it was not on Lucho, but on individual players who just have problems being motivated too often (since they won everything way too many times and their mental batteries have just drained, like in 10s of previous teams in the past).

Motivation is also on the coach. Something that drives motivation on a team is competition. Did lucho bring players that would ensue that in the squad? No... He brought arda, gomes, denis, paco. If at least some canteranos that would give their all were there too, it'd be a boost, even if a small one. But he brought a lot of players that are not like that. Arda lazy, and the rest are not those kind of players either. And his mathieu/gomes fetish? Keep playing them despite them not deserving so may minutes... while benching others like alba. All that affect the players, in a negative way.

Also the lack of structure. he changed the 343 a bit in the match vs Juve, instead of doing what had worked before. Rakitic was the RW, ffs. And mathieu as the lcb in the 343 does not work. As he doesn't work as LB.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
If the entire team is underperforming as a unit, then it is on the coach.

Does motivation alone win games? No. It has to be complimented with a sound tactical system and Lucho's system is chaos.

Meatball

If the entire team is underperforming as a unit, then it is on the coach.

Does motivation alone win games? No. It has to be complimented with a sound tactical system and Lucho's system is chaos.

Who said anything about motivation alone winning games? We r talking about a number of reasons why Barca hav been struggling this season! N clearly the lack of motivation is one of them. A sound tactical system using players like Gomes, Mathieu, Denis, ect is useless!

BBZ8800

Motivation is also on the coach. Something that drives motivation on a team is competition. Did lucho bring players that would ensue that in the squad? No... He brought arda, gomes, denis, paco. If at least some canteranos that would give their all were there too, it'd be a boost, even if a small one. But he brought a lot of players that are not like that. Arda lazy, and the rest are not those kind of players either. And his mathieu/gomes fetish? Keep playing them despite them not deserving so may minutes... while benching others like alba. All that affect the players, in a negative way.

Also the lack of structure. he changed the 343 a bit in the match vs Juve, instead of doing what had worked before. Rakitic was the RW, ffs. And mathieu as the lcb in the 343 does not work. As he doesn't work as LB.

Sometimes motivation is on coach.
Sometimes it is on players.
Sometimes it is both.

For example, we all remember Ronaldinho past 2006.
Was any coach able to bring back motivation in him? No. Guy just lost desire and that was it.
He played football later, but that was always 50% of a former prime Ronaldinho.

Further, you also probably remember Galacticos from RM.
They were winning for some time, and then in their late era (when they were all older and when all of them won CLs and individual Ballon D Ors), they started to suck badly.
Real changed 100s of coaches in that time. No one was able to bring back the spark into Zidane, Figo, Beckham, Raul.
They won too many trophies.
Media and fans glorified them for too long and for too much (best team ever, best this, best that).

Plus, I have wrote this several times before, I think that it was Zidane who said: you can't run with the same intensity and with the same hunger in your 1st and 5th CL final.
It is not as if you don't care at all anymore, but you care way too much when you are winning it for the first time.
For example, just look the hunger in La liga from Real and Barca.
Real didn't win La liga for years and they are fully motivated.
Our guys? Well, who cares, more or less.

Again, imo, it can't be only on Lucho.
I would be willing to say: if someone is willing to bet that we will play exactly the same (unmotivated) even under a new coach (but then some people will say that I want our team to fail).
Anyway, I think that we will all see the same old Barca without motivation in the next season and things won't change with a new coach and a new system.
Things will change only when we will change half of the current oldies (Messi, Iniesta, Pique, Masch, Mathieu, Busi, Rakitic etc).

For example, we can't say for any younger guy in our team that he is not motivated.
Those guys are either good or not good enough. But they all run like crazy on every match.

Denis? Not good enough, but he is never without motivation.
Rafinha? The same.
Roberto? Always motivated.
Paco? Bad, but he tries.
Vidal? Always trying.
Digne? Trying.
Etc.

Oldies, can you say the same?
Messi? He is surely not as motivated as in 2006, 2009 or 2011.
Pique? Lol, the same.
Busi? The same.
Iniesta? Old and not motivated.
Rakitic? Less motivated than before.
Suarez? Less motivated than in 2015.
Neymar? Even he is probably less motivated than in 2015.

Guys who never won trophies will more or less always run and play like crazy.
With them, only a quality is questionable.
With older, proven guys:
1. some will play good even 2-3-4 trophies
2. some will lose motivation even after 1-2 trophies like Ronaldinho and Deco in the past

And majority of our guys won 3-4 CLs (Messi, Iniesta) and several world cups and Euros.

Anyway, Lucho will be gone soon.
We will be able to test player's motivation in 3-4 months already.

** A random line that will probably cause some fights, but ok. At the beginning of a season, Neymar replied to a Brasilian reporter on Olympic games: I have won everything I could in football (when a reporter questioned his form and motivation).

Anyway, if he really thinks that he has won everything (which he did to some extent), but that also shows the attitude of our superstars, to some extent.

I have won everything (aged 25, lol) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

xXKonan

The Neymar going deep issue, is because of our broken ass Midfield. I doubt he would constantly go deep to retrieve the ball if we had a Real Midfield. He's mad at Mathieu but you bet your ass off he will still play more.

F

FlaFCB

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], I hear about motivation being a problem since Pep's last season. Yet these players keep winning. Ronaldinho was an isolated case, and a terrible example.

The decline of Lucho's tactics started last in 2016, around March. Since then, it's been downhill. If the coach were changed last summer, we wouldn't be witnessing any of that.

It's like rm under Benitez and now under Zidane. Same players, but the team is quite different. Our problems start and end with the joke of a coach we have.

Barcilliant

[tw]852874981969059840[/tw]

How does it work?Should I book it in advance? Because I think there will be quite a queue in the dressing room:thinking:

Lmfao!!!!!

Lucho is actually starting to become an entertainer. If we don't win any trophies we can actually watch the sideshow Lucho and BARCA have become.

Barcilliant

@BBZ8800, I hear about motivation being a problem since Pep's last season. Yet these players keep winning. Ronaldinho was an isolated case, and a terrible example.

The decline of Lucho's tactics started last in 2016, around March. Since then, it's been downhill. If the coach were changed last summer, we wouldn't be witnessing any of that.

It's like rm under Benitez and now under Zidane. Same players, but the team is quite different. Our problems start and end with the joke of a coach we have.

I think it's a combination of many factors.

Yes , Lucho has to take the blame primarily because he sucks tactically.

However there are players here who are clearly past it or not good enough.

Iniesta is old and can only play well in spurts.
Busquets looks increasingly shopworn.
Rafiñha, Arda, Gomes, Paco, Mathieu, Mats, Denis not good enough. That's Seven players.

Neymar too distracted. Suarez not fit enough. Pique to complacent. Mascherano getting old.

There have been only two players who have been consistent this season. Messi and Umtiti.

Without Messi we'd be struggling for a cl spot.

Umtiti is too young to carry the defence. Pique should be doing that.

The main issue is the lack of quality in the midfield and Luchos tactics.

I also think Lucho is playing to the gallery here but let's hope it's genuine.

I just hope the players stay professional and we don't get embarrassed.

F

FlaFCB

Rafiñha, Arda, Gomes, Paco, Mathieu, Mats, Denis not good enough. That's Seven players.

Neymar too distracted. Suarez not fit enough. Pique to complacent. Mascherano getting old.

There have been only two players who have been consistent this season. Messi and Umtiti.

Iniesta is injury prone for a while, that problem should had been addressed properly already. Same way Xavi and Alves weren't properly replaced. Who's fault is it?

Busi plays badly when he has to do it all, he needs better midfield partners.

Rafinha, Arda, Gomes, Paco, Mathieu, Denis were all brought by lucho. Rafinha is a good squad player, and that's it. But they were signed by our genius coach. He got Arda to be a RCM for Barça. That is cringeworthy, and says a lot about licho's ability to assess talent.

Pique had some great form that went bad after he was called publicly by lucho too.

Lucho and robert failed to address the problems and buy proper players, and everything ultimately boils down to that, alongside the fact lucho is not a good coach.

serghei

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], motivation has dropped very fast with Lucho. Basically lasted since january 2015, until march 2016. That's very little. And also, if we take the Pep case, motivation sure, has dropped with him as well in the league in '11-'12, against smaller teams. But in the CL, in his last season, the team wanted it as much as in 2009. You can't say we lost to Chelsea because of lack of motivation. I saw a motivated team that created loads of chances and missed most of them.

Losing the last 3 knockout way games in CL with 2-0, 4-0, 3-0 is an extraordinarily bad performance.

Most of those issues are fixable with a new manager. When too many players are underperforming, and not one, or two, or three, you know it's on the manager mostly.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], I hear about motivation being a problem since Pep's last season. Yet these players keep winning. Ronaldinho was an isolated case, and a terrible example.

What if these players had skills level 100 and motivation 100 during Pep?

Then with Tito and Tata, their motivation dropped to 80, but the skills were still at 100.

5 years later, their motivation dropped to let's say 50, but now their skills also dropped to 80 since they are 30 or 30+ (and they lost a part of physical abilities).

In short: this team was so skillfull, that when we were on prime and motivated, we were two levels above everyone (Pep's days).

Even post Pep, we were still so good in skills that we could win even with mediocre motivation.

But now, when we are both old, tired and low on motivation, we have this.

Rakitic, Iniesta, Mathieu, Masch, Pique, Messi, Busi won't get younger and more motivated.

You can return some motivation in younger guys who already won trophies like Neymar, Alba and similar.
But more or less, our core is old, tired and lost the motivation.

My prediction is that we can hire 18 Sampaolis and they won't help.
We will either play exactly the same in the next season or we will be motivated for two months in the beginning of a season and then we will return again to a current state.

I would compare our morivation with Messi's pace.
When Messi was young and fast, he was by far the best player in the world.
When he lost some of his pace, he was still the best in the world, but not as good as younger Messi.
But one day, when Messi will lose majority of pace, he won't be the best in the world, aged 35 or 36.

The same is with our skills and motivation.
Till some point, we were able to win even with mediocre motivation.
But when our age and low motivation reached a critical point, there is no going back again (except having random short episodes of good form lasting 3-4 weeks and having tons of hot and cold matches all the time).

Anyway, imo, others will realize that soon with a new coach.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans