Neymar Masche Rakitic Pedro
Alba Mathieu Bartra Alves
MAtS

O maybe Iniesta as playmaker and Messi instead of Pedro on the right:

Suarez
Neymar-Iniesta-Messi
Busquets (Rakitic)-Mascherano
Defense

I also like the lineup with Suarez and Messi as pure strikers.

Anyway, in any formation, we have to work as unit. The defensive workrate of our attack needs to improve (Messi included !!), they absolutely have to support the defense.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Good 4231 Ursegor. I played iniesta instead of Pedro though because he will come inside and alves overlaps. I played Busi instead of masch because he'd b back to his best in that formation and with the way we want to play.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
How about we play the best/most in form players we have instead and try to adjust the system to the players instead of the other way around.
I like the these formation like:
3-4-3/5-2-3 hybrid with Pedro and Alba wingbacks

Bravo
Bartra-Pique-Mathieu
Pedro------------Alba
Masch-Rakitic
Messi-Neymar
Suarez
Subs: Rafinha for Masch if we need more attacking flair than defensive cover

Or a 4-1-3-2

Bravo
Pedro-Bartra-Mathieu-Alba
Masch
Rakitic-Messi-Iniesta
Suarez-Neymar​

Both these formations are flexible, versatile and well balanced in terms of attack and defense and the best part is neither feature Alves

Hamzah

High Definition Member
The second formation is basically what we've already got.

Also not a fan of 3atb, just because guardiola uses it at Bayern doesn't mean we should use it..

Kohe321

This next phase will be one of the most interesting to watch for sure, as Lucho now has 3 defeats and several poor matches with his system and it should be more than clear to him that he needs to make adjustments and change. We can't continue just like we are.

Now, I am pretty confident that he is aware of this and will try to change things. The question is whether or not what he changes to will work, and that's what's going to be very interesting to watch. Ancelotti had a period of experimentation when he started at RM with trial and error, and after some time he got it right, and right now they are playing extremely well together. Like a unit with a clear purpose. Lucho needs to do the same. This squad as it stands right now should be able to compete for the CL, saying anything else would be a cop-out. Who knows what a coach like Ancelotti could make of this Barca team if only given the instructions: "make of it what you will, but make this team win!". I think he'd be able to make a BEAST of a team out of this squad. Lucho should too, or leave.

Yeah, interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

This next phase will be one of the most interesting to watch for sure, as Lucho now has 3 defeats and several poor matches with his system and it should be more than clear to him that he needs to make adjustments and change. We can't continue just like we are.

Now, I am pretty confident that he is aware of this and will try to change things. The question is whether or not what he changes to will work, and that's what's going to be very interesting to watch. Ancelotti had a period of experimentation when he started at RM with trial and error, and after some time he got it right, and right now they are playing extremely well together. Like a unit with a clear purpose. Lucho needs to do the same. This squad as it stands right now should be able to compete for the CL, saying anything else would be a cop-out. Who knows what a coach like Ancelotti could make of this Barca team if only given the instructions: "make of it what you will, but make this team win!". I think he'd be able to make a BEAST of a team out of this squad. Lucho should too, or leave.

Yeah, interesting times ahead.

I'm not sure he'll change anything. His speech yesterday pointed to the contrary. He thinks we lost because of bad luck with the finishing.

Luis Enrique: "I think we deserved to win the game"

WWW.FCBARCELONA.COM
11/01/2014 23:08

The Barça coach regretted the loss to Celta and said they were not "effective" enough
"I think the team have the right attitude and I would take any game with that many opportunities," he explained

Barça players are supposed to control play. "That's what we want to do, but if we can't we have trouble," said Luis Enrique after the team's first home loss of the season.
But he isn't worried because he liked the constant pressure his side generated and said that good football from their opponent and some other freak moments were what led to the loss. "It's time for us to pick ourselves up and focus on the next match," versus Ajax in the Champions League, this time in Amsterdam.

"There will be days like this" throughout the season, but we'll see "what we can improve upon" to right the ship of a team that already has the right attitude. "I like the team's attitude, and it would great if we had that many opportunities every game," he said.

Not even comeback losses will change his philosophy. "I think in almost all the games we've won possession and, even though that's not what counts, I'm not going to change my mentality nor our approach." Why? Because Barça "is always better off with the ball."

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He doesn't make much sense. Hope it's just a case of being a bad communicator.

His idea behind playing midfielders wide is to counter oppposition crowding the midfield (tactic that worked against Barca). But it inevitably leads to same dead street as before as there's still noone to cross the ball to.

Kohe321

Sigh, now that's disappointing to read. I hadn't seen those quotes. Not good, he comes off as very stubborn in those quotes. Now, I hope what he says in these post-match interviews is different than what he actually does, as a way to make it seem like he has control and try and minimize the fire from the media, but it might be that his ego is the size of Spain and he refuses to change and admit he's on the wrong path with the team. I'm fearing this is the case, he doesn't exactly strike me as a humble person.

Last edited:

Behrox

The second formation is basically what we've already got.

Also not a fan of 3atb, just because guardiola uses it at Bayern doesn't mean we should use it..

The formation may be same but the tactics can't be more different than what I propose. First of all you got Masch instead of Busi at DM so he can act as as 3rd CB sitting just in front of the other 2. Secondly Rakitic/Iniesta aren't to play babysitters to the FBs and instead of having a midfield void we have Messi, Rakitic and Iniesta/Rafinha providing linkup play. Notice that the midfielders are to stay central instead of playing on the wing. In my proposed tactics wing play is a plan B as opposed to a plan A. Pedro and Alba are to provide another option not be the main option in attack. Our attacking flow must not should but must be executed through the middle to be effective and not the wings. That is the way to make the most of our best players

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The thing is, I wouldn't flame the guy for sticking to his guns and remaining almost overly loyal to his philosophy if he had a real one. Playing smart and high quality football would make it alright to struggle with results for a bit because you'd know that in the long run the team would benefit from it and find success.

Lucho's tactical model on the other hand is just dumb both in theory and execution. I don't feel too optimistic in regards to him changing things up. He did a lot better in the 2nd half of the season when at Celta but you need to see some sort of upward trend or promising pattern to know if things are being fixed.

Behrox

The thing is, I wouldn't flame the guy for sticking to his guns and remaining almost overly loyal to his philosophy if he had a real one. Playing smart and high quality football would make it alright to struggle with results for a bit because you'd know that in the long run the team would benefit from it and find success.

Lucho's tactical model on the other hand is just dumb both in theory and execution. I don't feel too optimistic in regards to him changing things up. He did a lot better in the 2nd half of the season when at Celta but you need to see some sort of upward trend or promising pattern to know if things are being fixed.
What tactical model? Putting WC forwards on the ball hoping for a miracle or trying to cross the ball aimlessly to midgets is not a tactic at least not for me. LVG at United might be struggling with results but we can clearly see what he is trying to execute and when it starts top click United will be on the rise again

footyfan

Calma, calma
Good 4231 Ursegor. I played iniesta instead of Pedro though because he will come inside and alves overlaps. I played Busi instead of masch because he'd b back to his best in that formation and with the way we want to play.

One of the points of Ursegor's formation was to limit Alves coming up and giving crosses. Having Iniesta there will only encourage that behavior while an actual winger like Pedro will limit it. Iniesta will also unnecessarily crowd the midfield while not providing as much defensive work rate as Pedro. When the team switches to a 4-4-2 in the defensive phase, I think Iniesta on the right would be a terrible idea, and not just because he would slow down the counter-attacks.

And tbf Pedro's crossing is also 10x more dangerous than Alves'.

I would be really surprised if any of that 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 happens though

Kohe321

Yeah very true. It would be easy to accept a few losses if we could see that we were on the right track, where Lucho had good ideas and wanted to implement a promising system, it was just not honed and integrated into the team perfectly just yet. Sort of like Man U under Van Gaal, or Ancelotti in RM.

Basically, when you rebuild the team, you want to see that the builder has a clue and is working on a good project. You don't want to see that the builder has the helmet on backwards and is shouting "derr, the scaffolding, the scaffolding!", and puts up the roof before the walls etc. To put it poetically :lol:

I'm not completely out of confidence with him though. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Ajax game and I hope we'll see some changes. He did well at Celta as time went on. I didn't see much of them last season, but how did they play? Not with this tactic I presume? I recall them playing much more Barca-like than we are now.

Barca19stats 49 min
In which game did the 3rd loss occured for every barça manager:

Enrique: 13th game

Tata: 36th

Tito: 33th

Pep: 24th

Rijkaard: 15th

Ouch. :(

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans