Luis Enrique

F

Flavia

Does anybody have stats for the midfielders the last few games? It seems like they have been playing closer together and passing to each other more.

Whoscored has them(match report - positional report - player positions)

Eibar:
ynfop.jpg

Ajax:
5yc7dc.jpg

footyfan

Calma, calma
Pedro dropping deep, helping out the defence in the centre of the pitch and starting counters is certainly something that we've seen only this season. I really don't think Suarez will play the same positions and roles, I'd expect him to be hanging on the shoulder of the last defender, atleast initially. In the future it's possible Lucho could incorporate his potential for a high work rate by assigning him more tasks in the build-up etc but I wouldn't count on it.

BerkeleyBernie

Looking at Pedro's position and wondering if Suárez is going to occupy same space.

Basically, yes, though that's average position, not really accurate regarding attacking position. Pedro tracks back the most to defend of any of the forwards, which is why Neymar and Messi display in front of him. Suarez will be more level with Messi, or even further forward, as Messi plays more in the midfield. And Messi sometimes displays to the right of Pedro because of his attacks coming from the right touch line.

The front three positions, as I've observed them:
Messi playing center, with Pedro slightly to the right of him, and Neymar closer to the left touch line.
Movement:
Messi: sometimes walks up front, sometimes drops into center mid, sometimes goes wide right
Neymar: starts on the left touch, moving forward and center, as the play allows
Pedro: stays mostly center to draw a centerback off of Messi. Moves right when play advances down right through Xavi/Rakitic and Alves. Looks to make runs in behind high lines, otherwise, positions for wall passes and tap-ins. If ball is lost anywhere in his vicinity, he participates in the recovery as long as necessary

I expect Suarez to stay central like Pedro, but will take greater advantage of any slight gaps or weaknesses that present themselves. More likely to get #9 hold-up balls from Rakitic/Xavi/Iniesta to distribute to Messi, or turn himself.

Kerrybai

Hm what is it with Lucho getting experimental in the wrong games? Playing MaTS in a big game without giving him time to get used to his team and now playing with a new left back without trying it enough in other games. Didn't Mathieu only get one game before this as left back?

F

Flavia

Hm what is it with Lucho getting experimental in the wrong games? Playing MaTS in a big game without giving him time to get used to his team and now playing with a new left back without trying it enough in other games. Didn't Mathieu only get one game before this as left back?

He played LB all his life. I think Lucho started him there today to have more solidity defensively. But he looks lost attacking. Might be nervous.

Home of Barca Fans