Lliga: Valencia - FC Barcelona 0-1

Iarwain

Well, the basic idea with Busi-Masch was for either one to cover for Dani and Alba who rushed forward the entire time. Subsequently, after Lucho dissolved the pseudo double pivot the team was exposed twice over Alba's flank. So the basic idea wasn't that bad; but due to that the team lacked punch and pace going forward resulting in the well known image of running against a brick wall in the final third yet again.
Yes. That's why I think Rakitić should have started in front of DP instead of Xavi.

KyletheMuslim

Guardiolista
I prayed for a goal at around the 88 minute mark. God answered my prayers in an otherwise bad game from us, great from a neutral perspective though

BerkeleyBernie

Great game. We won and everyone saw how stupid the idea of a Mascherano-Busquets double pivot is. Perfect really.

Let's be clear: this was not a double pivot 4-2-3-1. It was the same 4-3-3 with players bizarrely asked to play completely out of position:

Xavi pushed to Iniesta's spot, playing more AM than CM, with Masch responsible for distributing and bringing the ball up.
Busi pushed to Xavi's spot, but doesn't have Xavi's mobility and vision in that position
Masch takes Busi's spot, fine for defending, but awful in distributing

Most surprising is that it took 69 minutes for the first sub. May have worked more or less to nullify Valencia, but completely dismantled Barça's attack.

gatsu

A good win in a difficult pitch, Valencia were good tactically, they reduced the spaces, playing between the lines was close to impossible, that said I'm still not convinced with the offensive line up, Messi, Suarez and Neymar isn't working well, playing 3 forwards without any defensive work forces our midfield to compensate thus Messi can't find the needed support, this is why he hasn't touched a lot of balls tonight.

F

Flavia

Well, the basic idea with Busi-Masch was for either one to cover for Dani and Alba who rushed forward the entire time. Subsequently, after Lucho dissolved the pseudo double pivot the team was exposed twice over Alba's flank. So the basic idea wasn't that bad; but due to that the team lacked punch and pace going forward resulting in the well known image of running against a brick wall in the final third yet again.

It wasn't a double pivot, though. Busi was playing cm, and he looked lost all game. He's not used or suited to play there. And Xavi didn't help, he was tired. Has been playing too much recently. We had no midfield, and Messi shot only once. Clear indication everything was wrong. Maybe if Lucho had actually played a double pivot, things could had turned out better.

Let's be clear: this was not a double pivot 4-2-3-1. It was the same 4-3-3 with players bizarrely asked to play completely out of position:

Xavi pushed to Iniesta's spot, playing more AM than CM, with Masch responsible for distributing and bringing the ball up.
Busi pushed to Xavi's spot, but doesn't have Xavi's mobility and vision in that position

Most surprising is that it took 69 minutes for the first sub. May have worked more or less to nullify Valencia, but completely dismantled Barça's attack.

Yes, scoring was heavily compromised with that setup, although Suarez should had scored at least twice. But Messi only shooting once was a clear sign Lucho screwed up.

I haven't confirmed it yet, but it looks like Barça don't score so few goals in the league since 2007.

Schumi

Suarez missed two sitters and also scored a tap-in that was inexplicably disallowed.

So we did create chances (not many though) but the problem is that Valencia also had 3 excellent chances if I am not mistaken. Fact of the matter is that I can't recall when was the last time that we beat Valencia easily at the Mestalla. Impossible to recollect.

Iarwain

Suarez missed two sitters and also scored a tap-in that was inexplicably disallowed.

So we did create chances (not many though) but the problem is that Valencia also had 3 excellent chances if I am not mistaken. Fact of the matter is that I can't recall when was the last time that we beat Valencia easily at the Mestalla. Impossible to recollect.
I'll just add 2/3 Valencia chances came after double pivot.

DennyCrane

It wasn't a double pivot, though. Busi was playing cm, and he looked lost all game. He's not used or suited to play there. And Xavi didn't help, he was tired. Has been playing too much recently. We had no midfield, and Messi shot only once. Clear indication everything was wrong. Maybe if Lucho had actually played a double pivot, things could had turned out better.

Yeah I know, I referred to defensive duties alone hence the term pseudo. Nevertheless you're right, the whole setup was bizarre. Messi on the wing turned out as fruitless as I expected as well: No space = No dribblings, completely robs him off his strenghts.

Siberia

Good game. Some players played way out of position but we did have some huge chances that should've been scored. All that aside, I'm happy we got the 3 points at a very difficult ground. Valencia is a strong team, very strong! They won 3-0 against atl madrid so yeah I expected this to be a very difficult match.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

Yup this was not a double pivot. Lucho really player a 4-3-3 with 2 DMs. Yes, that's how terrible his lineup was. I really don't know what he was thinking here.

barcanuck

Team plays better the past 2 games, what Lucho does? Keep it up? No, let's change things again. Sigh.

Well last two games (Sevilla and Apoel) Busi and Masch took turns not starting. For any big game the dilemma has hit the last 4 coaches and the answer has been to start both of them.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Lucho got lucky tonight.
Hope this win won't mask the problems.
We are way to static with Busquets adding his limp to Xavi's age and Messi's stroll.

Home of Barca Fans