Lliga | Round 5: Celta Vigo - FC Barcelona 4-1

Neeraj

Wow. I can't remember the last time we got outplayed this way.

We have lost games due to luck, we have lost games where we didn't finish and the opposition took their few chances, we have lost games to buses. But honestly, when was the last time the opposition played our game better than us? Their passing was phenomenal, their one touch, their 1-2s, their positioning, their pressing, their defending - every single aspect was better than ours. That's the most surprising part for me, not the score or result.

As someone posted earlier, I think we were terrible receiving the ball with back to goal. Any pass zinged to the midfield or forwards (Suarez was especially poor last night in this respect) had tremendous Celta pressure on the man, and the ball was inevitably miscontrolled or lost. This is what we are supposed to be good at, and yet, when we pressed them hard (make no mistake, we pressed them as well) they were turning us inside out and playing through the pressing like a champions league winning team. Really crazy stuff.

The whole team, including MSN let us down last night, and we have to accept that fact - our bench is probably the worst in the league and January cannot come soon enough. If I have to talk about one player though, it's got to be Ter Stegen. Is he to blame completely for any goal? Probably not. Could he have done more and saved at least 1 of those? That's a question which a lot of people might have - cause you have to understand, great keepers make great saves - the ones that are expected to go in. Ter Stegen doesn't seem to be saving anything at this point. Not 1v1s, not long shots, not corners, not chips..nothing. It's a bit worrying, and I really think it could impact our season in the CL if he continue to be our starting keeper there.

barcafan161

It's depressing really.

Our squad depth is so fucking horrendous right now, we don't have any impactful player who can come off the bench and make a difference. We are suffering tremendously because of this transfer ban and it is infuriating me.

It will be a cold day in hell if that fat spaniard leads madrid to the liga title and takes it away from us.

long way to go in thew title race

remember when real won 20 straight? still didn't win la liga

Chainsaw

Killahead
Last season I was not happy with the team before they picked up form after the Sociedad loss. This season the same story going except that we are conceding even more goals and getting outplayed pretty bad.

klc123

Midfield isn't good enough when rakitic doesn't play. Iniesta has shown he isn't good enough to play at the top level week in week out. Can wait for turan to come in and shake things up.

bongo128

Great game from Celta. They exposed us in lot of ways and we lacked physicality and tactical awareness the whole game. Roberto once again showed he lack the physical, technical and tactical presence in midfield. Pique and Alves were particularly careless in positioning. Busi was lazy and lacked discipline and help in midfield. In attack things were bad too - Suares isolated, Messi well covered and Neymar outmusled. This game must be a good lesson for us. Lot of teams will try to replicate the Celta tactics. We must prepare good tactical reply for such intense and organized play or we will suffer.

BigBarcaBoy

Midfield isn't good enough when rakitic doesn't play. Iniesta has shown he isn't good enough to play at the top level week in week out. Can wait for turan to come in and shake things up.

iniesta not good enough? Mmm, maybe physically it is more difficult for him but not good enough, well i can't agree. He played poorly last night it he still has a lot of credit in the bank.

FinBarcelonafan

iniesta not good enough? Mmm, maybe physically it is more difficult for him but not good enough, well i can't agree. He played poorly last night it he still has a lot of credit in the bank.

I thought he was one of our best players. I saw the second half though. At least he tried till the end.

Iarwain

What was that with pulling Busquets out and playing Iniesta - Rakitić in front of the last line (+Messi as a 3rd mid)? It's like LE wanted to concede more. Could understand that he wanted to spare Busquets physically since the game was effectively lost but at least put some strenght there, it's not like Barca weren't being outran anyways.

Barcilliant

It is a hangover from last season.

The players didn't have much rest and are resting on their laurels from last season.

It is still early but conceding 4 goals THREE times already this season is a MASSIVE RED FLAG.

We need a proper CB -been saying this for years. Vermaelan is injury prone and Mathieu is a bench player.

Ive defended TER Stegen but he will be warming the bench in all competitions when Bravo is back.

We need some motivation and fitness. We seem to be lacking that. Plus the balance of the side and the tactical discipline seem to be erratic.

Signing TWO players is a MUST. Sandro, Munir, Rafinha & Roberto have had enough opportunities. People here whinge on about La Masia but when the best talent from there fails to shine how can you keep playing them??

Last night this happened: Celta was us. Unstoppable Trident Nolito (Neymar), Aspas (Messi), Orellana (Suarez), precise and quick passess, agression, desire, speed, roothless efficiency.

If they had switched the kits before the game it would all look normal and usual.

I don't blame Ter Stegen much-which of those goals could he realisticly save? First, superprecise lob from Nolito? Aspas's goals are, IMO, unsaveble for any GK in the world (first one is lob 3m over goalkeeper and second entered by scratching the post-how and who in the world would save that?)... maybe only third one is debateble...

I've been saying here for years (and been attacked and mocked for numerous times) is: "our defence is our Achilli's heel. We need TOP CLASS CBs, not secondary solutions."

But at least we had TOP CLASS middlefield and attack that saved us all these years.

Now even our middlefield is pathetic: Xavi left, Iniesta is loosin' it faster then I expected, Busquets is slowly but surely loosing his thing, Rakitić is IMO not TOP CLASS, Rafinha injured (he also isn't TOP CLASS), Roberto can't be serious option in club of our rating, Samper and Halilović's abbilitys are unknown to me...

Real's middle compared to ours look terrifying: Isco, James Rodriguez, Bale, Modrić, Kroos, Jese, Kovačić...-even more scary is when you look their age (24 at average)...

We dellayed the decision to spend Big money on Big players too long and it is catching up with us now... I guess we expected to put MD Mascherano on CB position FOREVER... God help us with our defence and middle this season...

Last edited:

Galning

We haven't looked good this season, let's be honest. Yes we've won at some difficult grounds but we never performed the way this team can and should. We are back to our pre-January form of last season.

BigBarcaBoy

Can't belief poor Rafinha getting slated by some, he was excellent against Atletico the other week, you defend as a team and all over the pitch last night celta had too much time and space.

Home of Barca Fans