Lliga | Round 3: Atletico de Madrid - FC Barcelona 1-2

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He still hasn't recovered but they think he'll start training at the start of next week.

Vilarrubi

defeat in this game looks inevitable now. Hope we somehow atleast draw this game, would be happy with that..

What? lol

We don't actually know Atletico are going to approach this. They definitely look more attacking than last season which sometimes isn't bad thing for us so I think it's down to who takes their chances first in this game.

V

vigneshFCB

Sergi Roberto lacks cerebrality.

The team was OK in last match. But they can't play out of pressing so easily anymore in the last year and the players just kick the ball long. Why?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Because Atletico aren't some tactically clueless team like your random epl side. When they press, they do it relentlessly while keeping their cohesion. No team can short pass their way out of it in starting minutes of the game if Cholo orders them to go at it.

Madrid couldn't do anything against them last year in 4 matches and barely scraped 2 years ago with a lot of luck in cl final.

JamDav1982

Because Atletico aren't some tactically clueless team like your random epl side. When they press, they do it relentlessly while keeping their cohesion. No team can short pass their way out of it in starting minutes of the game if Cholo orders them to go at it.

Madrid couldn't do anything against them last year in 4 matches and barely scraped 2 years ago with a lot of luck in cl final.

Real were far better than Atletico in the two CL games last season. It really should have been a lot more than 1-0 over the two legs.

In many of the Real v Atletico games Real have missed a load of chances. It seems more of a mentality thing on front of goal more than unbelievable defending from Atletico for the most part.

The 4-0 last season was complete domination though.

V

vigneshFCB

EPL sides are not clueless, bro. You yourself know that the Premier League is a world-class league.
Whilst I agree it is impossible to pass out the ball in the starting minutes, recently Barca have simply lumped the ball away the whole game - not just in the starting minutes!

EPL sides are not clueless, bro. You yourself know that the Premier League is a world-class league.
Whilst I agree it is impossible to pass out the ball in the starting minutes, recently Barca have simply lumped the ball away the whole game - not just in the starting minutes!

He's using hyperbole but what he's saying is that Atletico are the best pressing side in the world when it comes to defensive pressing, as opposed to our offensive based pressing, and it completely disrupts a team's playing style.

Also I think we should be careful to judge Barca right now, its only 2 games in and we've yet to even play a full side. Messi isn't himself(or atleast wasn't before the arg game), Rakitic isn't himself. The only players who are playing on all cylinders right now are iniesta, verm and roberto I would say.

Dida

Need MSN at top level for this match. Sergi R. was at an acceptable level last match at full back, Rakitic is suspect. If his poor level continues, I'd move up Masche to CDM and slide over Busi to RCM. And have Mathieu & Vermaelen at the back (although I really enjoyed Masche and Thomas together).

Last edited:

Dida

And also is me or does it bother everyone else as well when we attempt to pass the ball out from the back? I know our game is to strictly keep the ball, but excuse me, when a team is playing very high pressure it's nearly impossible to pass the ball up from a goal kick as the opponent press every player and close all pockets within our final third of the pitch. Wouldn't it make sense to instead Bravo or Ter Stegen just lob the ball into space towards the other half and make MSN make runs? The opponent is playing high pressure so naturally they leave many gaps towards the half line (since most their players are in our final third pressuring).

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
And also is me or does it bother everyone else as well when we attempt to pass the ball out from the back? I know our game is to strictly keep the ball, but excuse me, when a team is playing very high pressure it's nearly impossible to pass the ball up from a goal kick as the opponent press every player and close all pockets within our final third of the pitch. Wouldn't it make sense to instead Bravo or Ter Stegen just lob the ball into space towards the other half and make MSN make runs? The opponent is playing high pressure so naturally they leave many gaps towards the half line (since most their players are in our final third pressuring).

That's a way of doing it. I think people are more against kicking the ball away just for the sake of it. Players need to stay composed and make the right decisions and what you're saying, lobbing the ball into space is a way of doing it, but just simply hoofing it away because of the pressure is wrong and stupid because we've nothing to gain for it, almost always will we lose possession again that way.

I don't know why some are losing all hope. Atletico is always a difficult game, especially away, but we're Barca FFS, we can do it even with having a couple of players out, nothing impossible, far from it. We're not Espanyol or something who'll lose hope of winning.

Last edited:

Dida

I'll call it out now, if Cholo's tactic is to high press, and we continue to attempt passing the ball out we will struggle, and also having Sergi R. at right back isn't going to help when we defend as Atletico attack a lot down the wings, I reckon he will get skinned alive by their pacey' players.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
A little good news is that at least Rakitic will be fully rested despite Croatia's 2 qualifying matches as we played on Friday and will already play tomorrow.
So full week of rest before Atletico for him.

I have no doubt that don Vincente will run Alba, Busquets and Iniesta to the ground though.

Home of Barca Fans