Lliga | Round 17: FC Barcelona - Real Betis 4-0

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
In the end not only RM but we got a penalty gift too. That was by no means a foul on Messi.
All in all a good performance. With a bit more luck we would have scored at least 6.

Neymessi

Most of the times when we play against small teams like this,breaking the deadlock is the difficult task because after that we usually end up playing like gods ending the match 4 or 5 nil.I look forward to have a good performance from the very first minute in such games and have to say before that stupid penalty we were not looking so much special.

goope

sltv_734798_481859088670124_7731272853873286429_n.jpg

Looking forward to our games against Real Club Deportivo Español on the 2nd, 6th and 13th of January.

EdmondDantes

Not a great game, Betis were acting like thugs in the first half, thankfully no one was seriously hurt, especially Messi.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Typical Pepe Mel opposition, kicking the daylights out of players and escaping punishment. Made the penalty all the more difficult to comprehend but I suppose we all were in a moment of panic when Messi got hurt, ref included - very unexpected. Apparently Messi has to get injured before a penalty is awarded to him because we all know how many he never gets called for him because he doesn't hit the ground

StarLord

Typical Pepe Mel opposition, kicking the daylights out of players and escaping punishment. Made the penalty all the more difficult to comprehend but I suppose we all were in a moment of panic when Messi got hurt, ref included - very unexpected. Apparently Messi has to get injured before a penalty is awarded to him because we all know how many he never gets called for him because he doesn't hit the ground

The main reason why Barca got that cheap penaldo, was because Real Madrid had two awarded to them earlier in the day (plus the events against Rayo in the previous round) and the ref did not want it to appear that Real Madrid are the darlings and receive special treatment.

Tactics like this are common in leagues where one team has the prerogatives. The opposition team will get some ludicrous calls in its favor from time to time (especially whence such calls won't make much of a difference) so as to obscure and provide cover for the persistent prioritizing of the ref-beloved club. In this instance, Real Madrid of course.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If that was the case, the ref should've been booking the Betis players who were battering Neymar instead of awarding a phantom penalty ala RM

StarLord

If that was the case, the ref should've been booking the Betis players who were battering Neymar instead of awarding a phantom penalty ala RM

But you did not get my point. The ref gave the single penaldo (we in all probability did not require for a win in any case) so as take away from us the argument that Real Madrid get lots of penaldos. The difference being that RM get the penaldos when they do need them (mostly) It's an effort at manipulating and obscuring the perception of reality.

Spanish refs have zero intention in making things easier for us (the exact opposite in fact) Their aim is to provide as much wind for RM's sails, but in such a way as to minimize the visibility of such systematic preferential treatment. Most of us in here have been watching La Liga for long enough to know that this is often the case. Seasons 11/12, a bit of last year and now this ongoing season have been prime examples of what I am above describing.

I clearly remember that in 11/12, Real Madrid got tons of crucial (match-winning) penaldos in the early part of the season, and by the end of it, when the gap became insurmountable, we started getting lots as well. Sure you remember that season.

Alik

But you did not get my point. The ref gave the single penaldo (we in all probability did not require for a win in any case) so as take away from us the argument that Real Madrid get lots of penaldos. The difference being that RM get the penaldos when they do need them (mostly) It's an effort at manipulating and obscuring the perception of reality.

Spanish refs have zero intention in making things easier for us (the exact opposite in fact) Their aim is to provide as much wind for RM's sails, but in such a way as to minimize the visibility of such systematic preferential treatment. Most of us in here have been watching La Liga for long enough to know that this is often the case. Seasons 11/12, a bit of last year and now this ongoing season have been prime examples of what I am above describing.

I clearly remember that in 11/12, Real Madrid got tons of crucial (match-winning) penaldos in the early part of the season, and by the end of it, when the gap became insurmountable, we started getting lots as well. Sure you remember that season.

In that case they wouldn't have given us the penalty when it was 0-0 (it was beneficial to us at that point). Actually, up until that point we were playing quite poorly. If they had given us the penalty when it was 3-0, then what you said would make more sense.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
In that case they wouldn't have given us the penalty when it was 0-0 (it was beneficial to us at that point). Actually, up until that point we were playing quite poorly. If they had given us the penalty when it was 3-0, then what you said would make more sense.

Exactly. Even Adnan afterwards pointed out that even Barcelona couldn't have comprehended the refereeing on the night. But this is Spain and inexplicable is the norm

Ubermensch

Nailed it on the head.

That 11-12 season was the most dodgy one you could see in recent years. When RM under Mourinho couldn't break a team, those corrupted referees just came to rescue to look for every chance to award a penalty for them. The most outrageous one was that Pepe brought down his opponent in the area while attacking a corner and the referee immediately blew his whistle and pointed to the penalty spot. That's truly beyond ridiculous. I couldn't remember clearly the team (Elche?) they played against. Hope someone could post a link.

Now it's 2 matches in a row RM were awarded 3 ridiculous match-changing penalties, not to mention some absurd red cards their opponents (Malaga, Celta, Rayo) received in the previous matches. Mind you everyone who said this is our season to lose, it's more and more clear it's 11/12 season all over again.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans