Lliga: Rayo Vallecano - FC Barcelona 0-2

F

Flavia

This is absolutely not true. Even with Iniesta having a bad form and no Messi drifting to his flank, Alba is showing much more output in offense than Dani.
Alves has more players in his zone to combine with but he did not have any outstanding game so far bar the Granada game where everyone was good.

Alba is our best defender so far (together with Mathieu) and was only bad in the PSG game.
For me there is not any reason to rate Alves higher than Alba at the moment.

I had Alba as motm vs Malaga, but I would still bench him for the big games. The team is more balanced, and he just doesn't deliver as Dani can, even with all his crosses.

F

Flavia

In which way is Dani delivering right now?

He already has 2 assists. And he links well with Messi. Right now, the right side needs him. Maybe when Suarez is playing, his output can be missed. But Alba is not exactly tearing in up in the left side. Adriano linked better with Neymar whenever he played.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I had Alba as motm vs Malaga, but I would still bench him for the big games. The team is more balanced, and he just doesn't deliver as Dani can, even with all his crosses.

If you mean final ball 'delivering' then Dani can't do crap either, but I don't count Alves' crosses as part of his positive attacking output which *is* crucial for us right now.

Linkup, transition, the presence of an extra midfielder, etc. His crossing is disruptive but he does offer something we need and the opportunity cost of benching Alves for Douglas/Montoya right now is not favorable at all.

F

Flavia

If you mean final ball 'delivering' then Dani can't do crap either, but I don't count Alves' crosses as part of his positive attacking output which *is* crucial for us right now.
No, I meant his contributions despite his crosses.

Ursegor

World Champion

"Right now" doesn't matter tbh. "Right now" Iniesta isn't delivering. Alves is generally a superior player to Alba and a proven big game players which is all that matters. When did Alba ever showcase dominance like Alves on his flank? Even declined Alves dominated the entire flank on his own vs. City last season. Alba is yet to have a single dominant game like that in his entire career. Which he probably never will as he remains an average tread of the mill overlapping speed merchant with the physique of a child. The most he can do to impress is make one Usain Bolt 50 yard sprint and if he's lucky score a goal in the process and that's about his entire skillset. Smh, people rating freaking Alba. :shakeshead: I don't care what he does in La Liga where 8 opponents park the bus in their own box, send imprecise long balls to their 2 forwards and Alba easily sweeps it up with his speed.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Yeah Alves plays high up the pitch and offers presence. Wow. Every fullback in possession based side should do that.
Dani is no longer the best fb in the world who works on the entire right side and has endless stamina. Montoya can absolutely provide the same and be more aware in defense (Not a fact of course. I personally think he could if he gets playing time).
If he is the reason a top 3 lb in the world is benched, then we are doing something wrong.

And his great link up plays with Leo are no longer present in our game. It does not really happen anymore.

I do not know why everyone is obsessed with "the Abidal model". We had a different approach back then, with different players or players that may be still here but were capable of much more (prime Xavi). Having a CB playing one of the fullbacks positions is not the only possibility to bring balance to a side.

This discussion should rather be in the tactics thread tough.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Lucho picked Mascherano, Alba and Rakitic as scapegoats for PSG loss.
Glad for Bartra starting.

F

Flavia

Yeah Alves plays high up the pitch and offers presence. Wow. Every fullback in possession based side should do that.
Dani is no longer the best fb in the world who works on the entire right side and has endless stamina. Montoya can absolutely provide the same and be more aware in defense (Not a fact of course. I personally think he could if he gets playing time).
If he is the reason a top 3 lb in the world is benched, then we are doing something wrong.

And his great link up plays with Leo are no longer present in our game. It does not really happen anymore.

I do not know why everyone is obsessed with "the Abidal model". We had a different approach back then, with different players or players that may be still here but were capable of much more (prime Xavi). Having a CB playing one of the fullbacks positions is not the only possibility to bring balance to a side.

This discussion should rather be in the tactics thread tough.

Montoya can't provide the same as Alves. If you think that, it's pointless to have a discussion, tbh. Alves has linked well with Messi this season, several times. Includingthe assist for his 400th goal. He still offers a lot. And has done more than alba, as well.

zanela

"Right now" doesn't matter tbh. "Right now" Iniesta isn't delivering. Alves is generally a superior player to Alba and a proven big game players which is all that matters. When did Alba ever showcase dominance like Alves on his flank? Even declined Alves dominated the entire flank on his own vs. City last season. Alba is yet to have a single dominant game like that in his entire career. Which he probably never will as he remains an average tread of the mill overlapping speed merchant with the physique of a child. The most he can do to impress is make one Usain Bolt 50 yard sprint and if he's lucky score a goal in the process and that's about his entire skillset. Smh, people rating freaking Alba. :shakeshead: I don't care what he does in La Liga where 8 opponents park the bus in their own box, send imprecise long balls to their 2 forwards and Alba easily sweeps it up with his speed.

^ My impression of Alba since his VAL days. And it hasn't changed. That some posters try to put him on par with Alves is hilarious. A prime Alves was such a skillful proposition on the right side, it's hard to find an equivalent in recent years. Strip Alba off his pace, and I fail to see what he offers.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Montoya can't provide the same as Alves. If you think that, it's pointless to have a discussion, tbh. Alves has linked well with Messi this season, several times. Includingthe assist for his 400th goal. He still offers a lot. And has done more than alba, as well.

That was just a small point of my post. And I said that it is not sure. I am not even sure about it myself.
That is not the point tough. It is about Alves and Alba.

And the 400th goal was good as I said. But that was against an already beaten Granada side.
Discussing this seems pointless. As there is mention of what Alves HAS DONE in every post. It is not about prime Dani who was truly one of a kind. But today Alves is never ever superior to Alba.

Edit: I am not saying Dani is bad or something btw. I am just comparing the two and talking about the games when we play the real opponents.
I am glad Alves is still in our squad and my ideal line-up would include Alves AND Alba. They should learn how to stay in defense when it is necessary tough.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

That was just a small point of my post. And I said that it is not sure. I am not even sure about it myself.
That is not the point tough. It is about Alves and Alba.

And the 400th goal was good as I said. But that was against an already beaten Granada side.
Discussing this seems pointless. As there is mention of what Alves HAS DONE in every post. It is not about prime Dani who was truly one of a kind. But today Alves is never ever superior to Alba.

Edit: I am not saying Dani is bad or something btw. I am just comparing the two and talking about the games when we play the real opponents.
I am glad Alves is still in our squad and my ideal line-up would include Alves AND Alba. They should learn how to stay in defense when it is necessary tough.
Today alves is superior to alba.
They both are bad defensively, alves superior going forward. Alba subs are also better than Montoya and Douglas. And I really hope alves and alba will never again start together in big games. It's like asking to lose.

Hellsangel

Rayo high defensive line and incohesive pressing is killing them. Slightly surprised we are only up 2-0 so far. It's so easy to put the ball over the top and let the superior pace of our forwards do the rest. Couldn't help thinking Barça of 4 years ago would be leading by 5-0 by now.

Home of Barca Fans