Lliga: FC Barcelona - Elche 3-0

KhaledBarca

My lineup would be:

Bravo
Alves Bartra Mathieu Alba
Rakitic Busquets Iniesta
Pedro Messi Neymar

Rafinha, Masche and Xavi On in the 2nd half.

Bench: Masip, Montoya, Masche, Xavi, Roberto, Rafinha, Munir.

*injured: ter Stegan, Vermaelen, Adriano.
*suspended: Suarez (until 24 October), Pique (1 Liga game, 5 yellow cards last season).
*I expect Song to leave soon.

Zangash

Banned
There's no way Pedro starts. He isn't even training right now because he's got some kind of stomach illness.

If Mascherano somehow starts over Bartra he should just say fuck this team and put in a transfer request imo, even though I know he won't. We've got 4 CBs and two aren't able to play and to somehow still find himself on the bench would just be too much. Mascherano needs to find his own place in the team, and it's not like he's ever been particularly good at CB anyways.

Richard.H

There's no way Pedro starts. He isn't even training right now because he's got some kind of stomach illness.

If Mascherano somehow starts over Bartra he should just say fuck this team and put in a transfer request imo, even though I know he won't. We've got 4 CBs and two aren't able to play and to somehow still find himself on the bench would just be too much. Mascherano needs to find his own place in the team, and it's not like he's ever been particularly good at CB anyways.

Well you have to understand that Mascherano is a top class veteran and he's coming off of an excellent world cup. If he benches Masch then there's a very high chance he would be pissed too.

Pedro I definitely agree with. He has been in horrible form. I'm fully expecting Rafinha to play ahead of him.

Here's my lineup prediction:

---------Bravo---------
Alves---Masch---Mathieu---Alba
----------Busi-----------------
------Rakitic------Iniesta---------
Rafinha----Messi--------Neymar

Last edited:

Zangash

Banned
Well you have to understand that Mascherano is a top class veteran and he's coming off of an excellent world cup. If he benches Masch then there's a very high chance he would be pissed too.
Using that kind of logic we should buy Cuadrado or Reus and just use them as a RB for the sake of getting them in the XI.

If you look at preseason he wasn't good at CB and that's what should matter, as he didn't play CB during the world cup. If we had been playing a decent side him colliding with Mathieu could have put is in major trouble. If his world cup form must be what we play him based on we should sit Busquets on the bench or play with a 3 man back line to accommodate Mascherano. Benching our best defensive prospect since Puyol in favor of a 30 year old CDM who doesn't even play CB is taking steps backwards. And if we absolutely must kill our intelligence and bench a CB in favor of a CDM purely because he played well at CDM during the world cup the one who should be benched is Mathieu, not Bartra.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Mascherano played as CB during the Gamper was because Lucho wanted to get all of the players from the knockout rounds of the world cup some preseason action and that was literally the last game of preseason. It was always expected that Mascherano would become a squad player when we ended up increasing our (REAL) CB tally to 4 and telling him he'd be used in the midfield (Obviously behind Busquets).

If Mascherano gets pissed and wants to leave he can fuck right off. He's 30 and isn't good enough to play CB for us and isn't good enough to ever dream of displacing Busquets. If Bartra gets pissed and wants to leave we'll find ourselves in desperate search of more CBs in 2-3 years.

Cule4life

The Culest
Using that kind of logic we should buy Cuadrado or Reus and just use them as a RB for the sake of getting them in the XI.

If you look at preseason he wasn't good at CB and that's what should matter, as he didn't play CB during the world cup. If we had been playing a decent side him colliding with Mathieu could have put is in major trouble. If his world cup form must be what we play him based on we should sit Busquets on the bench or play with a 3 man back line to accommodate Mascherano. Benching our best defensive prospect since Puyol in favor of a 30 year old CDM who doesn't even play CB is taking steps backwards. And if we absolutely must kill our intelligence and bench a CB in favor of a CDM purely because he played well at CDM during the world cup the one who should be benched is Mathieu, not Bartra.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Mascherano played as CB during the Gamper was because Lucho wanted to get all of the players from the knockout rounds of the world cup some preseason action and that was literally the last game of preseason. It was always expected that Mascherano would become a squad player when we ended up increasing our (REAL) CB tally to 4 and telling him he'd be used in the midfield (Obviously behind Busquets).

If Mascherano gets pissed and wants to leave he can fuck right off. He's 30 and isn't good enough to play CB for us and isn't good enough to ever dream of displacing Busquets. If Bartra gets pissed and wants to leave we'll find ourselves in desperate search of more CBs in 2-3 years.
+1 finally some sense in here. We only had 3 years of Masch playing at CB to finally realize he should never play there anymore

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
^ You mean like when we missed him vs La Real?

Busi was not at his best last season, most players weren't. Saying he didn't contribute is just bad and without any logic whatsoever.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Just realized if we don't win liga or CL this season we will have just one liga in four years and no CL. So much for the mighty barca. We have to win this year. Preferably both CL and Liga but at least one of them.

I will start with this lineup

Bravo
Rakitic Busi Iniesta
Rafinha Messi Neymar

Last edited:

ebc_99

Just realized if we don't win liga or CL this season we will have just one liga in four years and no CL. So much for the mighty barca. We have to win this year. Preferably both CL and Liga but at least one of them.

I will start this lineup

Bravo
Rakitic Busi Iniesta
Rafinha Messi Neymar

And if we do win it, it will be our 5th in 7 seasons. We will win it, even as bad as we were last year we still finished ahead of Madrid in La Liga, and will do so again this year.

Richard.H

The league should be the priority. Then comes the CL. Cup competition is way too unpredictable and luck based to really make it a priority.

PhilS

All managers start Masch, Lucho will not be the exception. Masch makes huge contributions every game, which way outweighs his limitations as a CB.

If Lucho had 2 Mascheranos, both would start because any manager would start his best 11.

Zangash

Banned
All managers start Masch, Lucho will not be the exception. Masch makes huge contributions every game, which way outweighs his limitations as a CB.

If Lucho had 2 Mascheranos, both would start because any manager would start his best 11.

Mascherano playing CB is one of the largest reasons why everyone has been so desperate to get new CBs. He sucks at CB. If we played two of him as CB we'd lose every game we played because he doesn't have a single CB instinct in his entire body despite having played there for years. Piss poor in the air, absolutely zero positional awareness, reckless timing on his tackles (He's good doing it in midfield but when he's the last man he doesn't modify his behaviors), poor judgement of the ball, lack of marking ability, etc. Literally everything you'd want from a CB, he does not have. If his position was actually a CB and he was playing for Man City we'd all laugh at the thought of him ever playing for a club like Barcelona.

Home of Barca Fans