Lliga: FC Barcelona - Elche 3-0

Djab

Get over the cat.

It was a real joyful game to watch. Happy to see boys keeping up their game.

XaviMessiGirl

A lot of black cats live there, it wasn't the 1st time one decided to take part of a game :)

It looked like exactly the same cat as the one a couple seasons ago too. :p Never heard what happened to that one either. The one that came onto the pitch at Anfield some time ago got taken to a shelter and adopted, hopefully same thing happen(ed) in these cases too.

sailor

A walk in the park !
[video]https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/401DD188CA1115422579570753536_20a88513560.5.1.5922 820353177771622.mp4?versionId=Bd8ZIFnt4Gsn8FYlZp33 jTzOUwF0yL3L[/video]

barcanuck

Review of Lucho's first game :

1. Lucho :
- Lineup showed alot of balls with Munir and Rafinha starting up front with Leo.
- Masch as CB was a bit of a downer but it was understanable since Pique and Vermalen were out and Bartra doesn't have the experience to lead Mathieu yet.
- Xavi benched for the whole match as well is also a sign of the change Lucho has done, no longer does Xavi have a free ride on the field spraying side passes.
- Rocketic is the new mid rock we have been waiting for and I'm not sure if Lucho has the authority to allow Raki to take free kicks from the sides and corners but he was the one taking them instead of Messi.
- The coaching pedigree test came fast and furious after Masch got red carded. Lucho had to make a decision take our Munir or Rafinha and wow did he ever get rewarded by Munir for keeping him in over his Celta fave Rafinha. The timing of the Munir goal ended the fight back from Elche and solved the game. Most coaches would of stuck with the familiar, the fact he kept Munir in showed his reward for the top pre season scorer! This was the most impressive move in my books!

2. Newcomers:
- Ivan bossed the middle over 100 passes and an amazing assist to Munir to put the game to bed. Crossed in a dangerous free kick which Dani missed, was strong on the ball and didn't concede possession like our old #4 used to in a lazy manner.
- Mathieu was a cyborg out there, chasing people faster than any smoker I've seen and his passing was 99% perfect.
- Munir's legacy is just beggining but it's truly amazing how ready this kid is. Smashes the crossbar with a left footed strike early and then kills the game with a deft left footed dink.
- Rafinha for me was average he had one chance in the box Messi set up for him but failed to shoot instead tried to dribble into the defense.
- Bravo was decent despite not facing a single shot on goal, his passing was alot more assured than what Pinto used to do which was boot it out of play.

Hephaestus

- Munir's legacy is just beggining but it's truly amazing how ready this kid is. Smashes the crossbar with a left footed strike early and then kills the game with a deft left footed dink.

Amazingly those were his only shots. That is what I call effectivity. Two shots; one for the crossbar, one for the back of the net. Also he did not lose possession as often as I would have feared. He looked much more ready than I have yet to see Deulofeu be. His first touches were good, his passes were good and his defensive work, especially tracking back opponents after losing possession, was far more impressive than I would have expected. Considering his age and his experience I would give him 8 stars out of a possible 6 hats, for his flabbergasting La Liga debut.

SeloBarca

Was a bit boring at first to be honest, didnt create much. But Messi looked really good today.

A bit worrying though that while Messi and Munir was great forward, Rafinha and Pedro didnt do much. Rafinha was completly invisible.

Could we play liek this until Suarez gets back?
Neymar - Munir
------Messi

Hephaestus

I would not worry too much about Rafinha's performance. I think he will do a lot more, when used in a central position in the middle of the field. Clearly he lacked space on the right wing and did not look completely comfortable with playing this position, though he has played it successfully with Celta Vigo, but there he, obviously, had a lot more space to work with. I think Rafinha will do much better as a central midfielder.

- The coaching pedigree test came fast and furious after Masch got red carded. Lucho had to make a decision take our Munir or Rafinha and wow did he ever get rewarded by Munir for keeping him in over his Celta fave Rafinha. The timing of the Munir goal ended the fight back from Elche and solved the game. Most coaches would of stuck with the familiar, the fact he kept Munir in showed his reward for the top pre season scorer! This was the most impressive move in my books!

Tbh, taking out Rafinha instead of Munir was common sense. Munir was having a way better game plus he's an actual forward while Rafinha's a midfielder.

M

MesQueUnBlert

People being a bit harsh on Rafinha here - guarantee if he played the 2nd half he would have grown into the game more.

Sunny Mir

Another thing was that the fullbacks were cutting inside like wingers more than before.Mixing it up pretty well.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

If you guys had followed Lucho's Celta at all then you'd know for a fact that he's not even slightly averse to giving chances to young defenders. 1 league match lineup for Barca means nothing, quit this pattern of having to rationalize every possible managerial decision with finality and then losing your shit when it isn't exactly what you wanted.

:lol: +1

So far so good. Don't know what it was, but Lucho seems to have lit a fire under Messi's ass. I doubt today's result would have been the same without that added intensity. Whatever else he's doing, that is by far his most important coaching accomplishment so far.

And get ready for more of the same. Elche's only the first of many that will sit back, and every siege is going to be tough to break down. Of course, the worrisome teams are the ones who sit back *and* can counter effectively. Elche was pretty much playing for a draw from the outset.

Home of Barca Fans