Lliga: Barca - Villarreal 3-2

Icarium

Lifestealer
Yeah iniesta was good today, I don't understand the criticism for todays match. Cut him some slack.

beogatts

So we beat the league champions 3 times in a row, and then beat a team that hasn't lost in nearly 3 months. What do our "competitors" do lately? Madrid looks horrible nearly every game this month. Chelsea (lol) look terrible throughout the month and topped it off with a home loss to Bradford City 2-4. And Bayern make their long awaited return to get stomped 4-1. And Atletico obviously lost 3 games to us in a row.

What conclusions do we draw from this?... Only on here, :lol:

Anyways, Iniesta I don't think got nearly enough credit for how good he was today. It seems to be becoming the cheap criticism lately to just say "we have no midfield." Well Iniesta and Rafinha were two of our best players today, so I really don't see where that's coming from today in particular.

Alba was the only big disappointment of the day. Terrible game from him. Suarez had a bad game too, but I no longer have any expectations of him so it's hard to consider him disappointing anymore.

We shut down their counterattacks well, they were extremely fortunate to be gifted the two goals they were. We created far more chances and deserved a better scoreline. But 3 points either way so it's hard to complain.

iniesta has re-gained confident since atletico's gamez. rafinha, his best game of the season. suarez, lets give him more time like liverpool did.
yeap, saw all their efforts for the win.

rixxer

It's like kind of tautological automatism that we don't have a midfield. I think we controlled the midfield against Villareal, but the first lucky goal for visitors (they did not get a chance before that) destroyed a rhytm a bit and as Lucho said after the game, after the goals team looked a bit too anxious and rushed a lot of plays which also created space for the opposing team to use one-twos in the midfield to break from wings. they did it quite superbly, have to give them that but I think rafinha and Iiesta were quite good today and midfield was not that big problem as some of us try to claim. The biigest problem was Albas crosses- he really got into very good positions but his crosses just hit the barn door and counters were dangerous after that- all players were high on the pitch.
It's obvious also that Atleti game was still in legs and minds of barca players- Neymar, apart from the goal, was actually ineffective and Iniesta wasn't that agressive as we have seen recently. Also, Alves was mediocre in defence and Pique had to double himup, leaving space behind him. Mascherano was solid, but not superb and some of his clearences were too indecisive. All in all, good to get a win, but there were several frustrating elements in Barca's play. Rafinha proved himself and I wouldn't be so harsh on Suarez, he actually got us out of trouble, although if he hadn't miss that sitter, it might have been easier after all.
It was tricky game, have to admit, glad to pull three points from possible banana skin. I would not make any assumptions for the CDR, Villareal does not have very deep squad and they really have to rotate, also over two legs it would be another story. Liga for us is difficult, becaue there is no margin of error anymore and we are still fighting in three fronts and opposing teams are getting more and more stronger. And madrid is just getting their results as well.
Incredible that ref did not give us stonewall penalty....and red card for the goalie. Another day in office for lol liga's referees, it seems.

Gnidrologist

That wasn't really a penalty. Neymar was falling like half a meter before he even had contact with goalkeeper and the later wasn't obstructing his run anyway. I agree that Iniesta was fine given his current given role and as for Suarez, he sure is jinxed for goals, but he made yet another couple of assists, which no one here noticed apparently.

rixxer

That wasn't really a penalty. Neymar was falling like half a meter before he even had contact with goalkeeper and the later wasn't obstructing his run anyway. I agree that Iniesta was fine given his current given role and as for Suarez, he sure is jinxed for goals, but he made yet another couple of assists, which no one here noticed apparently.

He may have slipped, but the goalie clearly made a contact with him and did not touch the ball. How on earth can be claimed that he wasn't obstructing his run- he cut him down very clearly without reaching ball and rushing out.

ATLBarcaFan

Not a great performance, but a game we could have lost and didn't. Just happy to walk away with the 3 points and move on. It is going to be a tough cup tie against these guys, but I like Barca's chances over two legs.

Gnidrologist

He may have slipped, but the goalie clearly made a contact with him and did not touch the ball. How on earth can be claimed that he wasn't obstructing his run- he cut him down very clearly without reaching ball and rushing out.
What did he have to do to avoid penalty? Teleport away? He run straight out to narrow the angle and Neymar barged into him. He didn't cross his run or even put the foot out. It's as clean as possible. Look, i'm Barca fan as all of you, but try to be objective too, mkay.

L

linetty

Villarreal have been good but lets not get ahead of ourselves, ok? Their first goal had to be the luckiest of the season and the second was just a slip that doesn't happen too often. On the other had, we've had tons of chacnes to score, their almighty defense is not that good after all.

If not for Suarez' ineptness in front of goal and the uncalled penalty it could've been a trashing.

anguy

What did he have to do to avoid penalty? Teleport away? He run straight out to narrow the angle and Neymar barged into him. He didn't cross his run or even put the foot out. It's as clean as possible. Look, i'm Barca fan as all of you, but try to be objective too, mkay.

That's irrelevant. Such contact in the box by GK is always a penalty. Had GK hit the ball, it might be different, but he did not.

BerkeleyBernie

That's irrelevant. Such contact in the box by GK is always a penalty. Had GK hit the ball, it might be different, but he did not.

Frankly, I don't know enough about the nuances/discretion allowed by FIFA Rules of the Game to judge. Any actual refs in the forum who can clarify? I basically think the ref didn't have enough information to make a definitive call, given that he saw Neymar already falling, and couldn't be clear when/if contact was made by the keeper (since the keeper was on the opposite side of Neymar from the ref).

beogatts

watched & repeated the highlights of neymar's fall.. for me neymar didnt want to injure himself so he was ready to jump (attempting to get penalty) instead of letting his leg be injured by the GK. the GK Did make a contact b4 neymar fell down, it shouldve counted as a PK but refs werent fast enuf to think n they let it go.
neymar deserved a PK if u repeat the highlights. he looked up at the ball n the GK hit his leg without touching the ball.

rixxer

You either have never refereed a football match or played as a goalkeeper. Sorry, but if gk makes that call to rush towards the striker and do not touch the ball and then takes out the legs of attacker, it is 100 % penalty. Defender touched him and he may have dithered, but it is impossible to say if he was falling down even when watching the replay. So, it is penalty, no doubt, only reservation might be the colour of the card.

barcanuck

Even ray Hudson during while the play was happening was saying penalty then was in disbelief it wasn't called.

Home of Barca Fans