Liverpool

XaviMessiGirl

Jose Mourinho labelled Jamie Carragher 'a real artist' as he paid tribute to the Bootle native's 17 years of dedication to the Liverpool cause.

The defender brought the curtains down on his remarkable Anfield career following a poignant final game against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.

And in an exclusive interview for LFC TV's new 'Carragher' documentary, which airs for the first time on Friday night, Mourinho spoke of his admiration for the 35-year-old's approach to the game.

"Normally, the world of football cries when what they call 'the artists' finish their career," said the former Chelsea boss. "But people don't really know what an artist is.

"For me, the artist is a guy who gives everything to his manager, to his club, to his fellow players on the pitch. And I think Jamie represents all of this.

"[These players] for me are the real artists, so when one of them finishes their career, I'm always a bit sad."

Mourinho was in charge at Stamford Bridge between 2004 and 2007, during which time Rafael Benitez's Liverpool were the sworn enemy - particularly in cup competitions.

The Reds came out on top in two Champions League semi-finals, in 2005 and 2007, and beat the Blues in an FA Cup semi in 2006.

"I never worked with Jamie but I played against him a dozen times and I understand what he means," continued Mourinho.

"He is an artist who gave everything to his Liverpool shirt, to the fans, to every manager he ever worked with and to the players.

"But [his decision to retire] is one that he has made for the good of his family and to enjoy a different kind of life.

"He leaves on a high by showing everybody that he can keep going. I wish him and his family well."

:mou:

SEvolution

Jose Mourinho labelled Jamie Carragher 'a real artist' as he paid tribute to the Bootle native's 17 years of dedication to the Liverpool cause.

The defender brought the curtains down on his remarkable Anfield career following a poignant final game against Queens Park Rangers on Sunday.

And in an exclusive interview for LFC TV's new 'Carragher' documentary, which airs for the first time on Friday night, Mourinho spoke of his admiration for the 35-year-old's approach to the game.

"Normally, the world of football cries when what they call 'the artists' finish their career," said the former Chelsea boss. "But people don't really know what an artist is.

"For me, the artist is a guy who gives everything to his manager, to his club, to his fellow players on the pitch. And I think Jamie represents all of this.

"[These players] for me are the real artists, so when one of them finishes their career, I'm always a bit sad."

Mourinho was in charge at Stamford Bridge between 2004 and 2007, during which time Rafael Benitez's Liverpool were the sworn enemy - particularly in cup competitions.

The Reds came out on top in two Champions League semi-finals, in 2005 and 2007, and beat the Blues in an FA Cup semi in 2006.

"I never worked with Jamie but I played against him a dozen times and I understand what he means," continued Mourinho.

"He is an artist who gave everything to his Liverpool shirt, to the fans, to every manager he ever worked with and to the players.

"But [his decision to retire] is one that he has made for the good of his family and to enjoy a different kind of life.

"He leaves on a high by showing everybody that he can keep going. I wish him and his family well."

:mou:

So, Casillas comes in Moulogy's 'Real Artist' category?

ammarfcb

ze special one
only time i ever cryed at a game and my cousin trolling at halftime didnt excatly help.

i imagine azzido is monitoring this thread with abit of butthurt today

Alik

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are leading the race to sign Porto winger Christian Atsu.

Sky Sports revealed earlier this week an unnamed Premier League club had tabled a bid for Atsu and it is understood that Liverpool are the team in question.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8734591/

Interesting... does anyone know anything about him?

Standard Porto material, I think it would be a good signing. Am surprised Porto are letting him go considering they've offloaded half their team.

ammarfcb

ze special one
Sky Sports understands Liverpool are leading the race to sign Porto winger Christian Atsu.

Sky Sports revealed earlier this week an unnamed Premier League club had tabled a bid for Atsu and it is understood that Liverpool are the team in question.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8734591/

Interesting... does anyone know anything about him?

from the youtube vid he looks like dribbling mix sturridge-cuteinho and likes to cut in and supply the short cross...but then again it's just a utube video.

official: Liverpool Football Club can today announce they have agreed a deal in principal with Kolo Toure to join the club on July 1

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/reds-agree-toure-deal

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Toure is a decent deal. Full of experience can play in 2 or 3 positions and is a good choice for 3rd/4th choice centre back.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
We've agreed a deal with Celta Vigo for Aspas! A great signing!

Liverpool have agreed a fee of 9million euros (£7.7million) with Celta Vigo for the transfer of forward Iago Aspas.

The 25-year-old Spaniard has scored 12 goals in 33 appearances in La Liga this season.The ECHO revealed last weekend that the Reds had opened talks about a move to Anfield and the negotiations have reached a swift conclusion.

Aspas will remain with relegation-threatened Celta for their crunch final game of the campaign at home to Espanyol on Saturday.

They must win in order to have any chance of staying up. He is then expected to fly to Merseyside next week to discuss personal terms and under a medical.

Aspas had a buyout clause of 10 million euros (£8.5million) which would have dropped to 7million euros if Celta went down.

However, with the likes of Valencia and Swansea City also chasing him, Liverpool moved quickly to secure his services. Equally at home leading the line, playing as a second striker or in a wider role, his versatility makes him a good fit for Brendan Rodgers' system.

The manager had wanted a fourth striking option to complement Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Fabio Borini and improve the depth of his squad.

Livepool have had the 5ft 9ins frontman, who is a product of Celta Vigo’s Academy, watched frequently this season and the reports have been glowing.

He netted a career-best 29 goals to help Celta win promotion back to Spain's top flight in 2011/12.This season he has been the star performer in a struggling side with six assists to go with his 12 league goals.

Blessed with good pace and fiercely committed, he is also a clinical finisher.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/630pm-update-liverpool-fc-agree-4028633

XaviMessiGirl

Sounds like a good signing, will be exciting to see how he does. I guess that means the Sansone rumor I posted yesterday is likely false, I can't see going for another forward. Unless Suarez is leaving.

Edit: I guess he might be, I'm reading a bunch of quotes from him now.

Home of Barca Fans