Liverpool

Morten

Genius tactically, had a Feyenoord team with nobodies in individual quality play like a Pep's team
the exact opposite of Xavi, who has a team full of individual quality play like shit

Now, what I don't know, is his locker-room style. I am reading that he has charisma and aura, which is the big part ETH is lacking

Looks like another top snatch by Edwards

PS: Watch the clowns in here in some time from now, after he succeeds at Liverpool, trying to say "yeah we all thought he was a good coach when at Feyenoord" etc,
when in reality they are trashing him, and didn't want to hear about him as Barca coach

And if he fails, we can expect every excuse under the sun, as you are currently doing with Poch and ETH, probably.

Temptation

And if he fails, we can expect every excuse under the sun, as you are currently doing with Poch and ETH, probably.
Poch needs no excuses.

Look at the team he took over.

Look at how well they play and the number of chances they create. Barring the recent Arsenal game, they have been elite against every big team.

If Osimhen was a Chelsea player this season, they'd be 6th.

Morten

Poch needs no excuses.

Look at the team he took over.

Look at how well they play and the number of chances they create. Barring the recent Arsenal game, they have been elite against every big team.

If Osimhen was a Chelsea player this season, they'd be 6th.

Yeah, i looked a bit at their last game, alright.

Biggest defeat to Arsenal, in what, EPL-era?

Temptation

:lol: Let's see his CV then. Because I can't find that info. other than he had stints at Portsmouth and Spurs as an analyst?

Clearly, your bf / father isn't as well known as you'd like to make him out to be :lol:
What are you waffling on about?

His tenure at Liverpool speaks for itself.

Madrid were strongly interested in Edwards around 2021. @Morten

Morten

"GOAT"-CEO? I think not.

Despite my issues with Perez, he is a step above most, not looking forward to the day he calls it quits.

Birdy

None of them have failed yet
They are in the start of their projects. UTD is more of a mess to call it a project, but they might correct it now with a new structure

They have 'failed' only in the minds of people who simply don't understand football
Yes, the same people who say 'Xavi should get another year' after totally failing in his project, and perpetually stagnating the development of the team

Birdy

"GOAT"-CEO? I think not.

Despite my issues with Perez, he is a step above most, not looking forward to the day he calls it quits.

Perez is not a CEO or so.
He acts like one, and he takes all the decisions a CEO should take.
That doesn't make him a professional for that role

And that is a sign of backwardness.
Since a long time, there is division of labor and of skillset.
You can't act like an SD or CEO if you don't have the required skills.
That happens in the top level since at least 10-15 years.

But as low in development as you look at (look at countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey, Greece, etc) you will see the owner of a club being the president of the club, the CEO of the club, the SD of the club, and so on. If they could be the coach of the team as well, they would do it!

Perez acts in the same mould. He doesn't have the skillset to be an SD for instance, yet he acts like one by deciding the transfer targets

Morten

None of them have failed yet
They are in the start of their projects. UTD is more of a mess to call it a project, but they might correct it now with a new structure

They have 'failed' only in the minds of people who simply don't understand football
Yes, the same people who say 'Xavi should get another year' after totally failing in his project, and perpetually stagnating the development of the team

ETH has been there for nearly two seasons, and they are about the same place when he took over.

Not like he hasn't been backed either, he even got some of his transfer wishes, does the name Antony ring a bell?

One of the worst wingers ever, ETH wanted him, for about 90 millions.

Perhaps he isn't flawless after all?

Birdy

ETH has been there for nearly two seasons, and they are about the same place when he took over.

Not like he hasn't been backed either, he even got some of his transfer wishes, does the name Antony ring a bell?

One of the worst wingers ever, ETH wanted him, for about 90 millions.

Perhaps he isn't flawless after all?

Yes, as I have said many times, he is not a good SD, he is a good coach
He should have never let pick the players, like Xavi should have never let do the same at Barca

The role of SD in a club is very important to be left to people who think they know, but they don't

Porque

Perez is not a CEO or so.
He acts like one, and he takes all the decisions a CEO should take.
That doesn't make him a professional for that role

And that is a sign of backwardness.
Since a long time, there is division of labor and of skillset.
You can't act like an SD or CEO if you don't have the required skills.
That happens in the top level since at least 10-15 years.

But as low in development as you look at (look at countries like Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Turkey, Greece, etc) you will see the owner of a club being the president of the club, the CEO of the club, the SD of the club, and so on. If they could be the coach of the team as well, they would do it!

Perez acts in the same mould. He doesn't have the skillset to be an SD for instance, yet he acts like one by deciding the transfer targets

I get what you are saying. But there is a fallacy in the arguement.

Perez is extremely successful as a businessman, and has pivoted this success to football. With 16 years as the key decision maker in Madrid he has more than enough experience that makes him superior for Madrid than having a SD like Edwards for example. He is very involved in Madrid, and this involvement benefits them.

Obviously you can't give Perez a SD job at Liverpool because for one it is beneath him, and for two his value as Madrid President supercedes giving more power to a SD. And even then, the old man is at the forefront of data, analytics and innovations with Madrid (except ahem, perhaps, womens equality with the implementation of womens football lol).

So yeah, different systems, different necessities. Just because Perez is not classicly or academically trained in a certain area doesn't make the macrocosm with his experience any less than the model of British clubs.

This is Perez track record at Madrid and we are arguing his model is archaic just because a few Romanian crackers and Turkish Shawarmas abuse the Presidency role.

Real Madrid
  • La Liga: 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12, 2016–17, 2019–20, 2021–22
  • Liga ACB: 2004–05, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2021–22
  • Copa del Rey: 2010–11, 2013–14, 2022–23
  • Copa del Rey de Baloncesto: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2024
  • Supercopa de España: 2001, 2003, 2012, 2017, 2019–20, 2021–22, 2023–24
  • Supercopa de España de Baloncesto: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
  • UEFA Champions League: 2001–02, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2021–22
  • EuroLeague: 2014–15, 2017–18, 2022–23
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2002, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2022
  • Intercontinental Cup: 2002
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022
  • FIBA Intercontinental Cup: 2015
Liverpool
  • Took a quick corner.
  • Struggle to walk in solitude.

FUCK, I can't believe I just wrote a few paragraphs defending Don Flo Flo.

Last edited:

jamrock

Imagine arguing that Perez isn't the goat, CEO

Who is better?, lol.

Only laporta has every son'ed Perez in his first go round as president, maybe If he continued there could be any argument about laporta Vs perez.

But Perez even though real Madrid have a leg up on every one in Spain, still takes advantage of it like a master.

Can't compare Edwards to Perez or anyone else to Perez.

Birdy

I get what you are saying. But there is a fallacy in the arguement.

Perez is extremely successful as a businessman, and has pivoted this success to football. With 16 years as the key decision maker in Madrid he has more than enough experience that makes him superior for Madrid than having a SD like Edwards for example. He is very involved in Madrid, and this involvement benefits them.

Obviously you can't give Perez a SD job at Liverpool because for one it is beneath him, and for two his value as Madrid President supercedes giving more power to a SD. And even then, the old man is at the forefront of data, analytics and innovations with Madrid (except ahem, perhaps, womens equality with the implementation of womens football lol).

So yeah, different systems, different necessities. Just because Perez is not classicly or academically trained in a certain area doesn't make the macrocosm with his experience any less than the model of British clubs.

This is Perez track record at Madrid and we are arguing his model is archaic just because a few Romanian crackers and Turkish Shawarmas abuse the Presidency role.

Real Madrid
  • La Liga: 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12, 2016–17, 2019–20, 2021–22
  • Liga ACB: 2004–05, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2021–22
  • Copa del Rey: 2010–11, 2013–14, 2022–23
  • Copa del Rey de Baloncesto: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2024
  • Supercopa de España: 2001, 2003, 2012, 2017, 2019–20, 2021–22, 2023–24
  • Supercopa de España de Baloncesto: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
  • UEFA Champions League: 2001–02, 2013–14, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2021–22
  • EuroLeague: 2014–15, 2017–18, 2022–23
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2002, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2022
  • Intercontinental Cup: 2002
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022
  • FIBA Intercontinental Cup: 2015
Liverpool
  • Took a quick corner.
  • Struggle to walk in solitude.

FUCK, I can't believe I just wrote a few paragraphs defending Don Flo Flo.

First of all, I agree that Perez is a clever and good businessman
The problem is that this is a kind of general financial skillset, and that does not always map upon an executive with football duties, which is a more specific skillset. Granted a good businessman can turn into a good football CEO, but it's not a given that this path is automatic

Now, Perez is not a good SD, he doesn't have the required knowledge, skills, etc. His buys are simplistic: galactico buys since his first day in office up until now. There is no sophistication or system on how they approach squad rebuilding with long-term vision (He is good at negotiating prices THO)
And he is not changing: there will always be his obsessions with whoever is the new upcoming galactico. Now it's Mbape, in next years there will be more

Did they work?
Someone would say: yes, look at CLs Perez won.
But CLs, as explained many times here, are dependent on a lot of variance, and more than half of the ones Perez won you could argue they were not deserved: luck, voodoo, etc

But if you look at the leagues, and domestic titles, which are far more reflective of a dynasty, which should have been expected given the investment:
- Perez did not succeed in his first stint with so many purchases to build an empire: Two LLs when Barca was in decline, and they were fighting with Valencia and Deportivo, when Barca built a good team with Rijkaard MAdrid could not compete despite the galacticos
- Then, his 2nd stint at the beginning he was totally dominated by the best team in the world, and were celebrating winning a Copa del rey LOL
Then, as Pep left and Barca declined, they won only 1 league between 2012 and 2019. That's a terrible record, given that at the same time they supposedly bossed their best CL team
- Now, after the best generation of Masia retired, and Barca is in heavy rebuilding, they are doing better: 3 league titles '20 '22 '24, but they are still far from being there. When you loses leagues to Atleti, and Barca is in such dire state, you have to be able to at least retain the title once.
The bad news, is that they might be able to do it now in the next couple of years, after the terrible decisions Laporta took, they look for the first time able to win 3 or 4 leagues in a row

-> Bottom line: I don't think his model succeeded at all. There is a reason other clubs with serious sporting department do not adopt this model, despite the money. PSG tried with Kelaifi and Leonardo, and it backfired in their face. CIty, despite the oil money (and cheating oc), do not go into this direction, they build a squad according to vision and needs

Porque

First of all, I agree that Perez is a clever and good businessman
The problem is that this is a kind of general financial skillset, and that does not always map upon an executive with football duties, which is a more specific skillset. Granted a good businessman can turn into a good football CEO, but it's not a given that this path is automatic

Now, Perez is not a good SD, he doesn't have the required knowledge, skills, etc. His buys are simplistic: galactico buys since his first day in office up until now. There is no sophistication or system on how they approach squad rebuilding with long-term vision (He is good at negotiating prices THO)
And he is not changing: there will always be his obsessions with whoever is the new upcoming galactico. Now it's Mbape, in next years there will be more

Did they work?
Someone would say: yes, look at CLs Perez won.
But CLs, as explained many times here, are dependent on a lot of variance, and more than half of the ones Perez won you could argue they were not deserved: luck, voodoo, etc

But if you look at the leagues, and domestic titles, which are far more reflective of a dynasty, which should have been expected given the investment:
- Perez did not succeed in his first stint with so many purchases to build an empire: Two LLs when Barca was in decline, and they were fighting with Valencia and Deportivo, when Barca built a good team with Rijkaard MAdrid could not compete despite the galacticos
- Then, his 2nd stint at the beginning he was totally dominated by the best team in the world, and were celebrating winning a Copa del rey LOL
Then, as Pep left and Barca declined, they won only 1 league between 2012 and 2019. That's a terrible record, given that at the same time they supposedly bossed their best CL team
- Now, after the best generation of Masia retired, and Barca is in heavy rebuilding, they are doing better: 3 league titles '20 '22 '24, but they are still far from being there. When you loses leagues to Atleti, and Barca is in such dire state, you have to be able to at least retain the title once.
The bad news, is that they might be able to do it now in the next couple of years, after the terrible decisions Laporta took, they look for the first time able to win 3 or 4 leagues in a row

-> Bottom line: I don't think his model succeeded at all. There is a reason other clubs with serious sporting department do not adopt this model, despite the money. PSG tried with Kelaifi and Leonardo, and it backfired in their face. CIty, despite the oil money (and cheating oc), do not go into this direction, they build a squad according to vision and needs

I agree in that Perez is the exception to the rule. But their recruitment is clearly also very good. While sometimes (eg Mbappe) it really is better to go for la crema with a galactico than analytically find an alternative, they have also adequetely found top players across the lines.

And in regards to Mbappe, given the FFP constraints Madrid manage in despite in excelling it, Florentino's strategy has paid off. Failed to sign Mbappe last Summer, yet find themselves LaLiga winners and CL semi finalists, while they will also now sign Mbappe on a free transfer this Summer. That is a big move and win.

Tchoumeni, Camavinga, Vini, Rodrygo are all players Edwards would have loved to bring to Liverpool for example. Well I know that they wanted the two midfielders, and I think Edwards was there at the time.

Actually I'm more interested to get your opinion on another question. What do you make of Ruben Amorim and his Liverpool interest. Do you think he blew the deal with his West Ham negotiation play? Or that he just was not their top target either way.

Bad more for him either way.

Home of Barca Fans