Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinBarcelonafan

Never mind his end product, his technique is so inconsistent that there's no way he'd be able to replicate what someone like Di Maria has done in his career even if he stayed fit.

With such limitations you're not going to get that far. I think Alexis Sanchez would be his ceiling.

This. Alexis in his prime is a good player.

Laplacian

Di Maria at his best is a level that Dembele simply doesn't have in his locker IMO.

In 13/14, Di Maria was arguably RM's 3rd best player in the CL...made 70% of the winning goal in the final too.

Exactly this. The claims that Dembele could be similar to Di Maria is complete nonsense. Forgetting everything about end product and on pitch intelligence and all those arguments, Dembele doesn't even have HALF the technical ability Di Maria possesses. I don't know how anyone can watch these two and come to the conclusion that they're on the same level of talent. Like DonAK said, even if he was injury free he'd never be able to replicate Di Maria's ability with the ball.

Andresito

Staff member
Lol again with the BF overreactions.

I'm not stanning for Dembele here. I don't like the footballer he is today either.
But the numbers he produced at Ligue 1 and Bundesliga, especially at that age and with big performances against big teams are pretty good. Di Maria needed another 2-3 years to produce those type of numbers.

Di Maria started as a left footed LM at Benfica with a good crossing foot, who tf thought he'd turn into this dynamic CM for Madrid.
Dembele definitely could've reached Di Maria's type of importance for both France and CL competing club. Not saying he would've automatically done it by playing more, but that's where I feel his ceiling would've been if everything would've clicked.

Laplacian

I'm not stanning for Dembele here. I don't like the footballer he is today either.
But the numbers he produced at Ligue 1 and Bundesliga, especially at that age and with big performances against big teams are pretty good. Di Maria needed another 2-3 years to produce those type of numbers.

Di Maria started as a left footed LM at Benfica with a good crossing foot, who tf thought he'd turn into this dynamic CM for Madrid.
Dembele definitely could've reached Di Maria's type of importance for both France and CL competing club. Not saying he would've automatically done it by playing more, but that's where I feel his ceiling would've been if everything would've clicked.

As we've witnessed in the past few years, any half-wit can put up great numbers in Bundesliga whilst playing for a 2nd or 3rd place team. Just look at Havertz, Sancho, Jovic, and Werner complete duds in new leagues despite putting up great numbers in Germany.

The point is, even during Dembele's peak in Dortmund his technique wasn't even half as good as Di Maria's. DonAK brilliantly explained that Dembele's inherent limitations would always restrict him from reaching the levels Di Maria reached even if he had remained injury free. A guy that struggles to trap a ball is not going to involve into some player capable of gliding throughout the entire pitch with the ball glued to his left foot. It's just not happening.

If you're going to do a "what if" scenario, perhaps pick a player with similar base attributes. Picking Di Maria just shows that you're vastly overestimating Dembele's supposed potential.

Morten

No overractions, Dembele just isn't even half as good technically as Di Maria, nor is there any evidence to suggest he could play several different roles like Di Maria either.

Neeraj

Not sure what's going on in the Messi thread but Dumbele and Di Maria :lol: Di Maria was top 3 in the world at his peak and literally unplayable. Obviously he hasn't been on that level consistently but he was devastating with his pace and technique. Dumbele is a brainless player who is only in the conversation because our team is this shit and he'd be valuable when fit.

malvolio

Not sure what's going on in the Messi thread but Dumbele and Di Maria :lol: Di Maria was top 3 in the world at his peak and literally unplayable. Obviously he hasn't been on that level consistently but he was devastating with his pace and technique. Dumbele is a brainless player who is only in the conversation because our team is this shit and he'd be valuable when fit.

messi is so good that haters derailed the thread into another barcaforum dembele wankfest.

i guess everyone always expected something more from dembele and he always disappointed(for various reasons). but somehow the guy has this aura that if he fulfilled his potential he would have been neymar level.

Laplacian

If Dembele scored 0 goals but still displayed this sort of technique on a regular basis I'd never want him to leave the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qvl4AlDYVE

Players at this level of ability don't come very often. Dude was a Real Madrid player and I still feel insulted some of you dared to compare him to Dembele. Ugh just look at the way he moves. Ugh...

Messigician

If Dembele scored 0 goals but still displayed this sort of technique on a regular basis I'd never want him to leave the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qvl4AlDYVE

Players at this level of ability don't come very often. Dude was a Real Madrid player and I still feel insulted some of you dared to compare him to Dembele. Ugh just look at the way he moves. Ugh...

Dembele had higher ceiling

Look at him in the game he destroyed bayern.

Di maria was average at benfica and rosario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans