Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Iniesta Ultra

I'm watching Miami NY match rn and the Rojas is playing better than any Barca player bar Yamal. Rojas would walk into our starting 11. How much did he cost Miami? How much does Miami spend on scouting?

But but but we need oil money to compete. GTFOOHWTB!

malvolio

Messi, Yamal, Puig, holy shit.

Even crippled Suarez can win duels unlike ragdoll and channel his former self.

Inter Miami puts a smile on my face. When's Barca doing an Inter Miami friendly? Because rn they would beat us.
Messi won't come back with Fat Fuck Laporta still in charge. Isn't it strange that the likes of Messi, Suarez or Busi never came back to watch a Barca game since leaving? I mean, they had opportunities to do it but never did.

There is still bad blood and while Laporta is still president Messi won't associate himself with the club directly.

Iniesta Ultra

Messi won't come back with Fat Fuck Laporta still in charge. Isn't it strange that the likes of Messi, Suarez or Busi never came back to watch a Barca game since leaving? I mean, they had opportunities to do it but never did.

There is still bad blood and while Laporta is still president Messi won't associate himself with the club directly.

You think they'd wanna watch Barca gimpball? I'm sure they feel as sick as I do with what Fatporta and Xavi have done to Barca.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

There is no way that 36 year old Messi does less than Mbappe and Haaland in the UCL knockouts this season.

So, the question has to be asked, and I do not feel ridiculous asking it, given the standard of football is so poor right now, is 36 year old Messi still the best player in the world?

FinBarcelonafan

There is no way that 36 year old Messi does less than Mbappe and Haaland in the UCL knockouts this season.

So, the question has to be asked, and I do not feel ridiculous asking it, given the standard of football is so poor right now, is 36 year old Messi still the best player in the world?
He was at 35, I don't see why he couldn't at 36.

Andresito

Staff member

We'll see what type of impact he has with Argentina. Hard to tell atm since MLS is a farmers league.

Messigician

Messi was a round of 16 merchant at PSG

Before and after his stint at PSG they reached the UCL semis and final each year

Messi was a round of 16 merchant at PSG

Before and after his stint at PSG they reached the UCL semis and final each year

It was unlucky that they faced two giants at that round, during two consecutives years.
They faced Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. they didn't face Real Sociedad, like they did this year for example.
Against Real Madrid, they were close to the qualification and were the better team, before the 30 last minutes of the away-leg, when Donnarumma made a surprising mistake out from nothing. Then, you know when Madrid gets on fire like usual and destroy you in minutes.
Against Bayern, the german team was overall stronger than PSG. PSG played 3-5-2 (becomes 5-3-2 defensively) with Messi and Mbappe in front. The plan was to expose the bayern's defensive line, but Upamecano was ready at that confrontation to deal with Mbappe's pace; he won all the duels against him.

The two eliminations were about the team (a collective defeat of PSG), against two giants of the UCL. It wasn't Messi's defeat, in person. He is just one of 11; and not forgetting his was 36y old. That's normal.

This same Messi inspired Argentina to win the WorldCup at the end of 2022. So, no one can speak badly of him. When Messi is surrounded by a functional team, he is unparalleled in the game

I remember the last season, Messi started it very well with PSG in the league and in UCL. He produced a lot of goals and assists.
There was a good chemistry between him, neymar, and mbappe.

Then, the WorldCup happened... and it changed everything.
Hostility started between France and Argentina. And the environment was literally toxic for Messi at his return for PSG after that world-cup. They didn't even congratulate him for winning the World-title. And many PSG fans were booeing him because of that.
They didn't even respect this football legend; and Messi lost some of the passion, when playing for that club; let's say it clearly.

Also, Neymar's injury happened in the wrong timing for PSG, because there was no replacement (There was no Barcola or Dembele on the bench to play on the wing).
Against Bayern in the knockout confrontation, Galtier (the coach) relied on a totally new system (5-3-2 or 3-5-2); a totally new tactic that is not familiar to the players. And bayern knew how to deal with it; especially with a Mbappe who didn't succeed at his counterattacking runs VS upamecano.

If Messi was in another club, with a better atmosphere, better coach, fans, and tactical systems that are suitable for the requirements, he would have surely done much better. No doubt about that. Football is a collective team after all, and especially if you're a 36y player, with a finite energy and resources.

vegitot

Messi also had quite bad luck with PSG in group stages. Both season they bottled their 1st place. Both time Messi didn't play due to injuries. If they had beat RB in 2021 or Benfica in 2022 (all home game which Messi didn't play), they would have finished 1st and likely face easier opponents.

Home of Barca Fans